Your search returned 207 results in 114 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
General James Longstreet, From Manassas to Appomattox, Chapter 18: battle of Sharpsburg, or Antietam. (search)
uglas, commanding Lawton's brigade, killed. A third of the men of Lawton's, Hays's, and Trimble's brigades were reported killed or wounded. Four of the field officers of Colquitt's brigade were killed, five were wounded, the tenth and last contused by a shell. All of Jackson's and D. H. Hill's troops engaged suffered proportionally. Hood's, Walker's, and G. T. Anderson's, though longer engaged, did not lose so severely. General Hooker's aggregate of loss was 2590; General Mansfield's, 1746. The Federal batteries, of position, on the east side were more or less busy during the engagement, having occasional opportunities for a raking fire on the troops along Jackson's line and my left. The horse artillery under Stuart was strengthening to the Confederate left, and had occasional opportunities for destructive fire across the Union right when coming into action. Although the battle along the line of contention had become defensive, there were threatening movements on the
Varina Davis, Jefferson Davis: Ex-President of the Confederate States of America, A Memoir by his Wife, Volume 2, Chapter 43: visit to New Orleans and admission to Fortress Monroe. (search)
put them on trial. What was the mean office assigned to the judiciary in this matter? It was to require it to get a jury of twelve men to find a verdict of guilty against them. He called the attention of the court to the sixth amendment of the Constitution, which said, the accused shall enjoy a speedy trial by an impartial jury, in the vicinity where the crime was alleged to have been committed. He referred to the execution of the parties tried for treason in England after the war in 1746, where the accused were carried to a distance from their homes and tried by a jury of strangers, and said it was with a knowledge of these atrocities fresh in their minds that our ancestors framed the constitutional provision quoted. They did not forbid indictments for treason in-so many words, but they rendered them utterly impossible. In framing that Constitution they never intended that a territorial civil war should be followed by indictments for treason. In the view he had presented
H. Wager Halleck , A. M. , Lieut. of Engineers, U. S. Army ., Elements of Military Art and Science; or, Course of Instruction in Strategy, Fortification, Tactis of Battles &c., Embracing the Duties of Staff, Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Engineers. Adapted to the Use of Volunteers and Militia., Chapter 14: field-engineering.—Field Fortifications.—Military Communications.—Military Bridges.—Sapping, Mining, and the attack and defence of a fortified place (search)
moderate current, will require a train of from sixty to eighty wagons. The number of wagons in a ponton train will be greatly diminished if it be found that Indian-rubber boats may be used as supports for the bridge. The engineer department of our army are making experiments to determine this point. Under favorable circumstances, and with a well-instructed corps of pontoniers, the bridge may be thrown across the river, and prepared for the passage of an army in a few hours at most. In 1746, three bridges of bateaux were thrown across the Po, near Placentia, each fifteen hundred feet in length, and entirely completed in eight hours. In 1757, two bridges of bateaux were thrown across the Rhine, at Wesel, in half an hour; again, in the same year, a third bridge was thrown across this river near Dusseldorf, in six hours. In 1841, Col. Birago, of the Austrian army, arrived on the bank of the Weisgerben arm of the Danube, with his bridge-equipage, at a round trot, and immediately beg
ether Dea. Thomas Willis, John Whitmore, Jonathan Tufts, Ebenezer Brooks, and John Willis, shall view and consider what method may be most proper for the repairing of Gravelly Bridge, and what may be the cost thereof, and make report to said town at their next town-meeting. Voted in the affirmative. June 11, 1716: Voted £ 5 to be raised for the repairing their meeting-house and mending Gravelly Bridge. The bridge over Gravelly Creek, in Ship Street, was built by a few Medford persons, in 1746, for the purpose of making a road to the tide-mill. March 4, 1751: Voted to build a new bridge of stone where the present Gravelly Bridge is. This continued till recently, when a new one, built of stone, has been widened so as to cover the entire street. March 7, 1803: Voted, that the bridges over Meetinghouse and Whitmore's Brooks, so called, be rebuilt with stone. The bridge over Marble Brook, in West Medford (called Meeting-house Brook in later times), was made of wood at first, a
omas Willis1713. Stephen Willis1714. Jonathan Tufts1715. Samuel Wade1717. Thomas Tufts1718. John Bradshaw1719. Jonathan Tufts1721. John Bradshaw1722. Thomas Tufts1723. Ebenezer Brooks1724. John Bradshaw1725. Ebenezer Brooks1726. Stephen Hall1730. Thomas Hall1732. John Hall1733. Stephen Hall1734. John Willis1736. John Hall1737. Benjamin Willis1738. John Hall1739. Benjamin Willis1740. Simon Tufts1742. John Hall1743. Benjamin Willis1744. Samuel Brooks1745. Benjamin Willis1746. Jonathan Watson1749. Samuel Brooks1750. Isaac Royal1755. Zachariah Poole1762. Isaac Royal1763. Stephen Hall1764. Isaac Royal1765. Benjamin Hall1773. Willis Hall1785. Thomas Brooks1788. Willis Hall1789. Ebenezer Hall1790. Richard Hall1794. John Brooks1796. Ebenezer Hall1798. John Brooks1803. Caleb Brooks1804. Jonathan Porter1808. Nathan Waite1810. Nathaniel Hall1812. Luther Stearns1813. Jeduthan Richardson1821. Nathan Adams1822. Turell Tufts1823. Joseph Swan1826. Dud
od about six rods west of Purchase Street, on land now owned by Mr. P. C. Hall, where it joins the land of Mr. B. L. Swan. The supply of water was small, as the present banks indicate. There he, and his only son Joseph, wove cloth by water, prepared wool for spinning, and had lathes for turning wood. His house, of two stories, which he built, stood about six rods north-east from his mill. The mill stood more than forty years, and was once used for the manufacture of pomatum and starch. 1746: This year the tidemill, near Sandy Bank, was built; and it was the first of the kind in that part of the town. As it is now standing, it may be worth while to state a few facts touching its origin. Articles of agreement were concluded, Feb. 20, 1746, between Richard Sprague, cooper, Samuel Page, yeoman, Simon Tufts, Esq., physician, John Willis, yeoman, Stephen Hall, trader, Stephen Bradshaw, yeoman, Simon Bradshaw, leather-dresser, and Benjamin Parker, blacksmith, on the one part, all of
8Lois.  9Sarah.  10Thomas.  11Lydia.  12Isaac.  13Edith.  14Ebenezer.  15Lois.  16Ephraim.  17Mary. 3-14Ebenezer Patch m. Sarah, dau. of Jacob Wright, in 1746. He had fourteen children, eight of whom died young. The surviving children were--  14-18Jacob, b. Apr. 5, 1747.  19Simon, b. July 11, 1749.  20Oliver, b. Febickering, Nov. 22, 1699; and had--  1-2Jacob, b. Aug. 22, 1700.  1Swan, Samuel, was b. 1720; was an only son; his father m. Miss Austin, of Charlestown, and d. 1746. His ancestors are said to have had large possessions in Haverhill and Methuen; and, as lately as 1798, Mr. Swan was urged to prosecute his claims by persons of rtradition reports. He had--  246-247James Tufts, who m., 1st, Phebe Woods, of Groton, and had--  a.Andrew, b. Oct. 11, 1748; d. Oct. 25, 1752.  b.Nathaniel, b. 1746; d. March 20, 1752.   From him may have been descended--  248James Tufts, jun., who m. Tabitha Binford, Apr. 19, 1757, who d. Oct. 25, 1766, aged 67
gton, 1788; Faulkner, 1761; Fessenden, 1785; Fitch, 1785; Floyd, 1750; Fowle, 1752; French, 1755. Galt, 1757; Gardner, 1721; Garret, 1732; Giles, 1719; Gill, 1738; Goddard, 1745; Gowen, 1773; Grace, 1779; Greatton, 1718; Green, 1785. Hosmer, 1746; Hunt, 1751. Kendall, 1752; Kettle, or Kettell, 1740. Lathe, Laithe, and Leathe, 1738; Learned, 1793; Le Bosquet, 1781. Mack, 1790; Mallard, 1753; Mansfield, 1759; May, 1759; MacCarthy, 1747; MacClinton, 1750; Mead, 1757; Melendy, 1732; Mn, 1796; Robbins, 1765; Rouse, 1770; Rumril, 1750; Rushby, 1735; Russul, 1733. Sables, 1758; Sargent, 1716; Scolly, 1733; Semer, 1719; Simonds, 1773; Souther, 1747; Sprague, 1763; Stocker, 1763; Storer, 1748. Tebodo, 1757; Teel, 1760; Tidd, 1746; Tilton, 1764; Tompson, 1718; Trowbridge, 1787; Turner, 1729; Tuttle, 1729; Tyzick, 1785. Wait, 1725; Waite, 1785; Wakefield, 1751; Walker, 1779; Ward, 1718; Waters, 1721; Watson, 1729; White, 1749; Whitney, 1768; William, 1762; Williston, 1769
Edward Porter Alexander, Military memoirs of a Confederate: a critical narrative, Chapter 13: Sharpsburg or Antietam (search)
artridges obtained from the dead and wounded, — with ranks reduced to skeletons, — the gap which Hooker had originally opened again yawned, even more widely, and Greene's division had entered it and was in possession of the Dunker Church and a portion of the woods near it. But the 12th corps had now, itself, lost all of its aggressiveness, and was glad to pause and await reenforcement. Mansfield had been killed early in the action, and his corps now under Williams had sustained a loss of 1746 men out of 8000. Williams's division had suffered so severely that it was withdrawn to the rear to rest and replenish ammunition. Here may be said to end in a draw the second affair. The combatants upon both sides were worn out to frazzles, and the firing had ceased entirely. The remnant of Hood's division was also withdrawn to replenish ammunition. The Tex. brigade under Wofford had lost 548 men out of 864 carried into action. The 1st Tex. regiment had lost 45 killed, 141 wounded, and
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Abercrombie, James, 1706- (search)
Abercrombie, James, 1706- military officer; born at Glassaugh, Scotland, in 1706. In 1746 he became a colonel in the British army; was made major-general in 1756, lieutenant-general in 1759, and general in 1772. He came to America in 1756, where he held the chief military command until the arrival of Lord Loudoun. After the departure of that officer, Abercrombie resumed the command. In July, 1758, he attacked Ticonderoga (q. v.) with a large force, but was repulsed with a loss of about 2,000 men. He was succeeded by General Amherst in September following; returned to England in 1759, and became a member of Parliament, wherein he advocated the obnoxious measures that led to the War of the Revolution in 1775. He died April 28, 1781, while Governor of Stirling Castle. military officer; son of Gen. James Abercrombie. He had served on the staff of General Amherst, in America, and was commissioned a lieutenant in the British army in March, 1770. While leading the British G
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...