hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 2 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

te, that every man may work out his own highway tax, and they fix the prices for a day's labor of man, and of a man and team. In 1715, Rev. Aaron Porter, Peter Seccomb, Peter Waite, Thomas Tufts, and Benjamin Parker, wish some enlargement of the road near the bridge, they being residents there; and the town direct a Committee to see about the matter. They fix the width of the road at the bridge at two rods and twelve feet; and report the road leading to Woburn wide enough already. Feb. 20, 1746: Several gentlemen of Medford agree to open a road from the market to Wade's bank, or Sandy bank (Cross Street), and build a bridge over Gravelly Creek. It was done; and made a convenient way to the tide-mill. See further account under the head of Mills. Medford Turnpike.--The construction of turnpikes in New England made an era in travelling and in speculations. Medford had long felt the need of a way to the metropolis more convenient for the transportation of heavy loads than tha
ed wool for spinning, and had lathes for turning wood. His house, of two stories, which he built, stood about six rods north-east from his mill. The mill stood more than forty years, and was once used for the manufacture of pomatum and starch. 1746: This year the tidemill, near Sandy Bank, was built; and it was the first of the kind in that part of the town. As it is now standing, it may be worth while to state a few facts touching its origin. Articles of agreement were concluded, Feb. 20, 1746, between Richard Sprague, cooper, Samuel Page, yeoman, Simon Tufts, Esq., physician, John Willis, yeoman, Stephen Hall, trader, Stephen Bradshaw, yeoman, Simon Bradshaw, leather-dresser, and Benjamin Parker, blacksmith, on the one part, all of Medford, and owners of land; and, on the other part, Stephen Hall, Samuel Page, and Stephen Willis, of Medford, husbandmen, and Benjamin Parker, of Charlestown, housewright, as undertakers. They, of the first part, give the portions of land they o
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The Cutter family and its connection with a tide mill in Medford. (search)
we have mentioned: Funeral, Medford, 1788, Oct. 17—Mr. John Cutter, the miller— The title to the Cutter tide mill in Medford appears to be as follows, according to the published history of Medford: In 1746 the tide mill near Sandy Bank was built, the first of its kind in that part of the town. Its origin arose in articles of agreement between a number of citizens, owners of the land, and a number of other citizens who were the undertakers of the enterprise. These articles were dated Feb. 20, 1746. Certain procedure was necessary to complete the undertaking, such as giving lands, and opening a straight road from the market to the mill site, and building a stone bridge over Gravelly creek for the mill's accommodation, the building of a dam, etc. The mill was to be ready for use before the last day of September, 1746. It was successfully completed and answered well its purpose. Timothy Waite, Jr., acquired possession at an early period in its history. Seth Blodget bought it of h