Your search returned 3 results in 3 document sections:

finny adventurers, or when filth and poisons had not made their highways dangerous. We think it will be found that several species of fish will have periodic returns to places which they have left for many years. Acts of legislation have not been wanting by our town or State; but the fish care nothing about votes. The first mention of specific action by the town, as such, is dated Jan. 18, 1768, when it was voted to petition the General Court concerning the fishery in this town. March 3, 1768: Mr. Benjamin Hall and others petition the General Court for liberty to draw with seines, at two different places in Mistick River, three days in a week. This petition was not acted upon for some years. The next act of the General Court, touching this prolific trade in Medford, was in Feb. 16, 1789, and was as follows:-- An act to prevent the destruction of fish called shad and alewives in Mystic River, so called, within the towns of Cambridge, Charlestown, and Medford, and for re
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Fauquier, Francis 1720- (search)
Fauquier, Francis 1720- Colonial governor; born in Virginia about 1720. When Dinwiddie was recalled in 1758 Fauquier succeeded as lieutenant-governor; and when the Assembly in 1764 adopted Patrick Henry's resolution declaring that the sole right of taxation was in the colonial legislature, he dissolved the Assembly and also refused to summon the House of Burgesses to take action upon the invitation sent out by Massachusetts in 1765 for co-operation. He died March 3, 1768.
f his father's lands, about 1725, one showing the location of the Mill-Pond, Dam and Yard, and the lands adjoining divided among the sons; also of upland and meadow lying in the bounds of Charlestown, in a place called Menotomy Fields, abutting on the Road to Charlestown and Menotomy River, and divided among the sons. Richard Cutter sold his fourth of the cornmill and sawmill to John in 1731, and Samuel sold his fourth of the cornmill and sawmill to William in 1732. John Cutter, on March 3, 1768, sold to Jonathan Cutter, only heir of the last William, one half of the ancient milldam, yard and pond, containing two and one half acres, shown in plan of the date of about 1725, being John's estate of inheritance in fee simple, and also the old mill-privilege originally belonging to Colonel George Cooke. Jonathan Cutter, on March 25, 1768, sold to Ammi Cutter the same premises, being described as one certain ancient milldam, pond and yard, containing by estimation two acres and a half