hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 1 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

of water to the mill. The undertakers then bind themselves to erect a good gristmill on the spot of land above mentioned; and said mill shall be ready to go at or before the last day of September next. As guaranty for each party, they bind themselves in the penal sum of five hundred pounds. The mill was completed, and answered its purpose. It afterwards came into the possession of Timothy Waite, jun. He sold it to Seth Blodget, March 9, 1761. Mr. Blodget sold it to Matthew Bridge, Oct. 18, 1780. Mr. Bridge sold one half of it to John Bishop, April 7, 1783; and sold the other half to John Bishop, jun., April 29, 1784. John Bishop sold the whole to Gershom Cutter, who sold to Samuel Cutter, who sold to George T. Goodwin, its present owner. This mill has had various fortunes, and, by turns, has done all sorts of work. Whether it has been most successful in grinding grain or mustard-seeds or paints, or in sawing mahogany and turning wood, we know not. May 10, 1766: It was a
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The Cutter family and its connection with a tide mill in Medford. (search)
taking, such as giving lands, and opening a straight road from the market to the mill site, and building a stone bridge over Gravelly creek for the mill's accommodation, the building of a dam, etc. The mill was to be ready for use before the last day of September, 1746. It was successfully completed and answered well its purpose. Timothy Waite, Jr., acquired possession at an early period in its history. Seth Blodget bought it of him on March 9, 1761. Matthew Bridge followed Blodget on Oct. 18, 1780. Mr. Bridge disposed of it to the Bishops —John, Senior, and John, Junior—in 1783 and 1784, and John Bishop, probably the junior, sold the whole to Gershom Cutter, who was followed in ownership by Samuel Cutter, George T. Goodwin, and Joseph Manning. These items regarding the Cutters differ a little from the statements of the preceding articles, which are based on facts received from descendants (mostly now deceased) of the John Cutter who first occupied the mill before the year 1788.