Your search returned 4 results in 4 document sections:

r. 11, 1866 Kings Chapel, Tremont and School streets, built of wood, 1688 Rebuilt of stone and completed, Aug. 21, 1754 The tower blown down in a storm, Oct. 10, 1804 Remaining in use, Jan. 1, 1880 Kneeland street, corner Tyler, dedicated, Sep. 29, 1853 Lynde street, wood frame raised, Sep. 7, 1736 Used for barracks for British troops, Oct., 1775 Churches Lynde street. New brick house, corner-stone laid, Apr. 4. 1806 Had the first Sunday School in a Church, Sep. 7, 1812 Maverick and Bremen streets, dedicated, Dec. 29, 1852 Maverick and Sumner streets, dedicated, Feb. 6, 1845 Marlboro and Berkeley streets, corner-stone laid, Apr. 4, 1867 May street, African, built, dedicated, May 24, 1824 Methodist African, built of wood, dedicated, May 15, 1796 Meridian street and Havre, built, 1846 Merrimac street, Congregational, dedicated, July 19, 1837 New North, built of wood, on Middle street, dedicated, May 7, 1714 New brick house comple
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The pump in the market place; and other water supplies of Medford, old and modern. (search)
clock brought a continuous flow of water. This handle, placed in line with the spout, was somewhat unwieldy to work, taxed the muscle of the urchins, and it took two small boys to get one good drink. This double pump was incased in wood 34 inches by 16, the back and front having the greater width, and this tower-like structure was about 9 feet high. It is not known when a pump of this description was first put in, but perhaps the following order may shed some light on the subject:— 7 Sept. 1812 Voted To put another pump in the well in the square and repair the old one and set posts and a rail about the well &c. The Salem pump said I am at the head of the fire department, so it was fitting for Medford to put her pumps and reservoirs under the charge of the fire department, and the history of them is best told as we quote quite fully from the reports of the chief engineers. Under the expense of the fire department of 1844 is an item of $25 for damage done to Rebecca Cutter's
he Potomac, to recall a few incidents connected with battle, murder and sudden death. On the 2d day of September, 1814, General Gaines repulsed the British army at Fort Erie On the 3d of September, 1650, Cromwell routed and destroyed the Scottish army under David Leslie at Dunbar. On the 3d of September, 1652, he did the same job at Worcester for Charles II. On the 3d of September 1659, he died. There are few coincidences in all history more singular than these. On the seventh of September, 1812, was fought the great battle of Borodino, in Russia, seventy miles from Moscow. According to some accounts, the loss on both sides was ninety-seven thousand men. One account makes it out one hundred and seventeen thousand.--It was one of the bloodiest battles of modern times. On the 8th of September, 1781. General Green defeated the British army at Eutaw Springs. On the 8th of September, 1847, General Taylor defeated the Mexicans at Monterey. On the 8th of September, 1855, the
ancled resemblance, on the map, to that part of a lady's gown. The province of La Manche is on the channel, and is called after it. It is a province of what was formerly called Normandy, and is really the country from which the French army began its march in 1865. This might have been a type graphical error,--we suppose indeed it was — but it is a very serious error. The translator tells us that the battle of Borodino was fought on the 6th September, 1812. It was fought on the 7th September, 1812. "On the day preceding the battle a strong advanced work had been carried by the French with considerable daughter." The redoubt of Schwardino — which we presume is the "advance work" here alluded to was carried on the 5th September two days preceding the battle of Borodino. These are but small blemishes, it is true; but in as much as they indicate baste and carelessness in the translator, they call for the notice, of the press. We do not mean by any means to detract from the val