Your search returned 5 results in 5 document sections:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Rhode Island, (search)
corporated......1822 Reception given General Lafayette at Providence......Aug. 23, 1824 Commodore Perry dies, aged thirty-four, of yellow fever, on the United States schooner Nonesuch in the harbor of Port Spain, island of Trinidad; buried with military honors at Newport......Dec. 4, 1826 Act establishing public schools throughout the State......January, 1828 Race riot in Providence begins between sailors and negroes, military aid is called in and the riot act read......Sept. 21-24, 1831 City of Providence incorporated......Nov. 22, 1832 Company incorporated to construct a railroad from Providence to Stonington in 1832, and railroad building commenced......1835 Fort Adams in Newport Harbor, begun in 1824, is completed......1839 Convention of delegates elected by friends of extension of suffrage, without regard to the law regulating the right of voting, at Providence, Oct. 4, 1841, forms a people's constitution, and declares it adopted by a vote of the people....
ur city's supply of water, surrounded by its woody, irregular shores and grand avenues for pleasure-driving. The first committee for the cemetery was composed of influential men, the late Judge Story being chairman. It met August 3, 1831, and received a very encouraging report. August 8th, another committee was selected to procure a survey, and a plan for laying out lots. This survey was by Alexander Wadsworth, civil engineer. The consecration of the cemetery occurred on Saturday, September 24, 1831, the late Judge Story delivering the address, in Consecration Dell, as it has since been called. An audience of two thousand persons, seated in a temporary amphitheatre among the trees, added a scene of picturesque beauty to the impressive solemnity of the occasion. In the year 1835 the legislature incorporated the proprietors as the Mount Auburn Corporation. The first purchase of land contained seventy-two acres; the present area is one hundred and thirty-six acres. The f
eorge Bond, Charles Wells, Benjamin A. Gould, and George W. Pratt. At the same time, arrangements were made for a public religious consecration, to be held on the Society's grounds. At a meeting, August 8th, a sub-committee was appointed to procure an accurate topographical survey of Mount Auburn, and report a plan for laying it out into lots. This service was performed subsequently by Mr. Alexander Wadsworth, Civil Engineer. The consecration of the Cemetery took place on Saturday, September 24th, 1831. A temporary amphitheatre was fitted up with seats, in one of the deep vallies of the wood, having a platform for the speakers erected at the bottom. An audience of nearly two thousand persons were seated among the trees, adding a scene of picturesque beauty to the impressive solemnity of the occasion. The order of performances was as follows:-- 1. Instrumental Music, by the Boston Band. 2. Introductory Prayer, by Rev. Dr. Ware. 3. Hymn, The Rev. Mr. Pierpont. To the
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), Sweet Auburn and Mount Auburn. (search)
shades; in meditation calm For thy chafed spirit shall be found a balm. Thought, in this lovely place, more holy grows, Feeling's deep current here more tranquil flows, A calm, a soothing influence o'er the heart These scenes so fair, so beautiful impart. Blest, O Mount Auburn, be thy leafy shades! Blest be thy hills, thy streams, thy cool, green glades! The solemn service of the dedication of the lovely grounds as the holy resting-place sacred to the dead was held in Mount Auburn, September 24, 1831. Calm was the morning of that lovely day, The autumnal sun in golden splendor lay On the smooth turf, the broad enamelled plain, The waving harvest field of ripened grain, And shed its glory o'er the forest wide, In rich and glowing colors deeply dyed. Upon the earth the cloudless heavens smiled, The soft southwest breathed perfume faint and mild. Such kindly influence from above was shed Upon that day which gave thee to the dead. Where the green hills, rising abrupt and steep, Gua
y of January, 1812, Jonathan L. and Benjamin Austin, for $791.67, conveyed to the town two acres one quarter and twenty rods of land, bounded north by Broadway and east by Norfolk Street, with a right of way to Harvard Street by a passage forty feet wide. For more than half a century this ground was used as a public burying-place, chiefly by the inhabitants of Cambridgeport and East Cambridge. Meantime the beautiful cemetery at Mount Auburn was consecrated by solemn religious services, Sept. 24, 1831, and the less extensive but scarcely less beautiful and attractive Cambridge Cemetery was in like manner consecrated, Nov. 1, 1854. In one or the other of these cemeteries many of the inhabitants purchased lots, and reverently removed to a more quiet and secluded resting place the remains of their deceased friends. The ground, being comparatively disused for new burials, and divested of many treasures formerly deposited therein, gradually assumed a desolate and forlorn appearance, unti