Your search returned 4 results in 4 document sections:

prehend, that the representation of the positions of brigades and divisions of troops in action, by lines upon a diagram, can only be approximately correct. The lines of ink are, of course, stationary; the lines of troops in action are never long so. The relative position assigned to two divisions on the diagram may be a correct representation of their relation on the field of actual strife, for a fleeting moment only; a minute more may have changed it. The diagram must, perforce, either contain both of two divisions at once, which in fact only occupied the field successively; or it must suggest a still graver error, by the total omission of one of them. But if these obvious considerations are borne in mind, and the illustrations are studied in connection with the narrative, they will convey no mistake, and will be found to represent, with general correctness, the positions and movements of the Confederate troops. Robert L. Dabney. Union Theological Seminary, Va., April 1, 1866.
rton, of Indiana. He sent General R. S. Foster, of Indianapolis, to Springfield, to examine into Doctor Stephenson's plan of organization. General Foster met the latter, and was obligated by him. On his return, he obligated a number of his intimate comrades, and these he constituted as a department organization. The first post of this department was organized at Indianapolis, on the 22d of August, 1866. Doctor Stephenson had issued, as department commander, General Orders No. 1, on April 1, 1866, at Springfield, in which he announced the following officers: General Jules C. Webber, aide-de-Camp and chief of staff; Major Robert M. Woods, adjutant-general; Colonel John M. Snyder, quartermaster-general; Captain John S. Phelps, aide-de-camp, and Captain John A. Lightfoot, assistant adjutant-general, on duty at the Federal generals--no. 24 Pennsylvania (continued) Thomas R. Rowley, originally Colonel of the 102d regiment. Charles T. Campbell, originally Colonel o
Frederick H. Dyer, Compendium of the War of the Rebellion: Regimental Histories, Nebraska Volunteers. (search)
ordered mounted October 11, 1863, and designation changed to 1st Nebraska Cavalry November 6, 1863 (which see). Independent Company Omaha Scouts. Organized at Omaha May 3, 1865. Attached to District of Nebraska. Scout from Fort Kearney, Neb., May 19-26, 1865. Powder River Expedition June 20-October 7. Actions on the Powder River September 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8. Operating against Indians on the Plains and protecting lines of communications and emigrants till July, 1866. Mustered out July 16, 1866. Independent Company a Pawnee Scouts. Organized at Columbus, Neb., January 13, 1865. Attached to District of Nebraska. At Fort Kearney, Neb., February, 1865. At Fort Rankin April, 1865. Powder River Expedition June 20-October 7, 1865. Action at Tongue River August 28. Actions on Powder River September 1-8. Operations on the Plains against Indians and protecting lines of communications and emigrants till April, 1866. Mustered out April 1, 1866.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., History of the Medford High School. (search)
of having the premises then properly represented upon parchment, as has from that time been the custom. Music. Though singing had been a previous exercise in the school, music was not introduced as a science till April 1, 1862. At that date the services of Mr. Henry G. Carey were secured for the high and grammar schools and were afterward shared with the schools of lower grade. Mr. Carey held the position till June 30, 1884, except for two years which he spent in Europe. From April 1, 1866, to April 1, 1867, Mr. S. H. Hadley took his place, and from September 1, 1876, to September 1, 1877, the place was filled by Mr. C. R. Bill. Upon the resignation of Mr. Carey, Mr. S. H. Hadley received the appointment which he now holds. Drawing. Drawing was taught by the lady assistants from about 1858 to 1873, and well-executed copies of heads, animals, landscapes, and other objects were wont to be exhibited at the annual examinations. In 1873 there came a sudden developme