Your search returned 21 results in 17 document sections:

1 2
Henry Morton Stanley, Dorothy Stanley, The Autobiography of Sir Henry Morton Stanley, part 2.13, chapter 2.16 (search)
d the more tasks I receive, the happier is my life. I want work, close, absorbing, and congenial work, only so that there will be no time for regrets, and vain desires, and morbid thoughts. In the interval, books come handy. I have picked up Helvetius and Zimmerman, in Alexandria, and, though there is much wisdom in them, they are ill-suited to young men with a craze for action. And now he is back at headquarters in London, and gets his orders for Spain; and there he spends six months, March to September, 1869, describing various scenes of the revolution, and the general aspect of the country, in a graphic record. These letters are among the best of his descriptive writings. The Spanish scenery and people; the stirring events; the barricades and street-fighting; the leaders and the typical characters; the large issues at stake — all make a great and varied theme. On arriving in Spain, Stanley commenced studying Spanish, with such success, that, by June, he was able to make
the Ohio, at Perryville and another in the Army of the Cumberland at Stone's River, for which service he was made major-general of volunteers and fought with great ability at Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. In April, 1864, he was transferred to the command of the Cavalry Corps, Army of the Potomac, and in August he was put at the head of the Army of the Shenandoah and defeated Early at Cedar Creek. In December, 1864, he was made major-general in the regular army, lieutenant-general in March, 1869, and general June 1, 1888. He died in Nonquit, Massachusetts, August 5, 1888. Brevet major-general Alfred Thomas Thomas Torbert (U. S.M. A. 1855) was born in Georgetown, Delaware, July 1, 1833. He entered the Civil War as colonel of the First New Jersey Volunteers, and commanded a brigade in the Sixth Army Corps. He had command of a division in the Sixth Corps, March-April, 1864, after which he had a division in the Cavalry Corps, and was given command of the Corps on August 6,
John M. Schofield, Forty-six years in the Army, Chapter XV (search)
of the change in his plan of battle for December 15, which was made the day before. (6) In the publication of my report in the War Records there is a foot-note which says that the orders and correspondence referred to are not found with the report filed in the War Department—a fact similar to that which I had found in respect to my own retained copies of orders and correspondence, which I understood had been carefully locked up in a strong leather trunk ever since I left Washington in March, 1869, but which had nevertheless mysteriously disappeared. In that report of mine was a reference to the modification made in General Thomas's published plan of battle for December 15, though no intimation that it was made at my suggestion; also the statement that I had, after the close of the battle of December 15, waited upon the commanding general and received his orders for the pursuit, but no mention of the previous written orders to the same effect, which had become obsolete by opera
John M. Schofield, Forty-six years in the Army, Chapter XXI (search)
h endangered the peace of the country could be adjusted. I gave my consent, the nomination was promptly sent to the Senate, and that body, in spite of its very large majority in opposition to the President, confirmed the appointment with almost entire unanimity. The impeachment was dismissed, and that dangerous farce, which had come within one or two votes of inflicting lasting disgrace upon the country, happily came to an end. Upon the inauguration of the newly elected President in March, 1869, I laid down the war portfolio without having incurred censure from either party for any of my official acts, and with the approbation of all for impartial discharge of duty. But, apparently lest such a thing might possibly happen again, Congress made haste to pass a law prohibiting any army officer from thereafter holding any civil office whatever! In 1895 that law was so modified as not to apply to officers on the retired list! It is a singular coincidence that I had just then been r
John M. Schofield, Forty-six years in the Army, Chapter XXIII (search)
hat one was so great a man, in his own estimation, I flattered myself that was the only reason he had not called to greet me. So when I returned to St. Louis in March, 1869, the good citizens of that place gave me a banquet and a most cordial welcome, in which all participated, save one, of those who had seemed to be my most bittere recognized leaders in the movement, to obtain my removal from the command in Missouri, was among the most cordial in his expressions of esteem and regard from March, 1869, up to the time of his death, at which time I was in command of the army. But his principal associate, the Hon. Henry T. Blow, could not forgive me, for what elf may also be crushed. A soldier who is not ready to meet his fate in that way, as well as in battle, is not fit to command. In President Grant's order of March, 1869, assigning the general officers to commands, the Department of the Missouri again fell to my lot. I relieved Lieutenant-General Sheridan, who took command of th
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), First republic in America. (search)
First republic in America. See New Orleans. Fish, Hamilton, statesman; son of Col. Nicholas Fish; born in New York Hamilton Fish. City, Aug. 3, 1808; graduated at Columbia College in 1827; admitted to the bar in 1830; and was elected to Congress in 1842. In 1848 he was chosen governor Nicholas Fish. of the State of New York, and in 1851 became a member of the United States Senate, acting with the Republican party after its formation in 1856. He was a firm supporter of the government during the Civil War, and in March, 1869, was called to the cabinet of President Grant as Secretary of State, and remained in that post eight years, during which time he assisted materially in settling various disputes with Great Britain, of which the Alabama claims controversy was the most important. He was presidentgeneral of the Society of the Cincinnati, and for many years president of the New York Historical Society. He died in New York City. Sept. 7, 1893.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Halleck, Henry wager 1815- (search)
tlan, and was made lieutenant-governor. From Aug. 13, 1847, to Dec. 20, 1849, he was secretary of the province and Territory of California, and had a large share in preparing the State constitution. He left the army in 1854, and began the practice of law in San Francisco. In August, 1861, he was appointed a major-general of the regular army, and succeeded Fremont in command of the Western Department in November. In 1862 he took command of the army before Corinth, and in July of that year he was appointed general-in-chief, and held that post until superseded by Grant, when he became chief of staff of the army, remaining such till April, 1865, when he was placed in command of the Military Division of the James, with his headquarters at Richmond. In August he was transferred to the Division of the Pacific, and in March, 1869, to that of the South, with headquarters at Louisville, where he died Jan. 9, 1872. General Halleck published several works upon military and scientific topics.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), McCulloch, Hugh 1808- (search)
as appointed comptroller of the currency under the new national banking law, and two years later became Secretary of the Treasury. At this time there was a tremendous financial strain upon the government, on account of the heavy war expenses. In less than six months, however, after his appointment as Secretary of the Treasury, a large amount of the money due 500,000 soldiers and sailors was paid, and besides the payment of other obligations a considerable reduction was made in the national debt. His conversion of more than $1,000,000,000 of short-time obligations into a funded loan in less than two years placed the whole public debt on a satisfactory basis. He was Secretary of the Treasury till March, 1869, and afterwards was engaged in banking in London till 1878. In 1884 President Arthur recalled him to the Treasury Department, where he remained till March, 1885. He died near Washington, D. C., May 24, 1895. Secretary McCulloch was author of Men and measures of half a century.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Senate, United States (search)
. 24, 1879, till March 3, 1879. Three men of the same family— James A. Bayard, his son of the same name, and his grandson, Thomas F. Bayard—represented Delaware, the first from January, 1805, till March, 1813; the second from April, 1867, till March, 1869, and the third from March, 1869, till March, 1885. Three other men of the same family name also represented Delaware in the Senate—Joshua Clayton, from Jan. 19, 1798, till his death the following July; Thomas Clayton, from Jan. 8, 1824, till MMarch, 1869, till March, 1885. Three other men of the same family name also represented Delaware in the Senate—Joshua Clayton, from Jan. 19, 1798, till his death the following July; Thomas Clayton, from Jan. 8, 1824, till March 3, 1827, and again from Jan. 9, 1837, till March 3, 1847; John M. Clayton, from March 4, 1845, till Feb. 23, 1849, and again from March 4, 1853, till his death, Nov. 9, 1856. Three men named Bell, two of them brothers, the third a son of one of them, represented New Hampshire in the Senate—Samuel Bell, from March 4, 1823, till March 4, 1835; his son, James Bell, from July 30, 1855, till May 26, 1859, and Charles Henry Bell from March 13, 1879, till June 17, 1879. At one time during the
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Seward, William Henry 1801-1872 (search)
been a place of resort for Booth and his accomplices. Three others were sentenced to imprisonment, at hard labor, for life, and one for six months. President Johnson offered $100,000 reward for the arrest of Jefferson Davis; $25,000 apiece for the arrest of Jacob Thompson, C. C. Clay, G. N. Saunders, and Beverly Tucker; and $10,000 for the arrest of W. C. Cleary. Mr. Seward never recovered fully from the shock of the accident and the assassin's attack. Retiring from public life in March, 1869, he made an extended tour through California and Oregon to Alaska, and in August, 1870, accompanied by some of his family, he set out upon a tour around the world, returning to Auburn in October, 1871. He had been everywhere received with marks of high consideration. His recorded observations were edited by his adopted daughter, and published. Mr. Seward's Works (4 vols.), contained his speeches in legislative debates, eulogies in the Senate of several of his colleagues, occasional add
1 2