hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 631 results in 400 document sections:

... 35 36 37 38 39 40
rack, first-class equipment in all respects, it does not earn its expenses. Engineers. Joseph Seavy. Robert Gregg. James B. Rice. George Folsom. John F. Sanborn. Conductors. John F. Sanborn. Ralph Smith. William Crook. Edward Weymouth. Albert Hamilton. John F. Sanborn was conductor a short time and then station agent at South Reading, and later in a provision store, ship-yard, and policeman in Medford; later was engineer on the Medford Branch until the railroad strike in 1877, then to New York Elevated, where he died about 1880. Mr. Sanborn will be remembered as the engineer who, feeling bound by his membership in the Brotherhood of Engineers, left his engine when the general strike was ordered. He, however, ran it into the engine house and left it in proper order and safe condition, this in contrast to some others. The strike was unsuccessful, and later a company of Medford citizens asked for his reinstatement. The managers bore testimony to his previous e
bought. Next came two other bells, at about the same time, about which we may not be exact. One was the Old Bughorn. Of the significance of such a title I have failed to learn, but such was the name given to the ship-yard bell that, placed on the building of James O. Curtis, was rung at the hours of labor's commencing and close, in the days when times were busy along the Mystic river. When the ship-building business declined, the bell was disused, and for years remained silent. But, in 1877, the town built a schoolhouse near Malden line, which was called the Curtis school, and Mr. Curtis donated to it the shipyard bell. It hangs in an iron yoke, with a solid wheel of wood for the bell-rope. The tongue of this bell is somewhat peculiar, in that it swings in all directions. This is a small bell, 14 inches high and 19 inches diameter. An ornamental design encircles its crown, and above it is the inscription, Cast by G. L. Hanks, Cincinnati, Ohio. No mark of weight, tone, or da
his time her salary amounted to thirteen hundred dollars, the largest sum she received in Medford. In the school report for 1875-6 may be found this comment:— Miss E. M. Barr's return to her place in the school was greeted with satisfaction by her old pupils and by the public at large. The committee have seen with pleasure that she brings to the discharge of her duties all her former energy and enthusiasm, securing even more than the old measure of success. At the end of the term of 1877 Miss Barr left Medford to take charge of an endowed school for girls in South Boston. The school report for that year reads as follows:— The committee were reluctantly compelled, at the close of the summer term, to accept the resignation of Miss Ellen M. Barr, she having a call to a higher and more lucrative position in Boston. The committee gratefully acknowledge the service she rendered to the High School during her long connection with it. She brought to the discharge of her duties n
he knockers all to pieces. The traveler who thus wrote was Rev. B. F. Tefft, D. D., the editor whose Tracks covered a journey from Cincinnati, O., to Bangor, Me., and return. In this section quoted from, he described Boston and suburbs as seen from the State House cupola, and in another place we find that Captain Rich was of Brookline. He visited Bath, Me., and mentions its ship-building, but as inferior to that of Medford in amount. His publication at New York and Cincinnati, 1840-1877, was that devoted to literature and religion issued by the Book Concern of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and held the esteem of the people as the queen of the monthlies. It would seem that such a one as he would not be imposed on by any fake, and now, after sixty-eight years, we wonder (to use his word) if Medford had then a Luther Burbank, as we later knew, to our sorrow and cost, of Professor Leopold Trouvelot, of gypsy-moth fame. Who of our horticultural friends can throw any light on
Mrs. Putnam was presented by her father and friends with a horse, a lady's saddle and other travelling equipment; also two cows and twelve sheep. Now came the tug of love—separation from home and all its endearments—fond caresses and hearty farewells were exchanged, and the youthful bride of sixteen, with the husband, each mounted on the saddle, took up the march for her new home in the old Bay State, driving the cows and sheep before them. The above was (as we understand) reprinted in 1877 from information given by the lady herself when about ninety years of age. Henry Putnam was the youngest son of Deacon Eleazer Putnam [of Danvers] and sold what was his father's homestead about 1745 to Phinehas Putnam, the great grandfather of the present occupant. A query arises—was the new home in the old Bay State to which the bridal party came with cows and sheep in Medford or Danvers? The Louisburg expedition was in the spring of 1745. Was the veteran of Louisburg from Danvers or Me<
gth of the linefeilde, obliterating the last vestige of the old Broughton mill-site, the old Dunster house, changing the course of Menotomy river, passing through the Somerville appendix and only entering Medford at Auburn street. By the taking of this riverside by the Metropolitan Park Commission came later the sale of several houses, and their removal, but prior to that three others, built in 1873 and 1875, were removed for similar cause as those on Beach street. One even took a journey, in 1877, over the Usher bridge into Arlington, via Broadway to Curtis street (the Somerville continuation of Medford's Winthrop) where it now stands, near the western corner of the reservoir, in West Somerville. It was a notable incident, for in its journey it was in three municipalities, and only lacked a few rods of being in Medford again. But before this triple exodus, owing to the extension of Brooks street (from Irving to High) the barn of Samuel Teele, Sr., was moved to Arlington street, as
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., History of the Medford High School. (search)
afterward accepted the mastership in a Charlestown grammar school. Mr. Isaac Ames (Dartmouth, 1839) took the position March 16, 1841, and held it till April 1, 1844. His absence of four weeks in 1841 was supplied by Mr. A. K. Hathaway, who afterwards became principal of the Centre Grammar School and still later the head of a successful private school on Ashland Street. Mr. Ames became a lawyer in Boston and was Judge of Probate for Suffolk County for nineteen years, till his death in 1877, at the age of fifty-seven years. Mr. M. T. Gardner resigned his mastership in the East Grammar School, April 14, 1844, to take that of the High School till September 14 of the same year. Mr. Edwin Wright (Yale, 1844) taught from September 16, 1844, to September 13, 1815, when he accepted a mastership in the Eliot School, in Boston, at more than twice the salary paid him in Medford. He became a lawyer and for some years was Judge of the Municipal Court in Boston, in which city he is st
al Church, where is now the fire station. The new station of stone is a substantial one, but not in use when the view was taken. Its floor was lower than the tracks, and the octagonal tower, with bell-shaped roof, was an afterthought, added to relieve the somewhat squat appearance. Later, a locomotive vane was placed on it. This building is the subject of a booklet, A Novel Cabinet, giving a geological list of its stones. The buildings across High street were moved from Holton street in 1877, enlarged, and made into stores and tenements, one always a pharmacy, the other till recently a market. Note the cross-over and siding tracks and the old switch target, the freight room and annex of early days. These were removed across the tracks, made into a store (now and for years a laundry). Into it Mr. Willey moved the post office in July, 1870. Nahum Wilber succeeded him in both positions and there set up a periodical and notion store in a little room made between the waitingrooms
Annie Elvira Durgin For many years an interested member of the Historical Society, a native of Medford, and since 1877 a teacher in the public schools, closed her long and faithful service, and after a wearisome fatal sickness entered into her rest on Saturday, October 17, 1925. In former issues the Register has presented her memorials of her associates, and now we can do no better, and wish to add the following by her associates at Washington School, as presented in the Medford Messenger.— Hardly a year has gone since Annie E. Durgin was in active service at the Washington School. Now she is called to a higher service to which she has deservedly been promoted. Through all the long weary months of her suffering, her old indomitable spirit had never failed. Her supreme faith in God, her love of life only so long as she could be of service, made her courageously face the inevitable end. We said that she was a teacher of the old school. Whether that were true or not, we
The Daily Dispatch: June 4, 1861., [Electronic resource], Additional Foreign News by the America. (search)
ur. Latest Markets. Liverpool, Saturday Evening, May 18.--The sales of cotton to-day reached 10,000 bales, of which 4,000 were taken by speculators and exporters — Market closed quiet. Breadstuffs quiet. Corn closed with a declining tendency, but no actual change in rates. The steamship which left to-day for Halifax and Boston took out £260,000 in specie. Have Cotton Market.--Cotton steady at a decline of 1fr; tres ordinaire 109; bas 103; sales of the week 12,500 bales. Stock in port 280,000 bales. American Securities.--Baring Bros. quote American securities firmer, with an improved demand. U. S. 6's, 1867-8, were offered at 80; U. S. 5's sold at 74; Pennsylvania 5's. 1877, 68@72; N. Y. Central Shares 67; N. Y. Central 7's 90@92; do 6's 86; Erie shares 22; do. 3d mortgage 74½ Illinois Central shares 38½discount. Financial.--The bullion in the Bank of England has decreased £49,000 since the last weekly return. The rates have been advanced to 6 perc
... 35 36 37 38 39 40