hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Historic leaves, volume 8, April, 1909 - January, 1910 2 2 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 32. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 2 2 Browse Search
The Photographic History of The Civil War: in ten volumes, Thousands of Scenes Photographed 1861-65, with Text by many Special Authorities, Volume 1: The Opening Battles. (ed. Francis Trevelyan Miller) 2 2 Browse Search
Hon. J. L. M. Curry , LL.D., William Robertson Garrett , A. M. , Ph.D., Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 1.1, Legal Justification of the South in secession, The South as a factor in the territorial expansion of the United States (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 2 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16. 2 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 10. 2 2 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. 2 2 Browse Search
John Harrison Wilson, The life of Charles Henry Dana 2 2 Browse Search
Cambridge History of American Literature: volume 1, Colonial and Revolutionary Literature: Early National Literature: Part I (ed. Trent, William Peterfield, 1862-1939., Erskine, John, 1879-1951., Sherman, Stuart Pratt, 1881-1926., Van Doren, Carl, 1885-1950.) 2 2 Browse Search
Joseph T. Derry , A. M. , Author of School History of the United States; Story of the Confederate War, etc., Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 6, Georgia (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 2 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 700 results in 433 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Aqueducts. (search)
duct is the one still in use at Syracuse. The most famous Roman aqueducts were the Aqua Apia, 10 miles in length; the Aqua Martia, 60 miles; the Aqua Julia, 15 miles, and the Aqua Claudia, 46 miles. With the exception of the Claudia, all these were constructed before the birth of Christ. Among the most important aqueducts in the United States are the following: The old Croton, New York City, built 1837-42, length, 38 1/4 miles, capacity, 100 million gallons daily. The new Croton, built 1884-90, length 30 1/2 miles, capacity, 250 million gallons daily. Washington Aqueduct, built 1852-59, two 4-foot pipes. Boston, from Sudbury River, built 1875-78, length, 16 miles. Baltimore, from Gunpowder River, built 1875-81, length, 7 miles. The Sutro tunnel, 4 miles long, constructed to drain the Comstock Lode, Nevada, at a depth of 1,600 feet. It was chartered February 4, 1865, and completed June 30, 1879. Many important works for the purpose of irrigation are now under construction in the W
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Arizona, (search)
issions were principally seated on the Lower Colorado and Gila rivers. The Territory formed a part of Mexico until its purchase by the United States in 1850. It was organized into a Territory by act of Congress, Feb. 24, 1863, with its area described as comprising all the United States lands west of longitude 109┬░ to the California line. Since then the northwest corner has been ceded to Nevada. It is a mountainous region, and some of the northern portion remains unexplored. Population in 1890, 59,691; in 1900, 122,212. To one of the pioneer explorers of the Arizona region the Zuni Indians gave the following account of their origin as preserved in their traditions. Their legend relates that in the beginning a race of men sprang up out of the earth, as plants arise and come forth in the spring. This race increased until they spread over the whole earth, and, after continuing through countless ages, passed away. The earth then remained without people a great length of time, unt
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Arkansas, (search)
embers of the legislature were elected, and in April a State government was organized. In 1867 military rule was established in Arkansas, which, with Mississippi, constituted a military district. A new constitution was framed by a convention at Little Rock, Jan. 7, 1868, and was ratified by a small majority in March. On June 22, Congress declared Arkansas entitled to representation in that body, and the administration of the government was transferred to the civil authority. Population in 1890, 1,125,385; in 1900, 1,311,564. Territorial Governors of Arkansas.  Term of Office. James Miller1819 to 1825 George Izard1825 to 1829 John Pope1829 to 1835 William S. Fulton1835 to 1836 State Governors of Arkansas. James S. Conway1836 to 1840 Archibald Yell1840 to 1844 Samuel Adams1844 Thomas S. Drew1844 to 1848 John S. Roane1848 to 1852 Elias N. Conway1852 to 1860 Henry M. Rector1860 to 1862 Harris Flanagin1862 to 1864 Isaac Murphy1864 to 1868 Powell Clayton1868 to 1871 O
ional government. All their general and staff officers were commissioned by the President, and no officers, after having been mustered into the service of the United States, could he dismissed by the State authorities. During the Civil War, from first to last, 2,690,401 men, including reinforcements, were enrolled, equipped, and organized into armies. The regular army during that war was raised to something over 50,000 men, but was reduced, at its close, to 30,000 men. The standing army in 1890 numbered 25,220 men, and was mainly used in garrisoning the permanent fortifications, protecting the routes of commerce across the continent, and preserving order among the Indian tribes west of the Mississippi River. The army in 1901. The organization of the regular army on the permanent peace basis of one soldier to each 1,000 of population, under the act of Congress of Feb. 2, 1901, was announced in the general order of May 13, 1901: Cavalry, 15 regiments (12 troops of 85 men), wi
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Atlanta, (search)
Atlanta, City, county-seat of Fulton county, and capital of the State of Georgia; 171 miles north by west of Augusta: popularly known as The Gate City ; is noted for the historical events of which it was the centre, for its extensive commercial and manufacturing interests, and for its educational institutions. In its suburbs is Fort McPherson, one of the most complete of the modern military posts in the country. Cotton expositions were held here in 1881 and 1895. The population in 1890 was 65,533; in 1900, 89,872. In the Civil War the main National and Confederate armies remained quiet in their camps after their arrival at the Chattahoochee until the middle of July, 1864. Sherman was 8 miles from the city. On the 17th he resumed offensive and active operations, by throwing Thomas's army across the Chattahoochee, close to Schofield's right, with directions to move forward. McPherson moved against the railway east of Decatur, and destroyed (July 18) 4 miles of the track.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Augusta, (search)
Augusta, City and county-seat of Richmond county, Ga.; on the Savannah River at the head of steamboat navigation; 120 miles northwest of Savannah. It is one of the largest and most progressive manufacturing cities in the South. It was founded by English settlers under Oglethorpe, and received the name of an English princess. In 1817 it was incorporated a city, and was for many years the most important inland place in the State. The population in 1890 was 33,300; in 1900, 39,441. When Cornwallis proceeded to subjugate South Carolina, he sent Lieutenant-Colonel Brown, a Tory leader, to hold Augusta. Over this garrison Pickens and Clarke had kept watch, and when, on May 20, 1781, they were joined by Lee and his legion, they proceeded to invest the fort there. They took Fort Galphin, 12 miles below, on the 21st, and then an officer was sent to demand the surrender of Augusta. Lieutenant-Colonel Brown was one of the most cruel of the Tories in that region, and the partisans
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Ballot reform. (search)
ential features are, first, an official ballot, and, second, privacy in voting. By an official ballot is meant a ticket which has been printed and furnished by State or local authorities, and is given to the voter by a special official. Privacy in voting is secured by different means, such as voting booths, enclosed stalls. and other devices for concealing the voter from view. The good effects of this system were immediately apparent in the States where it was adopted. promoting good order and decency at the polls, and greatly diminishing the opportunities for fraud and intimidation. In the system in vogue in most States the names of all candidates are on a single ticket, and the voter indicates his choice by a cross ( X ). This system in the Presidential election of 1896 was used in thirty-six States, and seems likely to be universally adopted. Various voting machines have been tried since 1890, but none have as yet proven sufficiently satisfactory to warrant their general use.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Baltimore, (search)
of this stream, contained in a plot of 60 acres, and was called Baltimore, in honor of Cecil, Lord Baltimore. In the same year William Fell, a ship-carpenter, purchased a tract east of the stream and called it Fell's Point, on the extremity of which Fort McHenry now stands. In 1732 a new town of 10 acres was laid out on the east side of the stream, and called Jonestown. It was united to Baltimore in 1745, dropping its own name. In 1767 Baltimore became the county town. The population in 1890 was 434,439; in 1900, 508,957. When the British army approached the Delaware River (December, 1776), and it was feared that they would cross into Pennsylvania and march on Philadelphia, there was much anxiety among the patriots. The Continental Congress, of the courage and patriotism of which there was a growing distrust, were uneasy. Leading republicans hesitated to go further, and only Washington and a few other choice spirits were hopeful. When the commander-in-chief was asked what h
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Bankruptcy laws, past and present. (search)
ds of the court, and created the official assignee or receiver. 5. The statute of 1861 made it possible for the non-trader, who had been protected by the insolvent debtor acts for about fifty years, to take advantage of or to be proceeded against under the general bankruptcy laws. 6. The statute of 1869 introduced in England the now well-understood principle of fraudulent preferences; but, the law being easily evaded, it proved a failure. 7. The statute of 1883, as amended by that of 1890, carries the pendulum backward again, and while for the first time distinguishing between a fraudulent bankruptcy and one due solely to misfortune, is drastic in its penalties and intolerable, at least from an American stand-point, in its limitations on the granting of a discharge. Turning to the United States, we find that: 1. The statute of 1800 was copied from the English law of that time, and did not provide either for voluntary bankruptey or for non-traders coming within its terms.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Batchelder, Richard N., 1832- (search)
Batchelder, Richard N., 1832- Military officer; born in Lake Village, N. H.. July 27, 1832; entered the volunteer army in 1861; served through the Civil War, and was awarded a Congressional medal of honor for distinguished gallantry in action; entered the regular army at the close of the war; became brigadier-general and quartermaster-general in 1890; and was retired in 1896.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...