an idiot, who, in 1835, advocating an advance in school expenses from $1,500 to $2,000, had prophesied an appropriation of $25,000 in 1871 and twice that amount in 1891; yet such has been the miracle wrought, and the end is not yet.
The house erected for the school in 1843 and shared for twenty years with the of increasing numbers and give greater latitude in the election of studies, a third assistant was added in 1881, a fourth in 1888, a fifth in 1890, and a sixth in 1891.
Sessions and Vacations.
When the schools became annual, they were made superlatively so. In 1846 they had eleven three-hour sessions each week for forty-eig
The next Committee (1849), by way of compromise, gave all the schools a respite of three weeks in August.
Other weeks have been added front time to time, till in 1891 the vacation extended from June 26 to September 14.
In 1859 the patrons of the school petitioned for six sessions of five hours each week in lieu of the previou
is class work except his favorite Greek and botany.
In some respects this release from class work was a real regret to him, for he loved the pure pleasure of imparting, and recognized that much of his strongest hold lay in his direct relationship with his pupils.
Into the training of his teachers, however, went much of that force which had moulded his pupils, and I can recollect, myself, his favorite methods, adopted or adapted by the young teachers who now took our classes.
By the year 1891, we find the entrance class in one year had jumped from fifty-five to one hundred and ten.
The Ling system of gymnastics had been adopted for the girls, though the girls were obliged to beg or raise money for their gymnastics until 1902, when the committee finally appropriated one hundred and fifty dollars for the payment of a teacher for them.
In regard to the boys, my father reports Military drill must be considered from the standpoint of utility.
Unless it contributes to the general eff
f this house, and also the one-hundred-foot barn in which was later the gymnasium of Mystic Hall Seminary.
This was at the site of present Brentwood Court, and Aunt Becky's house was later the residence of Mrs. Smith, and one of the seminary buildings Elijah Smith alluded to.
See illustration, Register, Vol.
XI, No. 3. He also stated that nearly opposite, Miss Brooks' brother Caleb lived on the site of present railway station.
As he told this in 1903 and the present station was built in 1891, and this house is shown on the Fuller plan of 1854, it indicates some later changes.
This was his only allusion to the railroad, which was opened in 1835, and whose first station house, Medford Gates, was on the east of the tracks, near High street.
He mentioned next the house owned by Leonard Bucknam, occupied by his brother-in-law, Eleazer Usher; and just below the Usher house lived Deacon Amos Warren. Warren street was cut through his farm and named in his honor.
We have been thus
e for gold.
Sliver is bought by the brokers at $12, and sold at $13.
Bank Notes.--Southern bank notes are bought by the brokers at $2.75, and sold at $3.
Bonds and Stocks.--At the auction sale of Lancaster & Co., on Wednesday, bonds and stocks commanded the following figures: Confederate 8 per cent. coupons, 1881, 114; do., 1871, 112; registered bonds, 1868-'9, 110; convertibles, 113 to 115; 15 million loan coupons, 190; do. registered bonds, 152½ to 155; Virginia registered bonds, 1891-'94, 253; do., 1890, 255; do., 1887, 257; registered bonds, past-due, 197 to 198, North Carolina 8's, coupons' 235; city of Richmond 6's, 246; Lynchburg coupon bonds, 255; Norfolk bonds, registered, 165 to 166; Alexandria coupon bonds, 255; Va. and Tenn. railroad bonds, second mortgage, 242; Va. Central railroad bonds, second mortgage, 245; Va. Central railroad dividend bonds, 6 per cent., 210; R., F. and P. railroad 7 per cent. convertibles, 253; do. 6 per cent., 205; Orange and Alexandria r