hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 417 results in 279 document sections:

... 23 24 25 26 27 28
his neighbor, William D. Howells, as material for his work. Howells replied to him as did Henry James to George Du Maurier under similar circumstances, Write them yourself. Sarah Warner Brooks was the author of three volumes of poetry—Blanche, published in 1858; St. Christopher, and Other Poems, in 1859; and the Search of Ceres, and Other Poems, in 1900; also a volume of criticism, English Poetry and Poets, in 1890. She wrote two volumes of short stories, My Fire Opal, and Other Tales, 1896, and Poverty Knob in 1900. Alamo Ranch appeared in 1903, and A Garden with House Attached in 1904. Four of these books were written after she was seventy-eight years of age and the last one in her eighty-third year. Mary B. Carret, whose childhood was spent alternately between the Island of Cuba and the Royall House, wrote, in 1899, The Little Hero of Matanzas. Louise Winsor Brooks made one of the wisest and most delightful books for children ever written, accessible to English readers
of way was conveyed, and the boundary line began at a pine sapling, extended west, north, east and south in unequal lines, enclosed a tract of some ten thousand square feet and ended at the point of beginning—at the pine sapling. The monument served its purpose for twenty years or more, when the instrument in the observatory was, in 1870, superseded by another and the use of the cairn as a meridian mark was discontinued. Mr. Parker died in 1862 and was survived by his widow as late as 1896, when to her the college corporation conveyed the ground for the named consideration of ninety dollars. No mention of the monument was made in the deed, unless the rights, easements and appurtenances of its wording covered it, and the original description of boundary was followed—the stake and stones at each of three corners and the sapling pine at point begun at. Several pitch pine trees are now near the old cairn, probably seedlings from the one mentioned, as it is hardly probable tha
on and address at 250th Anniversary of the First Church in Medford. Medford High School Review, June, 1916. Course of Study in Medford High School. Directory of Teachers in Medford High School, 1916-17. Photograph of old City Hall. Print of new City Hall. Banquet Program, 275th Anniversary, June 15, 1905. Commemoration Exercises, June 15, 1905. Dedication Program enlarged High School, November 20, 1914. Catalogue of Loan Collection at Royall House, October 12 to 20, 1896. The Parada given by the Medford Historical Society, 1903. Annual Announcements of Medford Historical Society. Lincoln Centenary, February 12, 1909. Book Plate of Society (impression). Guide to tablets marking historic sites, 1905. Indian arrowhead, found on High street near Train estate. Cheese, cracker and rum with certificate. Medford Granite, Medford Red Gravel, wild flowers and sumac leaves from lot. Card of Inspector of Buildings. Some merriment was indulged
e difficult office of a general mediator between homes and schools. She was eminently just in her duties as school committee, and always strove for the good of the individual as well as for that of the town. She had great insight into whatever was practical. She served her town with unsparing zeal, and all for the general good. After her retirement from the school board Miss Sawyer spent her years dispensing liberal hospitality in her home on Salem street. Here her brother Rufus died in 1896. Left alone in the home where for so many years brother and sister had lived as one life, Miss Sawyer bravely clung to the interests that had always been hers in the affairs of home, church, town and nation. Though so thrifty a New Englander that the pence were as important to her as the pound, so thrifty, indeed, that she amassed a goodly property, she was generous with her means and her benefactions were numerous. The Historical Society of Medford can testify to her liberality, so can th
igh street, and turned into the lane (now Ashland street) and climbed the stairs to the second floor of Mr. Francis' bake-house that summer day, the contrast must have been great. Perhaps it was too great, as only two Sabbaths were spent there, and better quarters secured. Again this quotation tells us where. Mr. Cummings in his excellent paper only says— A hall in the neighborhood was fitted up. This bake-house room was later used in the gold-beating business and finally demolished in 1896. It was of brick, substantially built, and served its purpose well. But there was another old brick house, in recent years demolished, on Ship street, called the College, where in 1822 some people not of the old Medford church assembled. More unsuited for such purpose than the bake-house was this dwelling, and in the evening their worship was transferred to the hall in one of the hotels. In this case we are fortunate in knowing the name of the preacher, Rev. Josiah Brackett of Charlesto
Announcement. It is with pleasure that we announce that the Society's files of the various papers published in Medford since 1896 are now available for consultation at our rooms. Also, that by the courtesy of the Mercury its prior file from its first publication, though not wholly complete, may be found in our library.
ng towers at the side are a special and pleasing feature, and the vines clinging to its walls add to its beauty. A large memorial window in its front is especially noticeable. In the upper left is Trinity church (Methodist Episcopal), built in 1896 on the site selected in 1873. In April just prior to its erection, the former house of worship, erected in 1873 (the first in West Medford), was sold and removed. Its corner-stone, bearing the second date of 1896, was placed beneath this. Its e1896, was placed beneath this. Its early removal was a necessity, and preserved the trees on Holton street, to which a bit of history attaches: In the early '50's Mr. T. P. Smith (then owner) set out a row of elms on a proposed street (Minot by name) which was to follow the course of the canal just abandoned. At the construction of Boston avenue in ‘73, four of these, then on the land of Mr. Horace A. Breed, were dug out and thrown aside on his premises. Mr. B. said,Mr. M., if you'll set those trees out, you may have them. Tha
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., The Medford High School under Lorin L. Dame (search)
the school committee and city government of that day. The fine dignified building that was thought to be absurdly large in 1896 has been enlarged to almost double its size, and present indications point to another unit in the near future. Still the ce of Miss Genevieve Sargent and continued the fine tradition of Medford teachers in long devoted service to the city. In 1896 the ninth grade was also installed in the new high school, to relieve the pressure in the fast-growing city. With the rchool committee summarize the changes made recently as follows: The erection of the Lincoln (1894), Hillside (1895), High (1896) and Brooks (1898) schoolhouses, the enlargement of the Tufts (1898), and the improvements in sanitation and ventilation of the Centre, Cradock, Everett, Swan and James (1896), while they have cost us money, have in six years changed Medford from a town with a lot of small, old, unsanitary, ill-ventilated and badly crowded schoolhouses to a city with creditable, substan
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Development of the business section of West Medford. (search)
ilding at Warren street by John H. Chute. Frank Born had an elaborate shoe store and someone a dry goods, while Shutz's barber shop came down from the flat-iron room over Macy's and became a tonsorial parlor. Not content with this, young Mr. Usher had a one-story skyscraper built of wood on Playstead road with five small shops in it (this but last year removed), and soon after the Ferguson building at the other end on High street—three stores in this. After the death of S. S. Holton, in 1896, his son, known as S. S. Holton, Jr., purchased Trinity Methodist Church and moved it to the rear of his lot near the Congregational Church, raised it up some ten feet, and the parish continued to use it till December, while their new house of worship was being built. In 1897 he made alterations and enlargements, and began the erection of the brick building on Harvard Avenue. In this are three stores, various office rooms, the hall into which Mount Vernon Lodge, I. O. O. F., moved at its com
... 23 24 25 26 27 28