Your search returned 7 results in 7 document sections:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Blanco, Ramon Y Arenas, 1833- (search)
ines as governor-general of the province of Mindanao. His career in the Philippines was characterized by acts of extreme cruelty. For his service there he was appointed a marshal in 1895. Unable to quell the rebellion in the islands, he resigned his office, and, returning to Spain, was assigned to the command of the Army of the North. He there made a brilliant record against the Carlists, and carried by storm peña Plata. For this achievement he was created Marquis de Peña Plata. In October, 1897, he succeeded Gen. Valeriano Weyler (q. v.) as governor-general of Cuba. One of his earliest acts after assuming authority there was a reluctant acquiescence in the desire of the people of the United States, as expressed by their Congress, to provide the reconcentrados with food, clothing, and medical supplies. President McKinley appointed a Central Cuban Relief Committee to raise funds for purchasing the various articles needed, and these were forwarded to the island and distributed u
icans were imprisoned by the Spanish during January, 1897. Their release, or at least a speedy civil trial, was demanded by this country. Spain at first refused to grant this, and it seemed for a time as if war was inevitable, but Spain finally agreed to grant the men a trial, after which they were set free. In February, 1897, a number of reforms for the island were proposed by the Spanish government, and their general features were made public, but they did not meet with favor. In October, 1897, General Weyler was succeeded as governor-general by Marshal Blanco Y Arenas (q. v.), who immediately began a more humane regime, granted many pardons, and undertook relief measures for the thousands of Weyler's reconcentrados who were starving in the interior. So great did the distress become during that year that President McKinley appointed a central Cuban relief committee to raise funds for the sufferers. Later Clara Barton, president of the American Red Cross Association, went t
Hon. J. L. M. Curry , LL.D., William Robertson Garrett , A. M. , Ph.D., Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 1.1, Legal Justification of the South in secession, The South as a factor in the territorial expansion of the United States (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Biographical: officers of civil and military organizations. (search)
ho could never receive amnesty. It was subsequently bestowed, however, and he engaged in business at New Orleans. During Grant's presidency he was appointed surveyor of the port of that city, and afterward supervisor of internal revenue and postmaster. In 1880 he was appointed United States minister to Turkey, and under President Garfield he was United States marshal for the district of Georgia, in which State he has made his residence of recent years, at the town of Gainesville. In October, 1897, he was appointed United States railroad commissioner to succeed General Wade Hampton resigned. Lieutenant-General Leonidas Polk Lieutenant-General Leonidas Polk was born at Raleigh, N. C., April 10 1806, the son of Colonel William Polk, the latest survivor of the field officers of the North Carolina line, and grandson of Thomas Polk, a leader in the Mecklenburg convention. He received a literary education at the university of North Carolina, and then determining to embrace a mili
Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Additional Sketches Illustrating the services of officers and Privates and patriotic citizens of South Carolina. (search)
e established the Carolina military institute at Charlotte, N. C., which he conducted for nine years, leaving that position to become superintendent of the revived South Carolina military (or Citadel) academy, his alma mater, at Charleston. In 1885 he resigned this office, but has since continued to be associated with the institution as a member of the board of visitors. In 1886-87 he represented Richland county in the legislature. His appointment as State historian, which was made in October, 1897, is a fitting recognition of a literary activity which has been maintained through many years and has been devoted specially to the honorable traditions and the present interests of his native State. In 1857 he was the author of a volume called the Carolina Tribute to Calhoun; he has ready for publication an exposition of Calhoun's disquisition on government, has written a history of the South Carolina military academy, published in 1893, and has prepared many addresses, and contributi
at region, and enlist their assistance in any way desirable, for which he was peculiarly fitted, from his service and intimate association in that part of the State previous to the war, as well as at the commencement of it. He took position at San Antonio, where Colonel Dickinson, chief of General Magruder's staff, in command of the Western sub-district, rendered what assistance he could to Colonel Ford. The report of this expedition was published by Colonel Ford, himself then alive, in October, 1897. At San Antonio, February 27, 1864, he published a call for troops, and by March 17, 1864, had made arrangements for about 2,000 men to accompany him, which force, however, was not fully collected. While still at San Antonio he received information that parties were sent by the Federals over on the Nueces river to collect beef-cattle and to capture cotton. He sent some companies to that quarter as fast as they were sworn into the service, to aid Major Nolan, who was in command at Cor
897, and a temporary organization was then made by the choice of John S. Hayes as chairman and Dr. E. C. Booth as secretary. After remarks made by those present and letters read from prominent citizens approving the movement, it was then and there voted that it is the sense of this meeting that an historical society be formed, and that a committee be appointed to formulate a plan of organization and prepare a set of by-laws and present them for approval, which was done in the following October, 1897 (ten years ago to-night), and one hundred and thirty-five persons paid and signed the by-laws. Hon. George A. Bruce was elected first president, together with an efficient council, and re-elected in April following, it being our first annual meeting, though he resigned August 24, 1898, while in office. All this was called a voluntary organization, and so it was voted in regular meeting assembled that the necessary steps be taken to incorporate this body under the laws of Massachusett
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The first Methodist Episcopal Church of Medford. (search)
s reorganized with a new constitution as the Ladies' Aid Society. Mr. Hutchinson was followed by Rev. Alexander Dight, who remained one year. He was succeeded in April, 1897, by Rev. George S. Chadbourne, D. D. During his first year the church was thoroughly repaired and remodelled, a parlor and kitchen added and furnished, new entrances to church and grounds made, painting, frescoing, cushions and carpets, making the church-home beautiful and attractive. The church was reopened in October, 1897, with a reunion and banquet. In June, 1898, Dr. Chadbourne, following the example of Dr. Watkins, took as his wife one of our members, Mrs. Martha Ransom. Dr. Chadbourne's Bible Class, held in the audience room during the Sunday-school hour, was largely attended and greatly enjoyed, as was also the Teachers' Bible Class held at the parsonage on Saturday evenings. During Dr. Chadbourne's five years pastorate the church lost by death several of the oldest members, among them Bros. Orvid