hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 3 3 Browse Search
Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 1 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 5 results in 5 document sections:

Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Finances, United States. (search)
provement at navy-yards, and expenses of the war with Spain and in the Philippines55,953,077.72 Indian service10,175,106.76 Pensions140,877,316.02 Interest on the public debt40,160,333.27 Deficiency in postal revenues7,230,778.79 Postal service102,354,579.29 —————— Total expenditure$590,068,371.00 —————— Showing a surplus of$79,527,060.18 Other receipts of the Treasury, including amounts received from the Pacific railways from subscription to the 3 per cent. bonds authorized in June, 1898, and other bonds, were $115,410. The total amount of securities redeemed under the operations of the sinking fund were $56,544,556. The most important items in the redemptions were the bonds purchased to the amount of $19,300,650, and the premium in converted bonds amounting in all to $30,773,552. Total receipts for the fiscal year exceeded those of the preceding year by $58,613,426, while expenditures showed a decrease of $117,358,388. The coinage executed during the f
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Needham, Charles Willis 1869- (search)
e to educational matters, assisting in organizing the present Chicago University, and was a member of its first board of trustees; was a member of the board of trustees of the Columbian University. In this capacity labored to increase the standard of work in the law school, secured the increase of the course of study to three years, raised the standard of admission and the tests for graduation, and organized the School of Comparative Jurisprudence and Diplomacy, a post-graduate school for higher legal study; was elected dean in June, 1898, and lectured upon the subjects of Common Law, Trusts and Trade Unions, and Transportation and Interstate Commerce Law. He has been a student of the history of private and international law, a member of the American Bar Association, and attended several congresses at Paris in 1900 as representative of the United States. The University of Rochester, N. Y., at the commencement of June 19, 1901, conferred upon him the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), World's young women's Christian Association, (search)
iation, An organization founded in 1894. In 1900 eight national associations were affiliated: Great Britain, United States, Canada, Germany, Italy, Norway, Sweden, and India. The headquarters are in London. Office, 26 George Street, Hanover Square, West. The executive committee, chairman, Mrs. J. Herbert Tritton, is composed of fourteen British ladies and one American, Miss Annie M. Reynolds, who is the world's secretary. The first World's Association conference was held in London, June, 1898. Twenty-one States of the United States have organized State associations. Each State holds an annual convention. The international convention occurs biennially. Each year four summer schools are held for the training of young women in secretarial and Bible work. the Evangel, the official organ of the associations, is published monthly in Chicago, Ill. The second week of November is observed as a day of prayer for young women. A special department is maintained for young women of coll
Brigadier-General Ellison Capers, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 5, South Carolina (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Additional Sketches Illustrating the services of officers and Privates and patriotic citizens of South Carolina. (search)
of the standing committee of the diocese, one of the examining chaplains of the diocese, and vice-president of the Church home at Charleston. He is chaplain of St. Andrew's society, genealogist of the society of Colonial Dames, third lieutenant-commander of Camp Sumter, U. C. V., and president of the Huguenot society of South Carolina. After several years' service as vice-president of the Charleston library society, he was elected president at its one hundred and fiftieth annual meeting, June, 1898. In November, 1859, Mr. Wilson was married at Columbia to Mary Susan Gibbes, who died in 1860, leaving one daughter. Two years later he married Nanna J., daughter of Rev. P. J. Shand, and they have two children living: Mary H., wife of Elias Ball, and Dr. Robert Wilson Jr., city bacteriologist, Charleston. Henry Wohlken, a retired business man of Charleston, is a native of Germany, born in 1829. His residence at Charleston dates from 1849, when he arrived at the city, and became a c
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12., The first Methodist Episcopal Church of Medford. (search)
Ladies' Aid Society. Mr. Hutchinson was followed by Rev. Alexander Dight, who remained one year. He was succeeded in April, 1897, by Rev. George S. Chadbourne, D. D. During his first year the church was thoroughly repaired and remodelled, a parlor and kitchen added and furnished, new entrances to church and grounds made, painting, frescoing, cushions and carpets, making the church-home beautiful and attractive. The church was reopened in October, 1897, with a reunion and banquet. In June, 1898, Dr. Chadbourne, following the example of Dr. Watkins, took as his wife one of our members, Mrs. Martha Ransom. Dr. Chadbourne's Bible Class, held in the audience room during the Sunday-school hour, was largely attended and greatly enjoyed, as was also the Teachers' Bible Class held at the parsonage on Saturday evenings. During Dr. Chadbourne's five years pastorate the church lost by death several of the oldest members, among them Bros. Orvid M. Fowler and William T. Hannah. Rev. F. T