Your search returned 13 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Plato, Republic, Book 5, section 460c (search)
of the city, but the offspring of the inferior, and any of those of the other sort who are born defective, they will properly dispose of in secret,Opinions differ whether this is euphemism for exposure. On the frequency or infrequency of this practice cf. Professor La Rue Van Hook's article in T.A.P.A. vol. li, and that of H. Bolkestein, Class. Phil. vol. xvii. (1922) pp. 222-239. so that no one will know what has become of them.” “That is the condition,” he said, “of preserving the purity of the guardians' breed.” “They will also supervise the nursing of the children, conducting the mothers to the pen when their breasts are full, but employing every deviceCf. on 414 B and Aristotle Politics
Plato, Republic, Book 6, section 485b (search)
that it is ever enamored of the kind of knowledge which reveals to them something of that essence which is eternal, and is not wandering between the two poles of generation and decay.Lit. “is not made to wander by generation and decay.” Cf. Crat. 411 C, Phaedo 95 E, whence Aristotle took his title. See Class. Phil. xvii. (1922) pp. 334-352.” “Let us take that as agreed.” “And, further,” said I, “that their desire is for the whole of it and that they do not willingly renounce a small or a great, a more precious or a less honored, part of it. That was the point of our former illustrationSupra 474 C-D. drawn from lovers and men covetous of honor.” “You are right,” he said. “Consider, then, next whethe
Plato, Republic, Book 10, section 601a (search)
words and phrasesCf. Symp. 198 B, Apol. 17 C. The explicit discrimination of O)NO/MATA as names of agents and R(H/MATA as names of actions is peculiar to Soph. 262. But Cf. Cratyl. 431 B, 425 A, Theaet. 206 D. And in Soph. 257 BR(H/MATI is used generally. See Unity of Plato's Thought, pp. 56-57. Cf. Euthydem. 304 E with Symp. 187 A, Phaedr. 228 D, 271 C and my note in Class. Phil. xvii. (1922) p. 262. the colors of the several arts in such fashion that others equally ignorant, who see things only through words,Cf. What Plato Said, p. 593 on Soph. 240 A. will deem his words most excellent,
l of a load which is considerably below the breaking weight of the bar. To fatigue is ascribed the breaking of car-axles by the constant repetitive blows and strains incident to their duty. Fat-lute. A mixture of pipe-clay and linseed oil for filling joints. Fau′cet. 1. A form of valve or cock in which a spigot or plug is made to open or close an aperture in a portion which forms a spout or pipe for the discharge or passage of a fluid. The ordinary beer-cock is well known. Fig. 1922 shows a less usual form, in which the central aperture is closed by an elastic packing at the foot of a screw-plug, and opened by the raising of the latter. Fig. 1923 is a modified form having some similar features. 2. The enlarged end of a pipe to receive the spigotend of the next section. See under the following heads : — Auger-faucet.Gage-faucet. Ball-cock.Grease-faucet. Basin-faucet.Hot-water faucet. Beer-faucet.Measuring-faucet. Bib.Molasses-gate faucet. Blow-off cock.Pet-
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24., Local history in a barber's shop. (search)
ve happened had he been in his prime when Rev. Josiah Bracket came up from Charlestown to preach to some people, not of the standing order, in a building called the college. Considering his sermon against the Malden Baptists, we fear it would have been Let him be anathema, and the house that they shall build come to naught. Meeting in various places for over five years, those people succeeded, in 1828, in erecting a house of worship on the lane leading from Malden road to the ship yard. In 1922 their successors, the First Methodist Episcopal Church, will observe its centennial and in its fourth house of worship, while the first still remains— dwelling-house, and now contains a barber's shop. Changes made to fit it for such use revealed features of construction, and started search into its history. Prior to this, the only allusions to it we have seen in print are in the Register, Vol. XII, p. 2, and an occasional paper (1878) called The Half Century. Neither of these contain any a
Memorial Day address—broadcasted. Substance of address by Maurice Luke Bullock, minister of Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church, West Medford, broadcasted from the Amrad Station Wgi of the American radio and Research corporation, Medford Hillside, Mass., Sunday evening, may 28, 1922. A nation's Memorial Day. We are recognizing Memorial Day this year as being more significant than ever before. It is different from the other national holidays. No noise of guns and exciting fireworks, no demand for a safe and sane Memorial Day, but the emphasis is on reverence, honor and respect. The men and boys of the sixties have been honored through all the years on this day. And in recent years tens of thousands of new dead have been added to the lists, making the day more meaningful than ever. We have new reasons for observing Memorial Day. The old veterans, to whom the day has always meant so much, have been passing away rapidly. The day was being given over increasingly to sports a
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Medford Church anniversaries. (search)
Medford Church anniversaries. The year 1922 has been a notable one for Medford church anniversaries. Four have been observed, marking the lapse of a century, and its fractions of half and three quarters. As incidental to, and part of Medford history, the Register makes note of them. The first in order was that of the First Methodist Episcopal, whose beginning was on July 28, 1822. Summer vacations were not in vogue a century ago, and so many other changes have come in the years that it is well to consider for a little what the Medford of that day was, and why the event celebrated took place. As to amount, Medford was practically the same area as today, though since reduced at one side and increased on another. As to population, fifteen hundred. Five country roads radiated from the market place, or business center, now called the square, and these had but few branches. Three distilleries were in operation, and ship-building was on the increase. The civic center was the me
re) years of his life was a property owner and resident in Medford, passing away in 1790. Historian Brooks, writing about midway between the time of these papers and the present day, said, How will the above read in the capital of Liberia two hundred years hence? How does it read in Medford (where rum was made) today? But the Nantucket-Boston-Medford men were not sinners above all men. There were others, as a recent publication, A Rhode Island Slaver (Shepley Library, Providence, 1922), clearly proves by reproducing the Trade book of the Sloop Adventure, 1773-4. Of Captain Peter Gwin, his various commands, voyages and doings, the letters and instructions of his assured friend and owner give much information, and are a side light on a business once considered legitimate. To continue Lack of space in our last issue precluded our saying all we desired regarding the Register. At the urgent request of the Society we begin a new volume, and with this number complete fi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Old ships and ship-building days of Medford. (search)
street, occupying the first floor as office and press-room and the entire second as composing and job-printing rooms. Before the removal, however, another esteemed contemporary appeared on the scene, this time the Medford Messenger, issued by E. B. Thorndike from Harvard street in South Medford. This was an eight-page paper, eleven by fourteen inches, six columns on a page, and first appeared October o, 1913. On January 2, 1914, it was enlarged to fifteen by twenty-one inches, and in 1922 its volume was extended by additional issues to the end of the year, making the succeeding volume begin with the calendar year. In 1916, there appeared a new venture in Medford journalism—The Review. This was an eight-page, six column weekly of the same size as the Mercury and Messenger. Its heading was ornamented with a cut of a ship ready for launching, and bore the legend, News, Arts and Sciences. Captain Pitman was with it at its inception, but for some cause or other soon left it to
The Society's work. Publication of the society's work for two years has been omitted, but is here resumed. The season of 1921-22 was opened by a special meeting on September 21, the three hundredth anniversary of the coming here of white men. Report of recent meeting at Hingham of the Bay State League was given. It was attended by Dr. Green, Messrs. Ackerman, Dunham and Eddy and Mr. and Mrs. Mann. A letter and program of celebration was received from the Annapolis, N. S., Historical Society. A finely executed book of their anniversaries was later received. The president then announced the subject of the evening, The visit of Myles Standish and his party to the site of Medford on September 21, 1621, and called Miss Atherton, who read an extract from the oration of Charles Sprague (Boston, July 4, 1825), The Disappearing American Indian. The president then spoke on Indian trails, read from Paths and Legends of New England Border and of the Mohawk Trail, and then asked
1 2