hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome 2 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 2 results in 2 document sections:

Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, IOHANNES ET PAULUS, DOMUS (search)
IOHANNES ET PAULUS, DOMUS * the house in which S. John and S. Paul (not the Apostles, but two officers who suffered martyrdom under Julian) were murdered, situated on the Caelian just south-west of the porticus Claudia, in the present Via di SS. Giovanni e Paolo (perhaps the CLIVUS SCAURI, q.v.), under the church of that name. The excavations show a private dwelling of the second century, enlarged and rebuilt in the third and fourth, in which, probably in the second half of the third century, a titulus was instituted (titulus Byzantis), while Pammachius founded the basilica at the end of the fourth century. The enlargement consisted for the most part in connecting two houses that had been separated by a narrow street. Upwards of thirty rooms have been opened up, among them a cavaedium, with five rows of three rooms each on the south side, bathrooms, storerooms and stairways. The discovery of an interesting Pagan painting with a marine scene in 1909 may be noticed. The house had thr
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, PAX, TEMPLUM (search)
he templum divi Romuli, see P. Whitehead, BCr 1913, 143-165; YW 1913, 21.) Further investigations have led him to the conclusion that the rectangular building in opus quadratum Others hold it to be the bibliotheca Pacis (HJ 4-6; HFP 48). was the temple of the Penates as restored by Augustus (AJA 1923, 414; 1927, 1-18; RPAiii.83-95). In the time of Severus a wall was built across the north-east end of this entrance, The greater part of this wall was apparently rebuilt in the latter half of the >third century A.D. (RPA cit. 103-106; AJA cit. 16, 17). and on its north-east side, towards the forum, on a facing of marble slabs, was placed the so-called Capitoline Plan of the city, Forma Urbis Romae, the fragments of which were first discovered in May and June 1562. A facsimile is fixed to the wall of the garden of the Palazzo dei Conservatori. (For the description and discussion of this Plan, see Jord. Forma Urbis Romae regionum XIV, Berlin 1874; H. Elter, de Forma Urbis Romae, diss. i.