hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 38 12 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 38 results in 14 document sections:

1 2
the Fifty-fourth comprises all those who departed for the field with the regiment on May 28, and their respective rank and assignment at the time.— Colonel,—Robert G. Shaw. Major,—Edward N. Hallowell. Surgeon,—Lincoln R. Stone. Assistant-Surgeon,—Charles B. Bridgham. Adjutant,—Garth W. James. Quartermaster,—John Ritchie. Company A. Capt., John W. M. Appleton. 1st Lieut., Wm. Homans. Company B. Capt., Samuel Willard [Mann]. 1st Lieut., James M. Walton. 2d Lieut., Thomas L. Appleton. Company C. 1st Lieut., James W. Grace. 2d Lieut., Benjamin F. Dexter. Company D. Capt., Edward L. Jones. 1st Lieut., R. H. L. Jewett. Company E. Capt., Luis F. Emilio. 2d Lieut., David Reid. Company F. Capt., Watson W. Bridge. 2d Lieut., Alexander Johnston. Company G. 1st Lieut., Orin E. Smith. 2d Lieut., James A. Pratt. Company H. Capt., Cabot J. Russel. 2d Lieut., Willard Howard. Company I. Capt., George Pope. 1st Lieut., Francis L. Higginson.
and the De Molay steamed out of harbor at 5.30 P. M. After a rather rough voyage of some eighty miles during the night, the De Molay dropped anchor at 6 A. M. in the sound off the southern point of St. Simon's Island. Colonel Shaw landed and rode across the island to report to Colonel Montgomery. At noon the steamer Sentinel, a small craft that looked like a canal-boat with a onestory house built upon it, came alongside, and eight companies were transferred, Companies A and C under Captain Appleton remaining to get the cargo in readiness for a second trip. The little steamer took the regiment up the winding river, along the west and inland shore of the island, past Gascoign's Bluff, where the Second South Carolina was encamped, to Pike's Bluff, some eight or ten miles, where the regiment disembarked on an old wharf. It was a pretty spot on a plantation formerly owned by a Mr. Gould. There was a large two-story house surrounded by fine trees, and situated close to the wharf, w
ine with Company K and a portion of Company B. It was over lower ground, running obliquely through a growth of small timber and brush. There was a broken bridge in the front. A reserve, consisting of the remainder of Company B, under Lieut. Thomas L. Appleton, was held at a stone house. Captain Willard's force was five officers and about two hundred men. From Simpkins's left to the Stono the picket line was continued by men of the Tenth Connecticut, holding a dangerous position, as it had the enemy's plan. Of his men, Corp. Henry A. Field of Company K especially distinguished himself. Captain Willard at the reserve house at once sent back word, by a mounted orderly, of the situation. To the support of his right he sent Lieutenant Appleton with some men, and to the left First Sergeant Simmons of Company B with a small force, and then looked for aid from our main body. He endeavored to form a line of skirmishers, when the men began coming back from the front, but with littl
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 5: the greater assault on Wagner. (search)
unded 1st Lieut. Wm. H. Homans wounded 2d Lieut. C. E. Tucker wounded 2d Lieut. J. A. Pratt wounded Enlisted Men. Killed 9 Wounded 147 Missing 100 Total 256 I have the honor to be, very respectfully, Your obedient servant, E. N. Hallowell, Colonel Commanding Fifty-fourth Massachusetts Volunteers. Lieutenant Howard, in falling back from the fort, with a few men he had gathered, retired directly down the beach, not encountering the larger part of the regiment. Lieut. T. L. Appleton retired first but a short distance, where, in the sand-hills, he found General Strong with some detachments which he was urging to advance. Lieutenant Appleton moved forward again a short distance, but finding there was no concerted advance, went rearward. Sergeant Swails of Company F was with Captains Simpkins and Russel under the left bastion. They climbed the parapet, and were at once fired upon. Captain Russel fell wounded, and Simpkins asked him if he would be carried off. W
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
me, in the person of Albert G. Browne, Esq., the special agent of the Treasury Department, whose headquarters were at Beaufort. His son, Col. Albert G. Browne, Jr., was the military secretary of Governor Andrew, and also one of the regiment's early and tried friends. There had been several promotions in consequence of the action of July 18. Lieutenant Smith was made captain of Company G, but was still North; Lieutenant Walton, captain of Company B, vice Willard, resigned. Second Lieutenants T. L. Appleton, Tucker, Howard, Pratt, and Littlefield were made first lieutenants. These officers were all present except Lieutenant Pratt, who never re-joined. Captain Bridge and Lieutenant Emerson had returned from sick leave. Lieutenants E. G. Tomlinson and Charles G. Chipman, appointed to the regiment, had joined. A number of the wounded had returned from hospital, and the first lot of furloughed men came back, and with them Capt. J. W. M. Appleton. By these accessions the Fifty-fou
nal company, L, was formed, and placed in charge of Lieut. T. L. Appleton. Service with the Fifty-fourth was eagerly sought recruits, and the camp were to remain in charge of Lieut. T. L. Appleton. Captain Jones was too ill to accompany us. Ordee was made in force by the enemy until February 22. Major Appleton at Barber's was relieved just after dark by Colonel Har-increasing throng, when within one mile of Sanderson Major Appleton halted, disposing his men to restore order. The sightes in line until some six hundred men were collected. Major Appleton soon received orders to escort the train to Barber's, ksonville, and then sent to Hilton Head and Beaufort. Major Appleton, on the 26th, with Companies A, B, and E, was sent to e. By order of Brigadier-General Seymour. Lieut. Thos. L. Appleton re-joined on the 11th, bringing on the steamer Botenant Tucker captain of Company H, vice Higginson; Lieut. T. L. Appleton captain of Company G, vice Smith. Second Lieutenan
of logs raised above the marsh had been built by the Confederates near the water-ways toward James Island. We called it Block House No. 1. Lieutenant Spear made a reconnoissance of it on the night of the 8th, and was twice fired upon. Capt. T. L. Appleton, provost-marshal on Colonel Gurney's staff, had been for some time making preparations to capture this block house. With a party of Fifty-fourth men he went there on the night of the 14th, only to find it unoccupied. It was visited a nume Civil War he suffered from a wound received in Mexico. As Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper was detailed for courtmartial duty and Captain Emilio as judge-advocate at Hilton Head, on May 29, Captain Bridge took command of Lighthouse Inlet and Capt. T. L. Appleton of Fort Green. During the ensuing night some of our officers perpetrated a great joke on the Johnnies. Making the stuffed figure of a soldier, they took it out in a boat and stood it on top of Block House No. 1, placing an imitation gun
rd Sullivan's Island on the morning of the 8th, whereupon our guns opened from land and sea, soon destroying her. We gave our fire sometimes from the great guns in volleys,—their united explosions shaking the whole island and covering the batteries with a white pall of smoke. Peaceful intervals came, when the strange stillness of the ordnance seemed like stopped heart-beats of the siege. Then the soft rush of the surf and the chirp of small birds in the scant foliage could be heard. Major Appleton, who had been in hospital since the movement to James Island, departed North on the 7th, and never returned. His loss was a great one to the regiment, for he was a devoted patriot, a kind-hearted man, and an exceedingly brave soldier. Captain Emilio came to camp with Company E from Fort Green, on the 8th, when relieved by Lieutenant Newell with Company B. Captain Tucker and Company H reported from Black Island on the 20th, and Lieutenant Duren and Company D were relieved at Fort Shaw o
any A, Lieutenant Knowles; Company D, Lieutenant Emerson, commanding, and Lieutenant Hallett; Company I, Lieut. Lewis Reed; Company K, Lieutenant Leonard, commanding, and Lieut. Charles Jewett,—a force of twenty-one officers and 540 men. Captains T. L. Appleton and R. H. L. Jewett were on staff duty with General Hatch. A large fleet was ready at Port Royal, the decks of the transports crowded with troops; and the pier at Hilton Head was full of stores and men awaiting transportation. Duringy-second United States Colored Troops, and moved on. Halting at the church for dinner, just as fires were lighted, heavy volleys were heard, and he again moved forward at the double-quick. Nearing General Hatch and staff, the enthusiastic Capt. T. L. Appleton of ours flung up his cap, shouting, Hurrah! here comes the old Fifty-fourth! The road was found blocked with ambulances, caissons, and wagons causing the men to be strung out. It was about 1.30 P. M. Captain Pope continues, saying,—
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 13: operations about Pocotaligo. (search)
on a steady-going horse, and was instantly recognized from his portraits. His figure, tall and slender, sat the horse closely, but slightly bowed. Upon his head was a tall army hat covering a face long and thin, bristling with a closely cropped sandy beard and mustache. His bright keen eyes seemed to take in everything about at a glance. There was hardly a sign of his rank noticeable, and his apparel bore evidence of much service. He was on his way to General Hatch's headquarters. Captain Appleton relates what occurred there. He and others of the staff were playing cards when the door opened and a middle-aged officer asked for General Hatch. Without ceasing their card-playing, the young officers informed the stranger of the general's absence. Imagine their consternation when their visitor quietly said, Please say to him that General Sherman called. They started up, ashamed and apologizing, but the general softly departed as he came. The next day he took the field with the Fi
1 2