Your search returned 127 results in 34 document sections:

1 2 3 4
loquent words of welcome. The city of Somerville, said he, has many things of which to be proud. Its soil has been pressed by heroes and martyrs. Its citizenship is progressive. It is a city of homes. Its churches are broad in spirit and motive. He then presented President E. H. Capen, of Tufts College, as the head of an institution of which Somerville is proud. President Capen's interesting review of the life and services of Charles Tufts was listened to with close attention. John F. Ayer gave the historical address, which was a valuable contribution to the occasion. The anniversary hymn, written for the occasion by Frank M. Hawes, was sung, following which Rev. Charles Conklin, superintendent of the Universalist churches of Massachusetts, in his short one-minute speech expressed the pleasure and congratulations of the other churches of the state in such an auspicious event. Rev. Charles A. Skinner touched many tender associations of the past in his brief address. T
4. Bible reading. Rev. F. A. Gray 5. Prayer. Rev. Charles A. Skinner. 6. Address—Charles Tufts. Rev. E. H. Capen, D. D. 7. Historical address. John F. Ayer 8. Anniversary hymn—Cross Street, C. M., F. M. Hawes 9. Address. Rev. Charles Conklin. 10. Address. Rev. Charles A. Skinner. 11. Anthem—Rock of Agporated for the purpose of establishing the Tufts institution for learning. This was several years before Tufts College was thought of. Historical address John F. Ayer In the Somerville of to-day there is little to remind one of the town of fifty years ago. Being in 1854 but twelve years of age, it still retained, to a gree transactions of the parish. Up to 1861, including the annual meeting of 1861, only ten names were voted into the parish,—Reuben Carver, Charles H. Delano, John F. Ayer, Josiah Jennings, Addison Smith, Henry Bradshaw, in 1859; David Elliot, in 1860; Benoni Bixby, Edward Turner, Charles F. Potter, in 1861. In February, 1859
that date. Weekly teachers' meetings began at this time, and have continued since without change. In the year 1873, three superintendents presided over the school: L. P. Hollander for the first three months; John Viall for five months; and John F. Ayer for the remainder of the year and four years thereafter. In March, 1873, money was appropriated to purchase mottoes with which to embellish the vestry walls. These mottoes, after a long and meritorious service, have lately been retired, anort shows a total of 453 active members in attendance. Friday night was decided upon as the regular meeting night of the teachers in September, 1881. And in 1884 the first teachers' sociable, as they are now known, was held at the house of John F. Ayer. The pastor, Rev. C. A. Skinner, entertained the next year, and Mr. and Mrs. John F. Nickerson the following year. Since that time the gatherings have been held in the vestry, although on several regular meeting nights the teachers were pl
1870—B. S. Binney, S. W. Fuller, Caleb Rand, Benoni Bixby, J. Q. Twombly. 1871—B. S. Binney, S. W. Fuller, Caleb Rand, Benoni Bixby, J. Q. Twombly. 1872—J. F. Ayer, S. W. Fuller, George W. Ireland, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1873—J. F. Ayer, S. W. Fuller, George W. Ireland, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1874—HJ. F. Ayer, S. W. Fuller, George W. Ireland, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1874—H. R. Bishop, S. W. Fuller, W. P. Mitchell, J. F. Nickerson, J. Q. Twombly. 1875—J. Q. Twombly, S. W. Fuller, J. F. Nickerson, W. P. Mitchell, H. R. Bishop. 1876—H. Williams, C. A. Jenks, J. F. Nickerson, W. P. Mitchell, A. J. Taylor. 1877—J. Q. Twombly, Sears Condit, J. F. Nickerson, H. D. Jerauld, William Taylor. 1878uperintendents of the Sunday School. Charles Williams, 1854 to 1865. Charles Williams, Jr., 1865 to 1873. L. P. Hollander, 1873. John Viall, 1873. John F. Ayer, 1873 to 1878. Rev. W. S. Ralph, 1878 to 1880. Fred Farnsworth, 1880. Mr. Murch, 1880. Irving Smith, 1881 to 1883. Augustus Hodgman, 18
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Literary men and women of Somerville. (search)
Literary men and women of Somerville. By David Lee Maulsby. The following persons have rendered valuable help to the writer in the preparation of this paper: Mrs. John F. Ayer, Mr. Edwin M. Bacon, Miss Mary Bacon, Mr. Charles D. Elliot, Mr. Sam Walter Foss, Mrs. Mae D. Frazar, Mrs. Barbara Galpin, Mr. J. O. Hayden, Mrs. George T. Knight, Rev. W. H. Pierson, Mr. L. B. Pillsbury, Mrs. Lucy B. Ransom, Rev. Anson Titus, Miss Anna P. Vinal. after accepting the invitation of the Somerville Historical Society to address it upon the men and women of this city who have been writers, I found it necessary to draw some lines of limitation about the subject. To treat, even inadequately, all of our fellow-citizens that have issued their thoughts in print would be a greater undertaking than a single hour could see completed. It has seemed wise, therefore, to mark a boundary of demarcation between the dead and the living, and to confine this paper to those Somerville authors that are no lon
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Officers of Somerville historical Society. (search)
Officers of Somerville historical Society. 1903-1904 President,John F. Ayer. First Vice-President,Luther B. Pillsbury. Second Vice-President,Levi L. Hawes. Third Vice-President,Oliver Bacon. Recording Secretary,Mrs. Elizabeth F. Hammond. Corresponding Secretary,Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Treasurer,Seth Mason. Librarian at,L. Roger Wentworth,Anna P. Vinal. Historic Sites. J. O. Hayden, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot. Luther B. Pillsbury. Essays and addresses. John F. Ayer, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot, William E. Brigham,Seth Mason, Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Library and cabinet. Alfred M. Cutler, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, Mrs. ss M. Agnes Hunt, Miss Lucy M. Stone,Miss Mary A. Haley, Miss Marion Knapp. Publications. Sam Walter Foss, Chairman,Frank M. Hawes, Sara A. Stone,John F. Ayer, ex-officio. Military records. Col. Edwin C. Bennett, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, John H. Dusseault,Alfred M. Cutler. House. Mrs. Elizabeth
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Officers of Somerville historical Society. (search)
Officers of Somerville historical Society. 1903-1904 President,John F. Ayer. First Vice-President,Luther B. Pillsbury. Second Vice-President,Levi L. Hawes. Third Vice-President,Oliver Bacon. Recording Secretary,Mrs. Elizabeth F. Hammond. Corresponding Secretary,Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Treasurer,Seth Mason. Librarian at,L. Roger Wentworth,Anna P. Vinal. Historic Sites. J. O. Hayden, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot. Luther B. Pillsbury. Essays and addresses. John F. Ayer, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot, William E. Brigham,Seth Mason, Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Library and cabinet. Alfred M. Cutler, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, Mrs. ss M. Agnes Hunt, Miss Lucy M. Stone,Miss Mary A. Haley, Miss Marion Knapp. Publications. Sam Walter Foss, Chairman,Frank M. Hawes, Sara A. Stone,John F. Ayer, ex-officio. Military records. Col. Edwin C. Bennett, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, John H. Dusseault,Alfred M. Cutler. House. Mrs. Elizabeth
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, Officers of Somerville historical Society. (search)
Officers of Somerville historical Society. 1903-1904 President,John F. Ayer. First Vice-President,Luther B. Pillsbury. Second Vice-President,Levi L. Hawes. Third Vice-President,Oliver Bacon. Recording Secretary,Mrs. Elizabeth F. Hammond. Corresponding Secretary,Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Treasurer,Seth Mason. Librarian at,L. Roger Wentworth,Anna P. Vinal. Historic Sites. J. O. Hayden, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot. Luther B. Pillsbury. Essays and addresses. John F. Ayer, Chairman,Charles D. Elliot, William E. Brigham,Seth Mason, Mrs. V. E. Ayer. Library and cabinet. Alfred M. Cutler, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, Mrs. ss M. Agnes Hunt, Miss Lucy M. Stone,Miss Mary A. Haley, Miss Marion Knapp. Publications. Sam Walter Foss, Chairman,Frank M. Hawes, Sara A. Stone,John F. Ayer, ex-officio. Military records. Col. Edwin C. Bennett, Chairman,Levi L. Hawes, John H. Dusseault,Alfred M. Cutler. House. Mrs. Elizabeth
Historic leaves, volume 2, April, 1903 - January, 1904, The Prospect Hill Park Celebration. (search)
c,’ by the pupils; address, His Honor Lieutenant-Governor Curtis Guild, Jr.; singing, ‘The Star-Spangled Banner,’ (with accompaniment by the band); remarks, by John F. Ayer, president of the Somerville Historical Society; poem, by Librarian Sam Walter Foss; music, Eighth Regiment band; singing, ‘America.’ Address by Mayor Glinsed the seas to fight a foreign foe, stood together not as Virginians or sons of Massachusetts, but as Americans united against the common enemy. Address by John F. Ayer. John F. Ayer's address was as follows:— The tower is completed, outwardly, at all events. Still there remains to be placed in position the historical tJohn F. Ayer's address was as follows:— The tower is completed, outwardly, at all events. Still there remains to be placed in position the historical tablet. The committee has placed this in the hands of the Somerville Historical Society to formulate. That very important and agreeable duty the Historical Society will cheerfully and conscientiously perform. In concise and dignified English, it will tell the story, that all, young and old, may readily comprehend the r
another by and by, to which he will add a copious Appendix, with various letters and several more illustrations. The work bears the title of ‘Israel Putnam and Bunker Hill,’ as the following is entitled ‘Israel Putnam and Prospect Hill.’ John F. Ayer, Esq., President Somerville Historical Society:— Dear Sir: I thank you very much for the copy you sent me of the Somerville Journal, containing a full account of the dedication, on the twenty-ninth of October, of Prospect Hill Park and Mehim and his selection of the place for encampment, and his ‘supreme direction,’ what would have become of the recent celebration, and who would have ever heard the eloquent speeches of Mayor Glines, Governor Bates, Lieutenant-Governor Guild, and Mr. Ayer? Would the flag of the crosses and the stripes, to say nothing of the Connecticut banner, have been unfurled on the hill as they were, and would Washington have visited the spot as he did, and would all the noted warriors and their sold
1 2 3 4