Your search returned 19 results in 10 document sections:

Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Army Life in a Black Regiment, chapter 2 (search)
ootings, a minimum of speeches and a maximum of dinner. Bill of fare: two beef-cattle and a thousand oranges. The oranges cost a cent apiece, and the cattle were Secesh, bestowed by General Saxby, as they all call him. December 1, 1862. How absurd is the impression bequeathed by Slavery in regard to these Southern blacks, that they are sluggish and inefficient in labor! Last night, after a hard day's work (our guns and the remainder of our tents being just issued), an order came from Beaufort that we should be ready in the evening to unload a steamboat's cargo of boards, being some of those captured by them a few weeks since, and now assigned for their use. I wondered if the men would grumble at the night-work; but the steamboat arrived by seven, and it was bright moonlight when they went at it. Never have I beheld such a jolly scene of labor. Tugging these wet and heavy boards over a bridge of boats ashore, then across the slimy beach at low tide, then up a steep bank, and all
r command of Major Sanger of the Fifty-fifth Illinois, and accompanied by Gen. Sherman, now in command at Paducah; the Twenty-eighth Illinois, under command of Col. Beaufort; and the Forty-second Illinois, under command of Col. Roberts. We came down the river at a good rate of speed, probably ten miles an hour. The gunboats didimated that treason did — not rule supreme. The nature of the ensign being discovered, Commodore Foote ordered a detachment of the Twenty-seventh Illinois, (Col. Beaufort,) to disembark in the vicinity of the upper batteries. Two tugs accompanying our fleet were brought into requisition to aid in this work. About fifty men weree anything but two large saw-logs at the mercy of the current. Finally the spy-glass revealed the real character of the flag on the hill, and in a few moments Col. Beaufort's men were landed. I do not believe a hill of the same altitude was ever clambered as rapidly as was the great bluff of Columbus to-day by the Illinois volu
James Russell Soley, Professor U. S. Navy, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 7.1, The blockade and the cruisers (ed. Clement Anselm Evans), Chapter 4: (search)
into a military occupation was the capture of the forts at Hatteras Inlet, by Stringham, with a small body of troops under General Butler, August 29, 1861. This was followed, in February, 1862, by the expedition of Goldsborough and Burnside against Roanoke Island, and the active operations conducted subsequently by Rowan in the Sounds. The most important points in the interior waters of North Carolina were then occupied, and the small commerce in the Sounds came to an end. After a while Beaufort became the centre of occupation, though the headquarters of the squadron and the station of the flagship continued for a long time to be at Hampton Roads. On the 20th of July the steamer Daylight took her station off the mouth of Cape Fear River. With this diminutive force began the famous blockade of Wilmington—the port which later in the war became the scene of the most brilliant successes of the blockade-runners and the most strenuous efforts of the blockaders. The town is situated
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 16. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The Wee Nee volunteers of Williamsburg District, South Carolina, in the First (Hagood's) regiment. (search)
. The tents of the Wee Nees were good, and the men were now, with such articles as were furnished them by the Quartermaster and the kind ladies of Williamsburg, tolerably comfortable. There was some fever and a good many cases of measles on the island, but the Wee Nees suffered hardly as much as some of the other companies. On the 3d of November, 1861, a large fleet of the enemy's war vessels passed the mouth of the Stono river going south. It was not long till it was ascertained that Beaufort and Port Royal were their objective points. Heavy firing was heard in that direction on the night of the 4th and all of the morning of the 5th. We were not greatly apprehensive of disastrous results. The history of military operations shows that well constructed and properly armed fortifications have so great an advantage over a fleet, that such attacks have seldom been successful. This was before the days of monitors and ironclads. Port Royal was of so much value to us, and its acquis
Southern News. The Washington (N. C.) Dispatch publishes a graphic description of the bombardment and capture of Forts Clark and Hatteras, written by an officer on board the C. S. steamer Ellis. We cannot find room for it in this morning's paper. The writer makes the assertion that the invaders were guided on shore by a traitorous Methodist minister, named Taylor. The Wilmington Journal, of Saturday evening, says: A letter from Beaufort, dated the 5th, and received here this morning, conveys the information that a large war steamer was off that harbor for the last twenty-four hours. We trust that the people in that section will all be ready to receive them properly. There was a rumor this morning of a steamer having been seen off Camp Wyatt and Confederate Point last night. It was said that she had up a white flag. We cannot vouch for the accuracy of this last information. The Newbern Progress, alluding to the recent stampede from that place, says:
The Daily Dispatch: November 8, 1861., [Electronic resource], Jackson's brigade — separation between him and them. (search)
our fleet retired. On yesterday all was quiet. It was reported, however, that the Federals were landing at Hunting Island. About 7 o'clock last night firing was again heard at Port Royal, and warm work was anticipated. [second Dispatch.]heavy firing — terrible fighting at Beaufort, & C. Augusta, Nov. 7, P. M.--Special dispatches to the newspapers of Augusta from Savannah, dated to-day, state that heavy and rapid firing has been heard all the forenoon. A report from Beaufort, dated 10½ o'clock this morning, states that a terrible fight is progressing at Bay Point. The result is unknown. [third Dispatch.] Confederate batteries dismounted, &c. Savannah, Nov. 7. --8 o'clock, P. M.--Seven Federal vessels passed the batteries at Bay Point this morning. After getting inside, they opened fire on Hilton Head. The batteries at the latter point returned the fire. Several guns were dismounted on our batteries. The result to the Federal vessels is unknown
The Daily Dispatch: December 5, 1861., [Electronic resource], Federal reports from Southeastern Kentucky. (search)
eless I have opinions, and will express them, even if the distinguished Arch-Angel who got put out of court on a memorable occasion had his carriage at the door. [Cheers and loud laughter.] here is my platform: Take Japan and China for a model; that is, live a few years by ourselves--[cheers]--clap an export duty on our cotton and our tobacco, and double the Morrill tariff, [Oh, and no, no,] Destroy the port of Charleston — make a Sebastopol of its forts and block up its channels, and give Beaufort or Savannah all its commerce. Partition the State and ink-blot her name out of the map. [Hear.] Build the Pacific Railroad and establish a line of swift steamers between San Francisco and China. Make New York the stock market of the world.--Establish military schools; have a decent army — it looks respectable when you want a review. [Laughter,] Augment the navy and give Spain a hammering for her impudence in landing in St. Domingo. [Hear.] Wait until she gets into Mexico, under the guar
ng taken prisoners twice during the fight. On both occasions they were examining different points, with a view to a change of position, when they came upon the rebel pickets. Fortunately, they all escaped unhurt. While I am writing the wounded are being carried to the rear; for although the firing on both sides stopped at 9 P. M. it is expected the fight will be renewed in the morning with largely augmented forces on both sides. Our cavalry force at Madison Court-House, under Gen. Beaufort, has been driven out, and from every point we receive intimations that the rebels have determined to offer us an obstinate and bloody resistance. What the rebel loss has been to-day we cannot ascertain. Another account of the battle. Culpeper, Va., Saturday, Aug. 9. In consequence of the advance of the rebels to this side of the Rapidan, Maj-Gen. Pope sent forward too army corps, commanded by Gen. Banks, to hold them in check. At daylight this morning it was discovered
The Daily Dispatch: February 8, 1864., [Electronic resource], Another movement of the enemy from the Peninsula. (search)
oning but few stores, with the loss of fifty to one hundred men and one section of light artillery. Our forces are now so arranged that we are confident of a successful resistance. Almost simultaneously with this attack the enemy advanced on the south side of the Trent, with what force it is difficult to estimate, and were handsomely repulsed. Our communications continue with Morehead city, but the enemy are near the railroad with the evident intention of cutting it. The commander Beaufort is aware of the situation, and will use every effort to prevent the interruption of the road. (Signed) J. W. Palmer, Brig.-Gen. Later.--The section of artillery supposed to be captured is at Buck Creek, and may be preserved. Confederate raid on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad destruction of bridges — cavalry fighting — capture of Brigadier General Scammon. The following telegrams tell the Yankee side of the history of Gen. Early's operations against the Baltimore and Ohio
the "De Kalb regiment," which was recruited in this city, is expected to arrive home in a few days, probably this week, as their term of service will expose in a day or two. The regiment is composed of Germans, and their countrymen are making arrangements to give them a reception. The regiment left the city three years since one thousand and forty strong, out of which one hundred and fifty only are expected to return. The Slockads running — capture of the Pavensey. A letter from Beaufort, N C, noticing the capture of the blockade running steamer Pevensey, says: The vessel and cargo cost originally at least half a million of dollars. Much of the goods and stores have been so seriously damaged as to be rendered worthless. Captain Dove, acting commander in this port, has detailed detachments from several vessels to unload her. On Sunday the schooner Home, Gilbert, master, brought away several thousand pairs of shoes. There were seventy-five thousand pairs in all on boa