Browsing named entities in The Daily Dispatch: August 30, 1861., [Electronic resource]. You can also browse the collection for Gen Beauregard or search for Gen Beauregard in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 4 document sections:

The body of the late Col. Cameron--Correspondence with Gen Beauregard. Washington, July 26th, 1861 Gen Beauregard, Com of Confederate Army Dear Sir: --With a grieved and torn heart I address you. If it is in your power, will you give a word of comfort to a distressed spirit I allude to the death of the gallant Col. CGen Beauregard, Com of Confederate Army Dear Sir: --With a grieved and torn heart I address you. If it is in your power, will you give a word of comfort to a distressed spirit I allude to the death of the gallant Col. Cameron, of the Federal Army, on last Sunday,21st July. We are all God's creatures, alike in his sight. It is a bereaved sister that petitions Col Cameron received two shots, immediately following each other, that destroyed his life.The fats of his body is the grief — to know what has become of it Think of the distress of a like nortrait of Col Cameron and wife, which he intends to return to their friends after the war, for at present no intercourse of he kind is admissible between the two contending parties With much respect. I remain, Your most obed't servant, G T Beauregard, General Comd'g Mrs. S. Z. Evants, No. 553, Capital Hill, Washington, D C.
. It is evident that the telegraph, acting under the control of the Government, suppressed the replies of Mrs. Tyler to Col. T.'s messages, and thus laid the toils for him: Newfort Barracks, Aug. 14th, 1861. Not having any positive information of the whereabouts of my wife, whom I had heard from but once since my resignation from the U. S. Army, and having reason to suppose she was in a community which did not sympathize with me in the great national struggle, I obtained from Gen. Beauregard a leave of absence of ten days for the purpose of finding her, with the intention of taking her to Virginia. Meeting Lieut. Waddy, recently resigned, I learned from him that my family was near Cincinnati. I repaired to Nashville, telegraphed twice; but could get no reply.--With a natural anxiety, but imprudently, as the sequel will show, I resolved to brave the dangers of an arrest by searching for it in Ohio. The cars which left Louisville at 11:30 were advertised to reach Cincinnat
The Daily Dispatch: August 30, 1861., [Electronic resource], Mr. Russell's second letter on the Manassas rout — an editorial from the London Times. (search)
20,000 Nineteen regiments, whose term of service was up, or would be within a week, all refused to stay an hour over their time, with the exception of four. Five regiments have gone home, two more go to-day, and three more to-morrow. To avoid being cut off with the remainder, I fell back and occupied this place."--This is, we think, one of the most astounding incidents in the history of war. It entirely agrees with the statement given by our special correspondent, that while the cannon of Beauregard were thundering in their ears, a regiment of volunteers passed him on their way home, their three months term of service being complete. If such a thing had happened to one corps, it might have been set down to the bad counsels of one or more discontented spirits, or to the injudicious conduct of some commanding officers. But here it is evident that the whole volunteer army of the Northern States is worthless as a military organization. It is useless to comment on the behavior of men wh
grandson of Mrs. Henry D. Gilpin, of this city. Upon the breaking out of the war he received a Lieutenant's commission in the Confederate army, and he was with Beauregard at Manassas.--This fact caused much uneasiness to his grandmother, and she determined to procure his discharge, if possible. A lady friend of Mrs. Gilpin attemted to accomplish this object, and, in a carriage, she succeeded in working her way through both lines, and into the rebel camp. Here she had an interview with Beauregard, who received her with much politeness, and promised to take the case into consideration, and, if possible, to comply with the request of the relative of the young man. After waiting for some time without hearing from Beauregard, application was made to Gen. Lee, and he complied with the request of the friends of Johnston, and discharged him from the service. He then joined his mother, at Warrenton, Va., and three weeks ago he succeeded in reaching Philadelphia, where he has made his ho