hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 4 0 Browse Search
The Daily Dispatch: July 14, 1863., [Electronic resource] 3 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 7 results in 3 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Letters from Fort Sumter. (search)
them. They were within 800 yards of the Fort, and could not be seen by the other fortifications on account of the denseness of the fog; so that for some time our single gun was the only one on our side engaged. I could scarcely restrain my tears at our helpless situation. It was a sad reflection indeed to think that all our guns were disabled, and that, too, when we so much needed them, and that we had only one with which to fight the sneaking sea-devils. After awhile, however, Moultrie, Bee, Simpkins, Gregg, all opened, and, after a hot fight of two hours, in which we in the Fort were the only ones to suffer, the enemy thought fit to retire. I need not speak of the injury that we sustained, for we could scarcely be injured more than we already were. The reason of the enemy's appearance this morning was doubtless on account of their belief that the Fort was abandoned; for, before we opened, a launch filled with troops was seen approaching the Fort, and was quite near the wharf
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), Morris Island. (search)
y the heroic defence of this noted battery. The fighting for Charleston, which was to continue without cessation until the evacuation of the city, almost at the close of the war, began at the southern point of Morris Island, July 10th, 1863, where Captain John C. Mitchel, with a handful of men, held the enemy in check and prevented their landing for many hours, until our soldiers were largely outnumbered, while our position was enfiladed by the fleet. When they at length retreated, poor John Bee, a Lieutenant in the First artillery, was one of those who were left dead behind them. He was a good officer and a fine fellow, with generous, chivalric feelings. How little did those who knew him as a light-hearted boy dream that he would fall on that ocean washed shore and sleep there so soundly that the loudest cannon could never more awaken him to the turmoil of this mortal life. Battery Wagner was assaulted that very night, and the weary but brave-hearted artillerists, who had fou
. We learn, however, that the battery was very slightly injured. An officer, who observed the effect of our shots, says they struck and rolled off the sides and decks of the monitors like so many marbles or pebble stones. Capt. Haskell's and Lieut. Bee's bodies fell into the hands of the enemy. Drs. R. B. Hanalian and Prioleau are said to be prisoners in the hands of the enemy. Capt. Langdon Cheves, an accomplished and very efficient officer of the Engineer corps, was killed almost instay. The fight doubtless will be renewed to day, with greater fierceness than any we have yet seen. The enemy has certainly shown a deep laid plan, and is determined to push it. The following is a list of the killed and wounded among the officers, Friday, on Morris's Island: Killed--Capt. Chas Haskell, Capt. Langdon Cheves, Lt. John Bee. Wounded--Capt. J. W. Ford, Lt. Aleton, Capt. Wild, Capt. Thomas, Capt Tarth. Missing--Capt. Howard, Lt. A. P Craig, Capt. Reddy, Lt. Woodward.