Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for James G. Blunt or search for James G. Blunt in all documents.

Your search returned 20 results in 17 document sections:

1 2
ld out from Europe would stop the effusion of blood, and would make the homes of our workingmen happy again. He had not made these remarks lightly or in haste, and he submitted them to his fellow-countrymen, believing that, if acted upon, they would redound to their prosperity and their honor. Orders were issued from the War Department at Washington, to prevent the evasion of military duty, and for the suppression of disloyal practices; also authorizing the arrest of persons discouraging enlistments.--(Doc. 175.) At Baltimore, Md., several persons were arrested while endeavoring to escape from that city, in order to evade the draft ordered by the Secretary of War.--Portland, Calloway County, Mo., was captured by a party of rebel guerrillas under the command of Capt. Cobb. After robbing the stores and residences, the guerrillas left the place.--General Blunt and staff left Leavenworth, Kansas, to take the field in command of the Indian expedition.--Leavenworth Conservative.
e following despatch from Leaven-worth, Kansas, to the War Department at Washington: Major Champion Vaughan, of General Blunt's staff, has arrived at these headquarters with despatches. Gen. Blunt marched with one thousand five hundred men frGen. Blunt marched with one thousand five hundred men from Fort Scott, August seventeenth, and followed the rebels as far north as Lone Jack. The enemy declined an engagement and commenced a retreat. They were hotly pursued by Gen. Blunt, and driven in utter confusion across the Osage, with the loss of Gen. Blunt, and driven in utter confusion across the Osage, with the loss of all their transportation and equipments, besides numerous arms, prisoners, etc. It is considered that the expedition saved the Missouri towns and the western border from devastation, besides striking terror into the hearts of the enemy as far as the Arkansas line. Gen. Blunt's column returned to Fort Scott on the twenty-second, having marched nearly three hundred miles in six days. Col. Cloud was left to continue the pursuit, and it is not improbable that the main force of the rebels will b
mith, and all others seeking for this object, as much as possible.--A Union meeting was held in Beaufort, N. C. Patriotic speeches were made, and resolutions indorsing President Lincoln's proclamation liberating the slaves of rebels, were passed. The Union army under General Schofield, left Pea Ridge, Ark., last evening, in pursuit of the rebels retreating through that State. One portion of the Union army under General Schofield, taking the road toward Huntsville, and the other under General Blunt going toward Maysville, on the boundary line between Arkansas and the Indian Nation.--(Doc. 12.) A skirmish took place at Woodville, Tenn., between the Second Illinois cavalry, under the command of Major John J. Mudd, and a party of rebel guerrillas under Haywood, resulting in a complete rout of the latter, leaving in the hands of the Unionists forty of their number as prisoners, a wagon-load of arms, a large number of saddles, and about one hundred horses and mules. A fight oc
October 22. General Blunt with a division of Union troops this day attacked a force of rebels five thousand strong at Old Fort Wayne, near Maysville, Ark., and after an hour's sharp fighting completely routed them and captured all their artillery, a large number of horses, and a portion of their transports and garrison equipage, the rebels retreating toward Fort Smith.--General Schofield with a Union force this day drove the rebels under General Hindman, through Huntsville, Ark., to a point beyond the Boston Mountain.--(Doc. 12.) Yesterday an expedition of troops, gunboats, and transports, under command of General J. M. Brannan, left Hilton Head, S. C., by way of the Coosahatchie and Pocotaligo Rivers, to destroy the bridges and tear up the track of the Charleston and Savannah Railroad. One wing of the expedition under command of Colonel W. B. Barton, to-day marched upon the village of Coosahatchie, attacked a passing train, killing and wounding several, afterward tore up
November 8. Yesterday General Bayard was attacked by the rebels at Rappahannock Bridge, Virginia, but succeeded in repulsing them. This morning he continued his operations and compelled them to retire, leaving him in possession of the bridge and all the neighboring fords. During the day, he captured Lieutenant-Colonel Blunt, of General Longstreet's staff, together with two servants and ten men of the rebel army.--A very heavy snow-storm occurred in Richmond, Virginia, and its vicinity.--The First company of the South-Carolina colored volunteers was mustered into the service of the United States, at Beaufort, South-Carolina, by General Saxton. Colonel Lee, of the Seventh Kansas, with about one thousand five hundred Union cavalry, made a successful reconnoissance in the vicinity of Hudsonville, Mississippi, defeating a party of rebels in a short skirmish, killing sixteen, and capturing one hundred and seventy-five of their number, one hundred horses, and a stack of firearms
November 28. The battle of Cane Hill, Ark., was fought by the Union forces under General Blunt, and the rebel troops under the command of General Marmaduke, which resulted in a retreat of the latter with considerable loss.--(Doc. 34.) This morning, while doing picket-duty near Hartwood Church, about fifteen miles from Falmouth, Va., the first and third squadrons of the Third Pennsylvania cavalry, belonging to General Averill's brigade, were suddenly attacked by a numerically superior force of rebel cavalry, and after a brief resistance, in which four of the Unionists were killed and nine wounded, were finally taken prisoners. An important reconnoissance was this day made by a large Union force under the command of General Stahel, to Upperville, Paris, Ashby's Gap, Snickersville, Berryville, etc.--(Doc. 50.) An expedition consisting of five thousand infantry and two thousand cavalry, under the command of General A. P. Hovey, yesterday left Helena, Ark., and to-day
December 7. The United States mail steamer Ariel was captured off the eastern shore of Cuba by the rebel privateer Alabama, but was released after some detention, on giving a bond for two hundred and twenty-eight thousand dollars, payable in thirty days after the acknowledgment of the rebel government.--General A. P. Hovey, returned to Friar's Point on the Mississippi, this morning. The battle of Prairie Grove, or Fayetteville, Arkansas, was this day fought between the National forces under the command of Generals Blunt and Herron, and the rebels under Generals Hindman, Marmaduke, Parsons, and Frost, resulting in the defeat of the latter with heavy loss.--(Doc. 24.) A fight took place at Hartsville, Tenn., between a body of Union troops under the command of Colonel A. B. Moore, of the One Hundred and Fourth Illinois, and a numerically much superior force of rebels under General John H. Morgan, resulting in the surrender of the whole Union force.--(Doc. 65.)
A skirmish occurred to-day in the vicinity of Suffolk, Va., between a reconnoitring force of Union troops, under the command of Acting Brigadier-General Gibbs, and a force of rebel cavalry, in which the latter were routed and driven for six or eight miles. The Nationals captured a number of horses and fire-arms, the latter of which the rebels threw away in their flight.--Baltimore American. Van Buren, Ark., was entered and captured by a force of Union troops, under the command of General J. G. Blunt, together with the rebel garrison, a large amount of ammunition, four steamboats laden with army supplies, and a ferry-boat.--(Doc. 90.) Major Foley, commanding an expedition sent by Major-General Granger to Elk Fork, Campbell County, Tenn., composed of two hundred and fifty men of the Sixth and Tenth Kentucky cavalry, surprised a camp of rebels, three hundred and fifty strong, at that place, killing thirty, wounding one hundred and seventy-six, and capturing fifty-one, without t
January 16. General James G. Blunt having discovered that certain attorneys and war claim agents, in his military district, had been guilty of endeavoring to incite dissatisfaction and insubordination among the soldiers, issued an order to his subordinates, authorizing the arrest of all such offenders, and that they be sent to his headquarters at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, with the charges against them preferred.--Commander Couthouy, and the officers of the United States steamer Columbia, which vessel was stranded at Masonboro Inlet, N. C., yesterday, surrendered themselves to the rebels, under Colonel Lamb, this day. The naval expedition up the White River, Ark., under the command of John G. Walker, of the gunboat Baron DeKalb, landed at Duvall's Bluff, meeting with no resistance, and captured two eight-inch guns and carriages, two hundred stands of arms with their accoutrements, and three platform cars, upon which the guns were being hoisted, when the rebels took the alarm
February 13. A large and enthusiastic public meeting of unconditional Union men was this evening held in the city of Leavenworth, Kansas. Speeches were made by General Blunt, and others, and loyal resolutions were unanimously adopted, proclaiming all who ask for peace with rebels in arms against the Government, except on the terms of unconditional submission to the Constitution and the laws, or who propose a separation of the Union in any manner, to be traitors, and indorsing the President's Emancipation Proclamation. Yesterday, about one o'clock in the afternoon, a squad of Baylor's rebel cavalry attacked a small scouting-party of twelve men, of the Twelfth Pennsylvania cavalry from Kearneysville, near Smithfield, Va., killing one, wounding two, and capturing four men and several horses. About four o'clock P. M., General Kelly's scouts from Harper's Ferry, Md., fell in with the same party a few miles south of Charlestown, and after a running fight of several miles recap
1 2