Your search returned 25 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
Albert Clifford Tufts. By Edward C. Booth. Albert Clifford Tufts died March 19, 1904, at his residence, 144 Summer street, Somerville. He had been ill with grippe for three weeks, and was convalescing, when cerebral symptoms supervened, which rapidly brought on a fatal termination. Mr. Tufts was the youngest child of Nathan, Jr., and Mary Jane (Fitz) Tufts, and was born in the house in which he died, September 11, 1864. His paternal grandfather was Nathan Tufts, of Somerville, for whom the Nathan Tufts park, surrounding the old mill and Powder House, was named. His maternal grandfather was Abel Fitz, a prominent merchant of Charlestown, and early resident of Somerville. Mr. Tufts was educated in the public schools of his native city. On his graduation from the high school in 1883, he entered the counting room of his father and brother, grain merchants on Warren bridge, Charlestown. He became a partner on the death of his father in 1887, and was active in the business ti
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Gregory Stone and some of his descendants (search)
espectively, of Nathaniel Hawkins. The next to serve the Milk Row school was a prominent personage, in his day, in this part of Charlestown. He and the faithful partner of his toils are perhaps the best-known local figures of that eighteenth century time. We refer to Peter Tufts, Jr., and Anne Adams Tufts. He was elected to his office May 7, 1771, and continued therein two or three years. For an account of him the reader is referred to the admirable article on the Tufts family, by Dr. E. C. Booth, in Vol. I. of this magazine. A few additional dates may not be out of place. This worthy couple were married April 19, 1750. Their graves may be seen in the old Phipps-street yard, Charlestown, where it is recorded that Mr. Tufts died March 4, 1791, aged sixty-three, and his widow, February 7, 1813, aged eighty-four. A list of their twelve children, with some of their descendants, may be found in Wyman's History of Charlestown. The next name to interest us is that of Stephen M
os, Governor, 31. Ann Street, Boston, 4. Arbella, The, 29. Arlington, Mass., 15, 38, 56, 74, 87. Ash Street, Boston, 51. Austin Street, Somerville, 3. Baldwin, George Rumford, 3. Baldwin, Loammi, 2, 3. Barrett, Samuel, Jr., 11. Bartlett, Hon., Josiah, M. D., 48. Bell Rock, Malden, 58. Big Bethel, 35. Billerica, Mass., 1, 7, 9. Bishop of London, 18. Blackstone, Lone Settler of Boston, 30. Blackstone Street, Boston, 4. Blessing of the Bay, The, 33. Booth, Dr. E. C., 20, 89, 92. Boston Avenue, Somerville, 3. Boston Gazette, 65. Boston & Lowell Railroad, 8. Boston & Maine Railroad, 10. Botanic Gardens, Cambridge, 75. Boles, John, 41. Bowman, Francis, 38. Bowman, Hon. Selwyn Z., 42. Bowman, Zadoc, 42. Bradish, Hannah, 65. Bradshaw, John, 16. Bradshaw, Jonathan, 68. Bradstreet, Samuel, 43. Brattle Street, Cambridge, 51, 52. Brattle, William, 55. Bredge, Mathew, Sr., 83. Breed's Hill, Charlestown, 47. Brigade Band of Bos
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908,
Union Square
and its neighborhood about the year 1846. (search)
d Medford streets. His father formerly owned the grain mills at Charlestown Neck, and the grain store near Warren bridge. Nathan Tufts was also father of Mrs. Booth, and of Nathan Tufts, Jr., who lived on Central street, and grandfather of Dr. E. C. Booth, and of Miss M. Alice Tufts and Albert C. Tufts, deceased; and was brother of Charles Tufts, founder of Tufts College. Between Nathan Tufts' house and the Lowell railroad was the house of Samuel C. Bradshaw, Jr., still standing; he owned a daughter, Miss Joanna Kinsley, recently lived in Brighton. On the west side of Boston street, near Washington, was a house owned by Benjamin F. Allen, who married Mrs. Booth, widow of Dr. Chauncey Booth, of McLean asylum, and mother of Dr. E. C. Booth, one of the trustees of our public library. When the Pope schoolhouse was built, this house was moved to another lot on Boston street, where it now stands. On the south side of Munroe street, which at one time was called Prospect street, s
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908, Original English inhabitants and early settlers in Somerville.—(Ii.) (search)
of the senior Peter Tufts and his wife, Mary Pierce, the progenitors of the family on this side of the Atlantic, are through their sons James and John and daughter Elizabeth. Either Peter Tufts, Sr., the father, or Peter Tufts, Jr., the brother, of these three had an orchard home; near Wildridge's Hill, more than a quarter of a century before the third Peter was at Milk Row. The junior Peter probably had no issue here. So much information about the Tufts family has been given by Dr. Edward C. Booth in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, by the late Thomas B. Wyman in his Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, and by the late William H. Whitmore in his Medford Genealogies, that further attempts at this time seem unnecessary. The descendants of the progenitors now living in Somerville are one hundred and thirteen in number, enough to found a colony. Ebenezer Shed, 1727, perhaps lived on or near the Road to Cambridge, now Washington street, as he had possessi
e. As you are well aware, we have reached to-day our tenth milestone, and though ten years seem but a day when we look back on time, that short period marks many an important and pleasant period in any society. Pursuant to a call made by circular June 17, 1897, by the late John S. Hayes, Esq., fifteen prominent citizens of Somerville met at the Public Library on the evening of June 29, 1897, and a temporary organization was then made by the choice of John S. Hayes as chairman and Dr. E. C. Booth as secretary. After remarks made by those present and letters read from prominent citizens approving the movement, it was then and there voted that it is the sense of this meeting that an historical society be formed, and that a committee be appointed to formulate a plan of organization and prepare a set of by-laws and present them for approval, which was done in the following October, 1897 (ten years ago to-night), and one hundred and thirty-five persons paid and signed the by-laws.
M. Barber Mrs. Annie R. Barker Mr. James A. Barker Resigned.Mrs. Sarah J. Battelle Charter members. Life members.Mr. George L. Baxter Resigned.Mr. Dana W. Bennett Decreased.Col. Edwin C. Bennett Decreased. Charter members. Life members.Mr. James F. Beard Life members.Miss Alice Burt Berry Resigned.Mr. William H. Berry Mr. Norman W. Bingham, Jr. Resigned.Mr. Edward A. Binney Decreased.Mrs. Elizabeth Blodgett Charter members.Dr. E. C. Booth Resigned.Mr. Belding B. D. Bourne Resigned.Mr. Charles E. Bowers Mr. S. Z. Bowman Resigned.Mr. Harry P. Bradford Resigned.Mr. Charles E. Brainard Mr. William E. Brigham Charter members. Resigned.Mrs. Hannah S. Brine Resigned.Miss Nellie P. Brine Resigned.Mr. William Percival Brine Decreased. Charter members.Mr. Elbridge L. Brooks Resigned.Mrs. Elbridge L. Brooks Mr. George E. Brown Resigned. Charter members.Hon. George A. Bru
0. Bennett, Edwin Clark, 10, 41. Bennett, George Eldon, 10, 41. Bennett, Herbert W., 10. Bennett, Irving M., 107 Bennett, Josiah, 10. Bennett. Melvina, 10. Berkeley Street, 32. Berlin's Station, 20. Bethesda Church, 61. Betsey Ross Flag, 73. Bigelow, —, 69. Blair, Nathaniel, 14, 36. Bleachery, 33. Blessing of the Bay, The, 74. Blodgett, Phineas W., 41. Bolles, David, 8. Bolles, Professor, 74. Bonner, Philip, 9. Bonner, William, 9. Booth, Dr., Chauncey, 12. Booth, Dr. E. C., 12, 51, 76. Boston & Maine Railroad, 26. Boston, Mass., 18, 28, 37, 38, 39. Boston Street, 12. Bottom's Bridge, 64. Boutwell, Hon. George S., 41. Bowdoin Square, 38. Bowman, Francis, 55. Bow Street, 7, 15, 16, 33, 36. Boxford, Mass., 18. Bradford, —, 79. Bradshaw, Edward H., 12. Bradshaw, Samuel C., 12. Brass Tube Works, 37, 42. Brastow, Captain, 17. Brastow, George O., 42, 55. Brick Yard Lane, 33, 34. Bridgewater, Mass., 2. Bridgewater, N. H., 1, 2. Brighton
The Tufts Family in Somerville by Edward C. Booth, M. D. The origin of the Tufts family is uncertain. It is not unlikely that they are of Norwegian descent, and went to England in the time of the Vikings. Branches are found in England, Scotland, and Ireland. The earliest settler of the name in America, and the progenitor of by far the largest branch of the family in this country, came from England. Precisely what part of England he came from is not known; but there are indications pointing to the southern part of Norfolk county as his native place. When he came is likewise unknown. Wyman says that he was an inhabitant in 1638. He kept the Ferry between Charlestown and Malden with his brother-in-law, Bridges, in 1646-7, but we have not been able to find any mention of him prior to that date. We do know, however, that he began to buy land in Charlestown and Malden between the years 1645 and '50, and that he continued to increase his holdings at short intervals till his d
The Tufts Family in Somerville by Edward C. Booth, M. D. [Continued.] Amos Tufts, the second son of Nathan, Sr., was almost entirely identified with Charlestown proper, where some of his descendants still live. Nathan, the youngest son of Nathan, Sr., was also a resident of Charlestown after his boyhood, and was an extensive butcher and tanner there. He also possessed much landed property in Somerville, owning the large farms around the Powder House and Walnut hill afterwards owned by his nephews, Charles and Nathan. Peter, the second son of Peter of Milk Row, born in 1728, was established on a farm on Winter hill. Many remember the old house near the westerly corner of Central street and Broadway, before its removal to Lowell street. Peter married an elder sister of his brother Nathan's wife,—Anne Adams, for whom the Somerville Daughters of the Revolution named their chapter. They had a large family of children, of whom only Peter, John, Joseph, and Sarah were espec
1 2