At the Sunday morning service, September 6, Rev. G. M. Preston read the Scriptures, and the pastor, Rev. J. P. Abbott, delivered the Historical Address—a valuable and interesting paper.
A hymn was contributed by Henry S. Washburn.
In the evening there was a special service of song, including a hymn written for the occasion by one of the members of the church.
Rev. Dr. Howe of Cambridge, with his crown of eighty-five years, Rev. James L. Hill, D. D., pastor of the Mystic Church, Rev. L. D. Bragg, of the Medford
Methodist Episcopal Church, occupied the platform.
A portion of the Scriptures was read by Deacon C. H. Clark, and a chapter from Baptist Chronicles, the contribution of one of the women of the church, was read by Mr. J. M. G. Plummer.
Addresses by the visiting clergymen followed.
On Monday afternoon, September 7, the people assembled in the lecture-room and parlor, and after congratulations and hand-shakings, all sat down to a well spread board, where Deacon Wi
furtherance of some special object.
The fair papers, announcing a fair or festival, of course were ephemeral,—still a collection of such would be of historic interest.
They were generally financed by their advertising patrons for the furtherance of their respective objects, and, as was expected, only transitory.
Several of the Medford churches have at times published weekly or monthly papers.
In 1886 and 1887 the First Medford Episcopal Church published its Enterprise, a monthly (Rev. L. D. Bragg edited it) in furtherance of the big enterprise of raising the burdensome debt upon the church property.
That it was a help is seen in the fact that its first two subscription payments was the first money collected toward $14,000. Some town news, as well as parish and church, may be found in its columns.
In 1901, Rev. J. V. Clancy launched the Parish Beacon, an eight-page monthly, in May.
Though primarily in behalf of the West Medford Congregational Church, it was of interest to t