hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2 4 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 4 results in 2 document sections:

William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 6: Essex County. (search)
n Perley, A. Judson Day. The town-clerk during all the years of the war was Nathaniel Hatch. The town-treasurer in 1861, and until Aug. 19, 1862, was William Tenney; and from that time until the present, 1871, Harvey M. Fowle. 1861. At the annual town-meeting held on the 26th of April, one thousand dollars were appropriated for aid to the families of citizens who have entered into active military service, or who may hereafter volunteer in the military service of their country; and E. F. Brigham and George Johnson were chosen to act with the selectmen in distributing the money appropriated. 1862. On the 17th of March the selectmen were authorized to borrow money necessary to furnish State aid to the families of volunteers, to be distributed in accordance with the law of the Commonwealth. July 21st, The selectmen were directed to raise money to pay each person now resident of Bradford, who shall enlist and be accepted within three weeks, the sum of one hundred and fifty dolla
William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 2, Chapter 15: Worcester County. (search)
the comfort of the soldiers. They raised large sums of money, which together with clothing, hospital stores, &c., was sent to the front. West Boylston Incorporated Jan. 30, 1808. Population in 1860, 2,509; in 1865, 2,293. Valuation in 1860, $886,550; in 1865, $860,922. The selectmen in 1861 were C. H. Baldwin, Levi Goss, Nahum Hastings; in 1862 and 1863, D. C. Murdock, Nahum Hastings, J. H. Moore; in 1864, D. C. Murdock, Nahum Hastings, J. S. Cutting; in 1865, D. C. Murdock, E. F. Brigham, L. Hawes. The town-clerk in 1861, 1862, 1863, and 1864 was H. Houghton; in 1865, H. F. Holt and A. Hind. The town-treasurer in 1861 was Oliver B. Sawyer; in 1862, 1863, 1864, and 1865, George F. Howe. We have not been able to obtain a complete transcript of the war record of the town. We know, however, that a meeting was held on the 29th of April, 1861, at which four thousand dollars were appropriated by the town to raise and equip a military company, and to pay them for time sp