hide Matching Documents

Your search returned 148 results in 12 document sections:

1 2
rds, the nearest house was that of Abby and Edmund Tufts, on the lower corner of Broadway and Central street. Mr. Tufts was a printer, and got out the first directory of Somerville. The next house, that of Chester Adams, was afterward moved to the foot of Winter Hill. Mr. Adams drove down to the bank in Charlestown every morning. There was no regular public conveyance to the city, but a stage ran from Charlestown to Medford, sometimes on Medford Turnpike, and sometimes on Main street (Broadway), which would occasionally pick up a passenger on the highway. The next house was on the lower corner of Main and School streets, owned and occupied by Asa Tufts, a farmer, whose family consisted of a wife and four children. Later Mr. Ring built a house below this of Mr. Tufts, and there was also a double house, occupied by the families of Luther and Nathaniel Mitchell, brickmakers. At this time there were brickyards on Main street, and the dangerous clay-pits remained long after the b
r on the Mystic, at Medford, and again another grant of 1,000 acres or more on Concord river. Winthrop seems to have temporarily resided in Cambridge in 1632. He probably resided at Ten Hills summers, and at Boston winters, maintaining an establishment at Ten Hills the year round. The original Ten Hills farm, as granted by the general court to Winthrop in 1631, comprised all the land south of Mystic river, from Broadway park to Medford centre, the southerly boundary of the farm being Broadway as far as the Powder House, and then by a line now obliterated to Medford centre. Ten Hills might with some reason be called a Gubernatorial Demense, being with occasional interruptions owned in families of governors or their associates, from its first grant, to the present time. Its first owner was Governor Winthrop, of Massachusetts; then his son, John Winthrop, Jr., governor of Connecticut; then Charles Lidgett, an associate of Governor Andros; then the wife of Lieutenant-Governor Us
g., 50. Brigham, Peter B., 56. Brigham, Peter T., Esq., 53. Brigham, Thomas, The Puritan, 49. Brigham, Town of, Duffield, Eng., 49. Brigham, William E., 49. Brigham, W. I. T., 51. British Museum, 73. Brighton, Mass., 53, 79. Broadway, Somerville, 22, 31. Broadway Park, 3, 31. Brooks, Captain, Caleb, 16. Brooks Estate, West Medford, 3. Brooks (family), 42. Brown, Jonathan, 41. Bullard, Colonel, Samuel, 38. Bunker Hill, Charlestown, 66. Bunker Hill National Bank, 21.6, 73. Longfellow, H. W., 82. Lord Macaulay, 64. Lovell's Island, 12, 13. Lowell, Mass., 4, 5, 6, 8, 9. Lowell Road, 3. Lowell & Nashua Railroad, 10. Luxford, —, 33. Lynn Farm, 12. Lyon, The Ship, 32. Magoun, —, 40. Main Street (Broadway), Somerville, 22. Main Street, Charlestown, 3. Main Street, Medford, 3. Malden, Mass., 12, 58, 66. Mallet, Isaac, 66, 67. Manet, Thomas, 76. Maple Meadow Brook, 2. Marlboro, Mass., 55. Mason, Rebecca, 48. Mason, Thaddeus, Esq.,
bring them into town every evening. If the main had been an uncouth wilderness, like the country farther back, or even an unbroken forest, the poor cows and goats would have suffered as much from the lack of proper food as did their owners in the first hard year after their arrival. But we have abundant testimony in the early records that the cattle did thrive marvelously well. Still more conclusive is the fact that in 1637 a large tract of land lying between the Winter Hill road, now Broadway, and Cambridge was divided into rights of pasturage, and after this the main was called the common. But the destruction of the forest was so great that it was early necessary to take steps to prevent the needless waste of trees, and in 1636 it was voted in town meeting that a fine of 5 shillings be imposed for every tree felled and not cut up. But several years later, when one Willoughby was building a ship, the town, to encourage the enterprise, gave him liberty to take timber from the
itful zones of the equator. To-day the descendants of the English are building the canal, for the commerce of the world and the blessing of mankind, through the territory the others have held in possession four centuries. During the closing quarter of the first century of Charlestown's history, that portion of her territory now Somerville had sparsely settled on its two highways, the road to Cambridge and Boston, now Washington street in our city, and the road to Medford and Woburn, now Broadway. A few farmers dwelt on the road to Cambridge, while quite a cluster of dwellings stood on the higher ground, through which the Medford road ran. Among these was the residence of Samuel Phipps, town clerk of Charlestown, who died suddenly in February, 1731. He was a grandson of Solomon Phipps, the carpenter, and a nephew of Samuel Phipps, the recorder. His father was a son of the carpenter, Joseph Phipps, and his mother, Mary Kettell. Samuel was born 1696, town clerk 1726, and died 173
, 26, 38, 77, 79, 80, 81, 83, 86, 87. Boston Branch Library, 65. Boston Club, The, 2. Boston & Maine R. R., 78. Bowers, Hannah, 87. Bowers, Jerathmeel, 87. Boylston, Sarah, 89. Brackenbury, Annie (Anderson), 80. Brackenbury, John, 80. Brackenbury, Katherine, 80. Bradley, Mary, 80. Breed, Eben, 21. Breed, Captain, Eben, 82, 84. Breed, Ebenezer, 85. Breed's Island, 84. Breed, John, 84, 85. Brenton's Farms, 86. Bridge, Matthew, 44, 63. Brigden, Michael, 82, 84. Broadway, Somerville, 6, 18, 80, 81. Bromfield, John, 40. Brookline, Mass.. 1. Brooklyn, The, 51. Brown, Miss, Ann, 93. Bryant, William Cullen, 11. Buchanan, J., Esq., 72. Buchtel College, 2. Buck, Lieutenant-Colonel, 55. Bunch of Grapes Tavern, 86. Bunker, 79. Bunker, Abigail, 89. Bunker, Captain, Benjamin, 89. Bunker Hill, 17, 84. 89. Burlington, Mass., 77. Butler. General, 27, 31, 32, 49, 51, 52, 53, 55. Call, Caleb, 21, 89. Call, Elizabeth (Croswell), 89. Call, Jonathan
, Edward L. Stevens, Columbus Tyler, Edmund Tufts. Streets, courts, Lanes, and places in the town of Somerville. Broadway leads from Charlestown to West Cambridge, through the northern part of Somerville. Elm, from Broadway to Milk. Medss. Medford Turnpike leads from Charlestown to Medford, through the eastern part of Somerville. Park, from Bond to Broadway. Bond, from Park to Derby. Heath, from Park to Derby. Perkins, from Franklin to Charlestown. Cambridge Streee. The word street will be omitted as superfluous. Aborn, John, b. hatter, h. Cottage, out of Elm. Adams, Joseph, Broadway, foot of Winter Hill. Adams, Miss H. A. b. teacher, boards with J. Adams. Adams, Samuel, boards with J. C. Magoun,nezer W., b. merchant, h. Elm. Bartlett, Thomas, nail manufacturer, h. Cambridge. Bacon, Clark, b. gold beater, h. Broadway. Bartlett, Dr. Joseph E., h. corner of Broadway and Mt. Vernon. Bailey, Joshua S., baker, h. corner of Perkins and
Boles, John, takes charge of real estate, h. Broadway. Bowers, H. F., b. merchant, h. Spring. Burke, Edward, h. on lane from Porter's to Broadway. Burbank, Lorenzo, teamster, h. Cambridge rkins. Critchett, Thomas, b. inspector, h. Broadway. Crimmins, Thomas, laborer, h. Medford. maker, h. Joy. Cutter, Edward, yeoman, h. Broadway. Cutter, Fitch, yeoman, h. Broadway. CuBroadway. Cutter, Ebenezer F., h. Broadway. Cutter, Edward F., merchant, h. Walnut. Cutter, Edmund F., b. Broadway. Cutter, Edward F., merchant, h. Walnut. Cutter, Edmund F., b. accountant, h. Mt. Vernon. Cutter, Samuel H., h. Broadway. Cutter, Henry, h. Broadway. DaleBroadway. Cutter, Henry, h. Broadway. Daley, James, gardener, h. Medford. Dane, Osgood B., stone dealer, h. Beacon. Dane, Osgood, stone h. Milk. Danforth, Willard, brickmaker, h. Broadway. Danforth. David, grocer, h. Milk. Darlter, h. Church. Dingey, Peter, blacksmith, Broadway. Dodge, Charles H., b. trader, h. ProspectBroadway. Draper, Martin, Jr., teacher, h. Broadway. Draper, Lucius D., Cherry. Driscoll, D[11 more...]
allowed; this list is too long for this paper, but the territory laid cut, and which it covered, seems to be that part of our city which lies east of Central street, between Washington street, Bow street, and Somerville avenue on the south, and Broadway on the north, or East Somerville and Prospect and Central hills. It is doubtful, however, if all the land up to Central street was actually divided at this time, for although the proprietors met to draw their lots in accordance with the allotmeivision extended as far as Alewife brook; it covered 650 acres of land. These two divisions, or Dividents, as they were called, included all the territory between Washington street, Bow street, Somerville avenue, and Elm street on the south, to Broadway on the north, and from the present Charlestown line to the present Nathan Tufts Park, which it included, and the land on both sides of Broadway, from Powder House square to Alewife brook. It is perhaps doubtful whether or not all the lots in
R. Sawyer, but has now been removed to the rear. One rangeway more, now Central street. On the first corner stood a house owned and occupied by Edmund Tufts,—the first treasurer of Somerville,—and his sister, Abby Tufts. The house is now a thing of the past. The next house was owned and occupied by John C. Magoun, for many years an assessor of the town and city of Somerville. The house is still standing, and is occupied by one of his daughters. Next came the unfinished brick house of Samuel Welch, about which so many romantic stories have been told. The next was the Powder House, with perhaps a house in front of it. I am not sure. Beyond this to Alewife brook I have no recollection. I may have made an omission of a house or two, but cannot say where. The name of Winter Hill Road is passed and gone, and in its place only Broadway. It is to be hoped that sometime the present name will be abandoned, and the original and more desirable name of Winter Hill Road be restor
1 2