o the neglect of other.
For the year 1890 the book is of over six hundred pages, the valuation list occupying one-third.
That year and the next the town had six voting precincts for elections, the precursor of what was coming. The census of 1890 gave 11,790 as Medford's population.
In 1885 a petition was presented to the General Court from inhabitants of West Medford, asking that a division of the town be made, and that the western portion be incorporated as a new town under the name of Brooks.
Medford had then a population of 9,041.
The petitioners at this hearing set forth that they were opposed to a city form of government and desired separation in order to retain the management of their prudential affairs in the hands of the many, and not delegate all their rights and privileges to the control of a few.
The hearings before the legislative committee, to whom it was referred, together with arguments of counsel, form interesting reading, published as it was in separate volumes
with the historic significance of the place.
One noteworthy incident, however, he did not mention.
Captain Myles Standish with eight of his valorous army led by their Indian guide came here, to the house of Nanepashemit, wherein being dead he lay buried on September 21, 1621.
This was the first white man's coming ere Medford began.
And another: that just across the street, facing Woburn road was the house of Golden Moore, purchased by Thomas Brooks in 1660, and occupied by his son, Caleb Brooks, on his coming to Medford in 1679, and torn down by his grandson Samuel, just a century later.
It was the wish of Peter Chardon Brooks that the estate should remain in the family as long as possible.
Not until 1909 was any portion of the Brooks estate (west of the railroad) sold.
Then came the erection of numerous houses by the West Medford Real Estate Trust and others, after a resident occupancy of the Brooks families of two hundred and thirty years. And now, in these recent weeks h
t Brooks, for he reserved the right to make use of the landing place at the rock.
The clay pits were doubtless made use of by a later generation at least, for Caleb Brooks of Revolutionary fame, a brick-maker by trade, could hardly have neglected to utilize the clay beds that lay at hand.
The first of the Brooks family to taketween Grove street and the upper Mystic pond, as well as the eastern part of the property lying south of High street, including the house which he occupied.
Caleb Brooks died in Medford in 1696.
His real estate was divided between his two sons.
Ebenezer, the eldest, and the grandfather of Governor John Brooks, received, as ne inventory of their father's estate gives an insight into the living conditions of the early freeholder.
It is too long except for reference.
The estate of Caleb Brooks was inventoried at £ 630 s.14, of which the housing and lands were £ 500 and the personal property, £ 130 s.14.
It is evident from the detailed items that the
daughter Mary, who married Mr. Aaron Cutter of Arlington.
See Cutter Geneal.
(G. H. Cutter, Arlington, Mass.） b. 5 June, bapt.
13 Aug., 1738.
Was in Capt. Isaac Hall's company, and received credit for five days service on the Lexington alarm.
Elijah, b. 23, bapt.
26 July, 1741.
Probably the Elijah who was graduated from Harvard College, 1766.
Roger, b. 10, bapt.
16 Oct., 1743.
John, b. 11 Oct., bapt.
13 Oct., 1745; administration on his estate granted to his father, with Caleb Brooks and Thomas Reed as bondsmen, 9 May, 1763.
(According to the Perley Putnam Mss., this John had removed to St. John.
Billings, b. 11 May, 1749.
Benjamin, b. 26 Aug., bapt.
in Salem Village, 15 Sept., 1751, d. Savannah, Ga., 1801.
Henry Putnam's father, Eleazer Putnam, lived in Danvers.
He settled on a farm north of the Gen. Israel Putnam house and near the Topsfield boundary on the present Preston place. He was a farmer and probably well off. Here Henry was born.
In 1690 Elea
engraving in the Usher history of Medford, printed in 1886.
And again to the steel engraving in Brooks' history, making later reference thereto.
Now, let us look into the history of this old place on High street, also at a little of history and genealogy not written by Brooks or Usher.
An old resident (of somewhat noted Medford family), Caleb Swan, left a record soon after 1855, and our quotead.
Now we quote from another page of Mr. Swan:—
The visit of General Washington to Colonel Brooks in 1789 was in the forenoon.
He came on horseback, escorted by several gentlemen from Boston.
They came through Cambridge to old Menotomy across Wear bridge, through High Street to Col. Brooks' residence in the easterly end of the old Watson house [demolished in 1916] next the meetinghot.
A careful examination of the Thatcher Magoun Residence (steel engraving by J. W. Watts) in Brooks' History shows no bay window on the ell toward the river, no two-story extension at that end of
on High street near the residence of Deacon Train, on request of Dudley Hall and others.
We have not consulted the town records relative to these, but as Grace church had just been erected opposite the residence of Deacon Train, also the neighboring residence of J. W. Tufts, a permanent grade was a desirable one to have fixed.
But we see little of sidewalk on Winthrop street now sixty years later, and no houses on either side save one built seven years ago next the Puffer's corner of that day, but note that at last the old wooden bridge is succeeded by the new one just opened, and that the Winthrop street of today extends from Winchester to Somerville lines, crossing the Mystic Valley parkway, unthought of in that old day.
The old Watson house, where President Washington came to visit Colonel Brooks in 1790, the Deacon Train and the Roach houses are gone, and the cellar hole and the vacant land along the permanent grade, under the modern name of Traincroft, await new residents.