Your search returned 21 results in 5 document sections:

l, R. I.342 196 ShipEli WhitneySprague & James'sSprague & JamesEli WhitneyBoston548 197 ShipEllen BrooksGeorge Fuller'sGeorge FullerR. D. ShepherdBoston480 198 ShipNantasketJ. Stetson'sJ. StetsonSargent & BrooksBoston461 199 ShipFranconiaJ. Stetson'sJ. StetsonH. HallBoston510 200 ShipLuconiaT. Magoun'sCurtis & Co.D. C. BaconBoston550 2011835ShipLevantT. Magoun'sT. MagounPerkins & Co.Boston48yden & CudworthWilliam LincolnBoston1150 497 ShipEdith RoseT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthCrowell, Brooks, & Co.Boston500 498 ShipFleet WingT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthCrowell, Brooks, & Co.Boston850 Brooks, & Co.Boston850 499 ShipHerald of the MorningT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthMagoun & SonBoston1250 5001854ShipRobin HoodT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthHowes & CrowellBoston1150 501 BarkLamplighterT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthLombard & Co.Boston360 502 ShipOsborn HowesT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthCrowell, Brooks, & Co.Boston1050 503 ShipRamblerT. Magoun'sHayden & CudworthBaxter & BrothersYarmouth1080 504 BarkElm
the year 1851, and in the yard of Sprague and James) which may be seen at the Historical Building. Within two years there has come to the Society a photograph of the Syren lying at a wharf; also from Mr. Shepherd Brooks a photograph of the Ellen Brooks, 480 tons, built by George Fuller for R. D. Shepherd in 1834, the 197th in the list of Medford-built ships. These are especially interesting. The Syren is given as 1,050 tons in the list in Brooks' history. In 1851 Frederic Gleason of Bos97th in the list of Medford-built ships. These are especially interesting. The Syren is given as 1,050 tons in the list in Brooks' history. In 1851 Frederic Gleason of Boston began the weekly publication of Gleason's Pictorial, probably the first of its kind. Its illustrations were wood cuts, as it was long before the modern half-tone process. An examination of its pages is well worth making, and therein we find one of the Syren and reproduce here the text. Vol I, p. 149, (July 5, 1851):
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 22., The Register's twenty-second volume. (search)
s prepared for and read at the meetings. In recent years there have been fewer of local interest thus presented, but the Register has gathered otherwise much that will be valuable to the future historian of Medford. Prior to 1855, the time of Mr. Brooks' writing, there had been comparatively few town histories written. It was then a source of regret that the work was not earlier begun. These twenty-two volumes contain 2,344 pages, exclusive of title pages, index and illustrations. Their p Register has continued to appear, though sometimes belated. On one occasion an annual deficit was prevented by the timely gift of one hundred dollars, by a grandson of a former Medford clergyman. The town in 1855 from its treasury assisted Mr. Brooks in his publication, and in 1886, Mr. Usher more largely in his. For his careful work in 1905, Mr. Hooper received no remuneration whatever, nor has the Historical Society ever (contrary to current impression) received any financial aid in its w
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Medford Ship building Notes (search)
ames of those four, and who the owners? From the names given we might infer that some were built for the East India trade. The half models of six are preserved in the Historical building. One of these is that of the Avon, built in the short time of twenty-six days—a privateer in 1815. Another reminder of the vanished industry is the rigged model of the Syren (see Register, Vol. XXII, p. 76) and a photograph of the same lying at wharf. Besides these we have the framed photo of the Ellen Brooks, and a faded photo of the steamship Cambridge, of the above list. The last ship built in Medford was by Captain Foster in 1873, and Mr. Woolley's excellent water-color is also framed and hangs in the society's assembly hall, and the artist's story of the launching and brief history of the Pilgrim in Vol. XVI, p. 71, of the Register. Also in Vol. XXI, No. 1, may be found the view of the wreck, and story of the Living Age. Further than these there is little to tell us of Medford's once
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30., The Brooks Estates in Medford from 1660 to 1927. (search)
son of Peter Chardon Brooks, senior. The delta, at the meeting of High and Grove streets, was laid out by the latter, and for many years after him the trees and shrubs were kept in order by his son and grandson. In the collection of silver belonging to the First Parish church are two silver flagons presented by him in 1823. It was the same benefactor who built in 1846 the granite wall along the east side of the old burying ground, where so many of his ancestors lie buried. In 1869, Mrs. Ellen Brooks, widow of Gorham Brooks, with her two sons, Shepherd and Peter C. the third, gave both land and church edifice to Grace Episcopal church. In 1897 the Commonwealth received from the latter a gift of forty acres of land once owned by the Middlesex Canal Corporation, now a part of the Mystic Valley parkway. The Whitmore brook reservation was created in 1901 out of land presented to the Commonwealth by Peter C. and Shepherd Brooks. Brooks road, on the east side of the South Winchester r