hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 5. 1 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8. 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 235 results in 48 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 3., The Governor Brooks monument. (search)
The Governor Brooks monument. FOLLOWING is the inscription on the monument in memory of Governor John Brooks in Salem Street Cemetery, Medford: Sacred to the memory of John Brooks who was Born in Medford in the month of May 1752 and educated at the town School he took up arms for his country on the 19TH of April 1775; he Commanded the regiment which first entered the enemy's lines at Saratoga and served with honor to the close of the War. he was appointed Marshal of the district of Massachusetts by President Washington and after filling several important Civil and military offices, he was in the year 1816 chosen Governor of the Commonwealth and discharged the duties of that station for several Successive years to General acceptance he was A kind and Skilful physician, A brave and Prudent officer, A wise, firm and Impartial Magistrate, A true patriot, A good citizen and A faithful friend in his manner he was A Gentleman, in morals pure, and in profession and practice A Consiste
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 3., The early names of Medford's streets. (search)
to Charlestown Line Spring St. from Main St. to Charlestown Line on the Road leading to Lechmere point Court St—from Main St. near Nathan Adams' House to Charlestown Line leading to Harvard College, Cambridge St from Benjm Tufts Corner to Stoneham Line Mountain Street— from Ship St to Salem St leading by the new Burring Ground Cross Street from Turell's Corner to Woburn Line purchase St from High St by Jona Brooks the old road to purchase St Woburn St—from High St near Cannel Bridge by P. C Brooks to Symme's Corner Grove St. John Howe, Chairman. Whether, as a matter offact, the town adopted all these names I do not know. Certainly some of them did not last many years; for only old residents of Medford or students of her history will recognize all the ways now known as High, Salem, Main, Riverside avenue, South, South Winthrop, Medford, Harvard, Fulton, Cross, North Winthrop, Woburn, and Grove streets. Several of the names are improvements on the present nomenclature, for there <
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., The development of the public School of Medford. (search)
ame of higher grade likewise seems as certain from the indirect evidence. In the eulogy of Gov. John Brooks delivered before the Massachusetts Medical Society by Dr. John Dixwell, quoted in Brooks' HBrooks' History of Medford, he says: Dr. Tufts observed the anxiety of the mother to elevate her son to a superior station in life, and encouraged her to give him as good an education as their finances would p educate him for his profession. These subjects were taught in our school, then, before 1766. Dr. Brooks was born in Charlestown, Symmes Corner, in 1752, but this had become a part of Medford in 1754or six months, so we may fairly infer that schooling the girls for six months was worth £ 4-13s. Brooks gives the date for first giving instruction to girls at public expense as 1776. Whether girlsthe Scoole House in the Place where it now stands. This the town refused to do and appointed Capt. Brooks, John Whitmore, Edward Oakes, Capt Hall, and Samuel Bradshaw to Consult and discover together
and dwelling where Lydia Maria Child passed her early life can testify to the loveliness of her surroundings —the garden of fruit trees, flowers and vegetables, with its clean walks of Pasture Hill gravel, and beyond, extending to Forest street, (then the turnpike), the field, making in all quite a farm. In those early days the fruits and products of the garden were shared with friends and neighbors. Mr. Francis purchased the property from Francis Burns, who was a brother-in-law of Gov. John Brooks, and father-in-law of Samuel Buel, the first postmaster of Medford.—editor. The Identity of the Cradock House. Vide Register, vol. I., no. 4, P. 119; also vol. II., no. 2, p. 53. In an earlier number of the Register there appeared an article Vide Register, vol. 1, No. 4, P. 138. throwing doubt on the location of the old Cradock House by utterly denying the claims of the old brick structure on Riverside avenue just below Spring street. Has sufficient weight been given to severa
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 7., An eighteenth century enterprise. (search)
Sullivan, afterward governor of Massachusetts, was the great enterprise of its time, the Middlesex Canal. So comprehensive was the idea of Judge Sullivan, that fully completed, it would have resulted in an inland waterway from Boston to Canada. Its charter was granted by the General Court, June 22, 1793, and immediately received the signature of the governor, John Hancock and the corporators organized by the choice of James Sullivan for President, and Col. Loammi Baldwin of Woburn and Gen. John Brooks of Medford as vice-presidents, while several other Medford men served its interests as directors. In these later years it has been rather facetiously remarked that in the case of railroads, ground is broken with much ceremony, and that afterward the stockholders are broken without ceremony. So in the case of the canal, Col. Baldwin removed (at Billerica) the first turf, when the work of excavation actually commenced nearly sixteen months after the granting of the charter, the interven
uildings and most of those trees have disappeared, and the grounds occupied by Mrs. Rowson's school (the most popular, perhaps, at that time in the country), are now in the possession of Mr. J. W. Tufts and the Episcopal Church. The apartment devoted to the Sunday-school of that church being almost upon the identical spot which the schoolroom formerly occupied. I quote again from her biographer a description of the location which one would hardly now recognize: the house, near that of Gov. John Brooks, is delightfully situated on the left or eastern bank of the Mystic river, which winds through meadows of the deepest green to meet the sea. Built on the acclivity rising gradually from the margin of the stream, and commanding a charming view of the distant spires of Boston and of Cambridge, it seems intended as the appropriate residence of the muses and the graces. The approach to it from the road which here runs through a beautiful grove is by a long avenue of lofty trees, whose bran
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8., The two hundred seventy-fifth anniversary. (search)
were held on Friday, June 16. It is to be regretted that no hall was large enough to accommodate audiences of children of larger growth, as the interesting programs were presented with great enthusiasm by the pupils. The exhibitions of manual work at the high school building were a revelation to those unacquainted with modern methods of education. Friday afternoon the Massachusetts Sons of the American Revolution dedicated a tablet placed on the Savings Bank building, in honor of Governor John Brooks. It bears the inscription:— on this site stood the house of born 1752 John Brooks died 1825 distinguished citizen, Physician, Patriot Captain and Major 1775-1776 lieutenant Colonel 1776-1783 in the American Revolution Brigadier General 1792-1796 United states Army Major General 1786-1796 Adjutant General 1813-1816 Massachusetts militia Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts 1816-1823 Honorary A. M., M. D., and Ll.D., Overseer Harvard College This tablet placed by the M
ooks was born in Medford in 1794. She went abroad, met many famous people, and achieved an international reputation for her poetry—Judith, Esther, and Other Poems, 1820; Zophiel, 1825; and an Ode to the Departed. Robert Southey was said to have given her the name Maria del Occidente, which she used as a nom de plume. She wrote a novel in 1843 called Idomen, supposed to have been autobiographical. Many believed her to have been the original of the Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins. Dr. John Brooks, one of Medford's most distinguished citizens, delivered an oration before the Society of the Cincinnati in 1787; a Eulogy on George Washington, 1800; Discourse Before the Humane Society, 1795; and a remarkable Farewell to the Militia of the Commonwealth in 1823, all of which are in print. Of his inaugural address, when governor of Massachusetts, President Monroe said, I am willing to take the principles of that speech as the basis of my administration. Among other early writers we
h husband, Hugh Tarbett, was a Loyalist, and decamped with the Tories in 1776. Charles Fitch rented his half to General John Brooks (afterwards and for seven years governor), who had taken up the practice of medicine in Medford after the Revoluti father's stable, where is now the vacant Magoun mansion. Another girl remembers her elders of the women telling how General Brooks requested Mrs. Brooks to have Indian corn cakes for breakfast, knowing his superior's especial liking therefor. InMrs. Brooks to have Indian corn cakes for breakfast, knowing his superior's especial liking therefor. In after years, when a Medford boy visited Governor Brooks, who took great pride in his garden and was taking the boy about it, the Governor told him with much pleasure of his illustrious visitor, remarking that it was their last interview. The houGovernor Brooks, who took great pride in his garden and was taking the boy about it, the Governor told him with much pleasure of his illustrious visitor, remarking that it was their last interview. The house had a succession of tenants till in 1810 Samuel Swan became its owner and occupant, dying at sea in 1823. His widow Margaret, commonly called Peggy, Swan, continued to reside there and rented a portion of the house until her passing away. Of
s settlement that an almshouse was provided, and then by the purchase of a house and three acres and a half of land, barely enough for a vegetable garden, as was said; and this house served for twenty years, till it became unsuitable. At the March meeting, in 1811, steps were taken to build a new one. The committee chosen to attend to this duty was a notable one. The chairman, Timothy Bigelow, was for many years Speaker of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. The others were Dr. John Brooks (afterward and for seven years governor); Abner Bartlett, Medford's noted lawyer; Jonathan Brooks and Isaac Brooks, the latter an efficient Overseer of the Poor. This committee reported their plan, which was to build a three-story brick building on the lane leading from the great road from Maiden, to Turner's ship-yard. This lane is now known as Cross street, and the acre and a half of land is the cemetery. The house was to be 36 × 44 feet in size, and with the land was to cost $4,00
1 2 3 4 5