hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 235 results in 48 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5
The recent dedication of the Bennett Delta recalls the memory of another distinguished soldier who lived at this spot: Ebenezer Francis was born here on December 22, 1743, and baptized on Christmas Day, the following Sunday, and here he lived to manhood, in a house then standing on the northerly side of High street, opposite the easterly end of the delta. This house was afterwards moved to Woburn street and is now standing back from the road on the property of the Oak Grove Cemetery. Brooks says of his early years that he was studious to gain knowledge, and succeeded beyond most others. He moved to Beverly and, in 1766, married Miss Judith Wood, by whom he had four daughters and one son. That son he named Ebenezer, and he became a prominent merchant of Boston. Colonel Francis had three brothers who became officers in the Revolutionary army and their records reflected credit to their native town. Ebenezer was commissioned Captain by the Continental Congress July 1, 1775;
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28., Medford and her Minute Men, April 19, 1775. (search)
x levied on Medford inhabitants was one of three pounds to provide for the payment of instructors in military tactics. It was John Brooks of Medford, later Dr. John Brooks of Reading, and later Governor Brooks of Massachusetts, who in the years previous to the Revolution drilled the Medford youths into a company of militia. Of Governor Brooks of Massachusetts, who in the years previous to the Revolution drilled the Medford youths into a company of militia. Of that company, in 1775, Isaac Hall was captain. The Minute Men of Medford, while Hancock and Adams were sleeping in Lexington on the evening of Tuesday, the eighteenth of April, had dispersed to their homes. But their flintlocks were within reach, for rumors were rife that action was at hand. Thus Medford waited for the day thal of the hills. Out of Concord about a mile is Merriam's corner, and here it is commonly said that Captain Hall's men fell in with the Reading company under Major John Brooks. Here the battle suspended at the North bridge was renewed, with fatalities on both sides. At this point American reinforcements came in, to the number of
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28., An early view of
Medford Square
. (search)
An early view of Medford Square. In Vol. XXVI, No. 1, under caption Views of Medford, we made special note of its illustrations in the histories by Brooks, also by Usher. In this issue we reproduce an earlier view given our Society by Mr. Edward T. Bigelow, as per this letter:— Plainville, Mass., October 7, 1924. Mr. E. T. Bigelow, 32 Forest St., Medford, Mass. Dear Mr. Bigelow:— Yours of the 4th inst. at hand. I am glad you were interested in the picture. I bought this picture from a man in Billerica. It was in with a lot of pictures of various kinds. The man who had these pictures is E. S. Hascom, and he lives in a little cottage on the Lowell Turnpike, about eight or ten miles north of Winchester. His present wife's former husband made the collection many years ago, and they found them among other antiques in their attic. He knew nothing about them as to where they came from. . . . I am glad to know it is of some interest to the Medford Historical Societ
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28.,
Medford Square
in the early days. (search)
This enactment was a little more verbose than Charlestown Village is called Wooburne or Sagust is called Linn, and is the nearest approach to incorporation Medford ever had as a town. But mind this: it was not Medford is a peculiar town as Mr. Brooks in his history says, but a peculiar. Our genial city clerk can show you that word peculiar used as a noun in the old record book, which I have myself read, and it is an exact copy of the colony or province record in the Massachusetts archives.often the Medford band played. After its purchase by General Lawrence, it was used by the city for some of its offices. Next was the reading room and a dwelling long ago removed and the big spreading horse chestnut tree, and the home of Governor Brooks. This latter was too large to remove as its purchaser intended, and it was demolished. There was Pasture hill lane, leading to the old Wade house, built in 1680, the Bradlee road of today. Then came the sociable row of five Hall family ho
ouse. Here the valley shows little change in three-quarters of a century. Passing over the brook and going up the hill, the great rock on Oborne rode is much in evidence; for old High street was the Oborne or Woburn road in the old time when Medford began to be a town. Indeed, the road had to find its way between two great rocks or ledges, one of which crowds it closely. On the lesser one stood the first meeting-house, and farther on the newer road to Mistick Weare turned to the left, at Brooks' corner, and keeps the name of High for its entire course. At this corner (which now has a marker, Jerome C. Judkins Square,) stands, beneath three tall sycamores, the house of Jonathan Brooks, an acconnt of which, written by its occupant, Mrs. Alfred Brooks, may be found in the Register, Vol. XV, p. 67. Across the street, at the corner of Hastings lane, is the much older but well preserved house of John Bradshaw, where the first church of Medford was gathered in February, 1712. Next beyo
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 30., The Brooks Estates in Medford from 1660 to 1927. (search)
hich he occupied. Caleb Brooks died in Medford in 1696. His real estate was divided between his two sons. Ebenezer, the eldest, and the grandfather of Governor John Brooks, received, as nearly as can be determined, that part lying south of High street including his father's house, part of the land on the east side of Grove st Count Rumford, and later became apprentice in Medford to Dr. Simon Tufts. He had settled down in Reading to practice medicine when the war intervened, and Captain John Brooks marched to Lexington, where he perhaps fought shoulder to shoulder with his relatives, Caleb and Edward and Thomas from Medford. He found the British alreaw acres of land on the west side of Grove street, was valued at £ 1036 s.13d.4 and his personal estate at £ 421 s.13d.2. We have, then, in the one family, Capt. John Brooks, Lieut. Caleb, Thomas and the Reverend Edward Brooks all leaving hot-foot for Lexington. The diary of a British officer, MacKenzie, recently published in fu
und him, deliberately dismounted and nailed a shoe on his horse. Private W. G. Berhard, by great presence of mind, by quickly inclining his head side-ways, saved his life, receiving a slight abrasion of the skin, on his neck, from a ball shot by a man, whom he instantly shot down. Sergeant Wm. Powell, Privates Willis Otey and James P. Lovell had their horses shot — Powell's dangerously. Sergeants Powell, Turner, and Wood, and Privates J. P. Turner, P. A. James, J. L. Dickerson, John Brooks, G. T. Mattox, Poindexter, and H. S. Wright, may be favorably noticed for their success in killing and capturing the enemy. It is due to Captain Rosser to state that this brilliant skirmish was won while he had command; and on two most important occasions, and in the thickest part of the fight, he was nearest to the enemy. At one time, far ahead of every one he was seen riding alone through the cornfield in pursuit of the armed fugitives. He captured an enemy mounted, and still hol
The Daily Dispatch: January 24, 1862., [Electronic resource], "Sawery" Bennett's opinion of old Abe. (search)
e that it was now ready to proceed to the election. The House then proceeded to ballot, with the following result. For Mr. Hunter--Messrs. J. T. Anderson, F. T. Anderson, Baker, Baskerville, Bass, Bayse, Blue, Booten, Bouldin, Bradford, Brooks, Buford, Burks, Carter, Cazenove, Cecil, Clark, H. N. Coleman, Collier, Crockett, Custis, Dabney, Daniel, J. D. Davis, R. L. Davis, Dunn, Edmunds, Eggleston, Evans, Fleming, Fletcher, Flood, Forbes, Franklin, Friend, Garrison, Gatewood, George, G, Taylor, Thomas, Thrash, Tomlin, Treadway, Tyler, Vermillien, Ward, West, J. L. Wilson, Samuel Wilson, Woodhouse, Woodson, Woolfolk, Wooten, Worsham, Wright, Wynett-- Total 105. For Mr. Preston--Messrs. Baker, Barbour, Baskervill, Bouldin, Brooks, Buford, Burks, Carter, Cazenove, Cecil, J. J. Coleman, M. N. Coleman, Crockett, Custis, Dabney, J. D. Davis, R. J. Davis, Eggleston, Evans, Fleming, Fletcher, Flood, Forbes, Friend, Garrison, Gilmer, Gordon, Huntt, Irby, Jones, Jordan, Kyle, Lun
1 2 3 4 5