hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 33. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 7 1 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 24. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 1 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 8 results in 2 document sections:

Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 24. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), chapter 1.43 (search)
otal rank and file,145 —-- Killed in battle,28 Wounded (sometimes twice and more),47 Died in service,20 —-- 95 Of the enlisted men of 1861-‘62, who went through the war, only five escaped unhurt, and two of these were detailed men. At the battle of Gaines' Mill and Frazier's Farm the company had thirty-nine out of forty-five killed and wounded. At the battle of Gettysburg, out of thirty-six, rank and file, eleven were killed and nineteen wounded. At Sailor's Creek Captain Archer Campbell—the fourth and last commander of the company—was killed in the act of surrendering. At Appomattox one lieutenant and several of the men who escaped at Sailor's Creek were included in the surrender. Colonel R. E. Withers, the first commander of the 18th Regiment, said of this company: A company which never failed in the hour of trial, and was always to be depended on. Colonel H. A. Carrington, successor to Colonel Withers, said of it: One of truest and most gallant compa
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 33. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones), The lost sword of Gen. Richard B. Garnett, who fell at Gettysburg, (from the Baltimore sun, of November 4, and December 3, 1905.) (search)
having also reached the enemy. The following correct story is told by Mr. James W. Clay, private in Company G, Capt. Archer Campbell, Eighteenth Virginia Infantry, of how Brig. General, Richard B. Garnett met his death at Gettysburg, on the after black felt hat with a silver cord. His sword hung at his side. After falling among the rocks I lost sight of him. Captain Campbell, retiring from the front with a broken arm, came to me. During the next 15 minutes the contending forces were engageth a huge gash in his right shoulder, evidently struck by a piece of shell. The horse in its mad flight jumped over Captain Campbell and me. General Garnett wore a uniform coat, almost new, with a general's star and wreath on the collar, and top the stump. I tied it up and marched on, firing 20 or more rounds, pulling the trigger with my second finger. As Captain Campbell, myself and the two Yankee soldiers moved to the rear, a heavy fire was kept up from the Federal lines. Near Willo