Your search returned 25 results in 10 document sections:

teer steamer Calhoun, of New Orleans.--New Orleans Picayune, May 17. Two yachts, belonging to private individuals, were formally accepted by the Government, and detailed for service by the Treasury Department. Their owners, James Gordon Bennett, jr., of New York, and T. P. Ives, of Providence, R. I., were commissioned as Lieutenants in the Revenue service, and ordered to their respective vessels as Lieutenants commanding.--N. Y. Tribune, May 16. Bisnop Whittingram, the head of the Episcopal Church in Maryland, addressed a circular to the several Episcopal clergymen of his diocese, forbidding hereafter the omission of the prayer for the President of the United States from the regular church service; which had been done by a few disunion persons under his jurisdiction.--(Doc. 169.) The town of Potosi, in Washington county, Mo., was taken possession of, under orders of Gen. Lyon, by Captain Coles, of company A, Fifth Regiment, of United States volunteers.--(Doc. 169 1/2.)
ugh the dense woods and swamps toward either flank of the enemy's position, without attracting his attention. A desperate attempt soon afterwards was made to turn the right flank of the central column of attack; and a very spirited encounter between parties from the Twenty-third and Twenty-seventh Massachusetts regiments and the Second Battalion of the Wise Legion, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Anderson, resulted in the utter repulse of the latter with heavy loss, including Captain Robert Coles, killed, and Capt. O. Jennings Wise, mortally wounded. During this engagement the two flanking columns approached the works. That on the right (General Parke's) passed the right of the central column, when the Ninth New Yorkers (Hawkins' Zouaves) were ordered to charge. Major Kimball headed the storming party, and with the peculiar cheer of the regiment, the men dashed forward. Almost at the same moment, General Reno, commanding the left column of attack, ordered the Fifty-fir
Morgan, Governor of the State.--The Union Defence Committee of New York met at noon and passed a series of resolution complimentary to the officers, soldiers and seamen of the United States, for their participation in the recent victories of the National arms.--N. Y. Evening Post, March 12. Winchester, Va., was occupied by the Union forces under the command of Gens. Hamilton and Williams. Company A, of the Wisconsin Third, Captain Bertrain, and a company from Connecticut, followed by Capt. Coles's company of Maryland, and a squadron of Michigan cavalry, were the first to enter the town. Two slight skirmishes occurred on the march. The troops encountered a strong fort one mile out, which was evacuated by Jackson last night. The people generally were intensely delighted, and hail the coming of the Union army as a harbinger of peace and future prosperity. The regiments, as they passed, were cheered and greeted from the houses with various tokens of welcome, which were responde
artment.--A fight took place at Aldie, Va., between the National cavalry under General Gregg, and the rebels under General J. E. B. Stuart.--(Doc. 74.) A body of rebel cavalry crossed the Potomac near the Point of Rocks, and moved upon that place, at which there was no force of defence, except Captain Means's irregular local cavalry. All these were captured, including the Captain himself. Simultaneously another body of the enemy, mounted, crossed the river higher up, and attacked Major Coles's cavalry at Catoctin Station, about seven or eight miles east of Harper's Ferry. About the same time a part of the enemy's cavalry charged upon a military train, and succeeded in its capture. It consisted of one first. class locomotive and about twenty-three cars, returning from Harper's Ferry to Baltimore, after having carried provisions to supply the garrison during the day. Fortunately this was the last train of a convoy of five, the others having just preceded it in safety, and
ommand of Lieut.-Col. Frank Anderson, (fillibustero,) resulted in the repulse of the Virginians, with the loss of Capt. O. Jennings Wise, mortally wounded, Captain Robert Coles, killed, and several officers slightly wounded. The engagement was now at the fiercest, the constant rattle of musketry, varied only when a volley was d-ninth Virginia volunteers,) under the command of Lieut. Col. Frank Anderson. One company was under the command of Capt. O. Jennings Wise, and another under Capt. Robert Coles. The officer who gave his name as Lieut. Pottier, was subsequently found to be Capt. Pottier of the Wise Legion. This corps mustered on the field about fiFort Hill, near Washington, until ordered to North-Carolina. His estimate of the forces on the Island was three thousand two hundred rebels. The body of Capt. Robert Coles, of the Second regiment, Wise Legion, was also found inside the stormed work. A bullet passed into his breast a little above his heart. His features were
hour and a half; subsequently, intervals of from fifteen to twenty minutes occurred between the shots. The enemy fired mainly heavy guns, from twelve to twenty-four pounders. Only four of the enemy's shells burst. Our boys did not seem to mind them much, but rather enjoyed the thing. One shot struck in the Ninth Massachusetts regiment, ricochetted and wounded two men of the Sixty-second Penn sylvania regiment. There were a good many narrow escapes. A piece of a shell knocked off Major Coles's cap, of the Fourth Michigan regiment. He made it the subject of a joke, and said it was the result of capillary attraction. A small ball from an exploded shell fell inside the shirt-collar of another of the Fourth Michigan men. He coolly took it out and put it in his pocket. One shell went through a series of erratic bounds. Passing over Weeden's battery, it struck the ground, gave a bound, went under Capt. Weeden's horse, gave another bound, struck the earth a third time, started a
Colonel Munford offered a preamble and series of resolutions in reference to the death of Captain Wise, which will appear hereafter. Note--The body of Capt. Wise duly arrived at the time indicated in the above notice. The remains of Captain Coles, of the Albemarle infantry, Killed in the same action, arrived at the same time. The hearses containing the bodies were placed side by side and. preceded by the Public Guard, Colonel Dimmock, and followed by the honorary and contributing memodies were placed side by side and. preceded by the Public Guard, Colonel Dimmock, and followed by the honorary and contributing members of the Blues and friends of the company, and a squad of cavalry belonging to the Wise Legion, the procession-moved slowly to the sound of pl intive music to the State House. Captain Wise's funeral will take place to-morrow (sunday) morning at 11 o'clock. The remains of Capt. Coles will no doubt be taken to Charlottesville, via Central railroad, this morning.
th him. On Tuesday, a flag of truce steamer went over to Roanoke Island, and returned to Norfolk on Thursday evening, bringing the bodies of Captains Wise and Coles, and Lieut. selden, accompanied by Dr. Cole, Surgeon of the Wise Legion, released on parole.-- Capt. W. died the morning after the fight. The bodies of Capt. Wise and Capt. Coles reached this city last evening, and were received at the depot with the respect due the memory of heroes who fall in a glorious sense. We have received from Lieut. R. S. Sanxay, of the Hines, who accompanied the remains of the officers to this city, a list of the killed and wounded in the Richmond and twois, (side,) privates Wm. Reskell, Frank Johnston, H. Adler, and Francis Gamble--such wounded in leg, not dangerously. Capt. Coles's Company. Killed--Capt. Robt. Coles. Wounded--Private Thomas, (neck,) private Bahup, (shoulder,) and three others, names for ascertained. M' Culloce Rangers. Killed--Private Dotso
The Daily Dispatch: August 25, 1862., [Electronic resource], From the Rappahannock lines.--the pursuit of the enemy--Pope Abandoning his wounded. (search)
lellan's army moved out from Harrison's Landing at 3 o'clock on the morning of Friday, the 15th inst., reached Barrett's Ferry at sundown the same day, and crossed the Chickahominy on a pontoon bridge, one-third of a mile long, and arrived at Newport News, Hampton and Fortress Monroe on Saturday. There was great rejoicing at the successful change of base — the army not having been annoyed by the firing of a single rebel gun.--The Herald says it stamps McClellan as a great General !. Robert Coles was arrested at Williamsburg for moulding bullets. Communication is established on the Nashville and Louisville railroad, the rivers being crossed in boats. A strong force is at Munfordville and Bowling Green. The guerrilla Morgan will be taken certain, in his next raid. Three thousand guerrillas, under Quantrell, attacked a large body of Missouri militia, near Lexington, on the 19th, killing three hundred and capturing the balance. Many arms, stores, &c., were taken. The Ya
operation of military rule, the peninsula has been pretty well cleared of the more valuable portion of the slave property — those who are left generally being either of ancient or very tender and juvenile age, neither of which are of much profit. Practical emancipation has taken place, and those who have not availed themselves of its benefits are of the class who are either too old, to young, or too shiftless to do so. This morning one of the rebel sympathizers of this place, named Robert Coles, was arrested by the order of the Provost Marshal, and at his residence was found a quantity of ammunition and some arms. It is stated that he was busily engaged yesterday in running bullets while our troops were passing through the town. The avowed purpose of these preparations was to stop the departure of the contrabands after the expected withdrawal of our forces. At an early hour this morning the march was resumed, and continued in an orderly manner until Yorktown was reached.