Your search returned 24 results in 9 document sections:

d overwhelm these bridge-builders with confusion, I shall think that all the world is mad; and that I and my people, with the few who have hitherto joined us, remain the only sober and rational part of this lower creation. May 4, 1801: Voted, that the selectmen, with Benj. Hall, Esq., and John Brooks, Esq., be a Committee to attend at the General Court on the first Tuesday of the next session, to prevent, if possible, the erection of another bridge across Mystic River. Nevertheless, Chelsea Bridge was built in 1804. The town directed the selectmen to petition the General Court to have the bridges over Mystic River widened; and that no one should be less than forty-six feet in width. March 12, 1713: John Clark & Co. petition for a bridge across Charles River. Many in Medford strenuously opposed it; and the wits had some playful ridicule of the project. The press, in 1714, has the following: One great thing proposed hath been the building of a bridge over Charles River, and th
Charles River; and to petition the General Court that the petition of Thomas Russell, Esq., and others be granted for building a bridge over Charles River where the ferry now is. June 12, 1786: Voted to petition the General Court to prevent the building of a bridge across Mystic River at Penny Ferry. It was thought that this bridge from Malden to Charlestown would almost ruin the navigation of Mystic River. For the same reason, the town voted, May 9, 1796, to oppose the building of Chelsea Bridge. 1795: A revision of the Constitution is proposed to the people. Medford gives fifty-three votes against it, and one for it. 1795: Voted £ 500 for town-expenses. 1797: Two thousand three hundred dollars for the same. March 7, 1796: Voted to pay assessors two dollars per day while making taxes. This is the first record of the kind. March 6, 1797: For the first time, the town voted to pay the town-clerk for his services; and they gave him twenty dollars. March 6, 1809: Vo
nfortunate institutions whose fate it has been to be often run upon, and on which the draughts have been so much greater than the deposits that it long ago became bankrupt; yet, like an honest tradesman, it has never despaired; and, within our memory, has made some good fat dividends. In 1770, the sludge from the distilleries was supposed to have poisoned these shell-fish. Lobsters have not frequented our river in great numbers; but, in 1854, they came up in large companies as far as Chelsea Bridge; and, in the warm month of October, more than two thousand, of prime quality, were taken from that bridge! The names of all the fishermen in Medford cannot be recovered; but, among them, there have been men of that great energy which secures success. The fish found their market chiefly in Boston; and were sometimes cured, and sent in barrels to the Southern States, as food for slaves, or to the West Indies for common consumption. Many were smoked, after the manner of herring, and
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 2., A business man of long ago. (search)
Dr. Swan House. Benjamin Hall was always interested in any improvement which would benefit his native town, and proportionately jealous of anything which would detract from it. He was an earnest remonstrant against building Maiden and Chelsea bridges. The construction of Charlestown bridge had previously damaged the river transportation which had been Medford's pride. The town was much excited over the project of a bridge at Penny Ferry (Malden), and harsh words were said about the Cf the chief advocates of this bridge. He always boasted that his chaise was the first to cross the bridge when it was open to travel. Major Swan subsequently left Charlestown and made Medford his permanent home. He died there in 1825. Chelsea bridge was built in 1801. The Selectmen of Medford, Benjamin Hall, and John Brooks Governor of Massachusetts. were a committee who vainly opposed it. Mr. Hall was zealous in prosecuting the building of Middlesex Canal, but was not in favor of
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The Bradburys of Medford and their ancestry. (search)
eel rails glistened along the marshes over which long trains of steam cars drew freight and passengers; no state road within a stone's throw of his front door circled the edge of the marshes just below, nor did automobiles with their goose like note rush by over this fine roadway; but he saw the great bridge over the Charles river completed and thrown open to travel with great rejoicing and festivity in 1786, the Malden bridge over the Mystic in 1787, the West Boston bridge in 1793, and Chelsea bridge over the Mystic in 1803. He saw that landmark that shows up so plainly against the sky from that part of our city rise in its solid strength with its great dome on Beacon Hill, but the granite shaft, its companion landmark, had not reared its towering height on Bunker Hill. He saw the rise of ship building in this town, the ships launched from the yards of Thatcher Magoun, Turner & Briggs, and Calvin Turner. He felt the mysterious touch nature experienced on the Dark Day, May 19, 1780
1 and 1802. In 1803 he sold the mill estate bought of Adams (except the lots leased and sold) to the Middlesex Canal proprietors. In 1801 a bridge was contemplated between Boston and East Boston, about where the tunnel now runs under the river. A shoal running out from the Boston side, it was the opinion of Lemuel Cox, who was consulted in the matter, that there was no doubt of the stability of a bridge properly erected at that place. This scheme was in the place of the projected Chelsea Bridge, and would save a distance of at least three-fourths of a mile on the route to Lynn, and the tolls of the Charlestown Bridge. The proposed Navy Yard at Charlestown killed the East Boston Bridge project. If it had been erected the Navy Yard would have been located lower down the river, and large ocean steamers would not now lie at the Charlestown docks. In 1803, at a town meeting of Nantucket, it was voted to petition Congress to assist the town in digging a channel from Brant Point
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 13., Stage-coach days in Medford. (search)
alem to Boston, in 1772 one from Marblehead, and an advertisement of the line from Newburyport may be seen in the Boston Gazelle, May 10, 1773. With what pleasure these coaches must have been watched as they came bowling along the Salem road, swinging through the market-place over the bridge, stopping at the Royal Oak, Blanchard's or the Admiral Vernon Tavern. Travel was interrupted by the Revolution, and when resumed at its close, gradually increased. The building of Malden and Chelsea bridges over the Mystic, and the joining of Charlestown and Boston by a bridge, gave an added impetus to travel, but turned some away from Medford. Schedules of the roads leading from Boston, giving the distances from town to town, and later the names and distances from each other of inns of established reputation, were printed in early almanacs and similar publications. After 1805 we find the stage-coach lines inserted in Thomas' Almanac, the times of arrival and departure, the place of
02. Thirty-two years more and the canal was to have a rival, and Lowell railroad bridge was built nearby, the Winthrop bridge in 1855, and the Usher bridge in 1857. In 1863 the Charlestown Water-works bridge, and in 1873 the Canal bridge on the old aqueduct piers, connected West Medford with Somerville territory, and another at Auburn street the same year. Meanwhile the Middlesex-avenue bridge, with a draw, had been erected, and in earlier years (down stream, and not in Medford bounds) Chelsea bridge and those of the Eastern, and Boston and Maine railroads. In recent years the Canal, Armory, Auburn street-Parkway, and Metropolitan pipe bridge, and just now the Boston Elevated to Everett, complete the list of fourteen now in use and two discontinued and removed. It had been our purpose to present views of all these, but conditions forbid. We can only refer our readers to the engineer's report (September 21, 1904) on the Improvement of Upper Mystic River for the twelve then existi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Old ships and Ship-building days of Medford. (search)
clipper Ship Golden Eagle, 1852 From some unknown source there comes to us the bill against a well known ship-builder who evidently had some difficulty at Chelsea bridge, in the passage of his Medford-built vessel. Joshua A.Foster Esq. 1862Owner of Ship TangereDr. To Salem Turnpike & Chelsea Bridge Co. Nov. 22.To ExpenseChelsea Bridge Co. Nov. 22.To Expenses incurred in repairing the Draw in Chelsea Bridge, embraced in the following Bills 1862Norton & Kendrick, Bill$42.50 1862Bisbee & Endicott, Bill24.20 1862Dows Bill25.00 1862V. D. Waters 4 days services20.00 1862Estimated cost splicing outer String piece$50.00 1862loss of Tolls 4 1/2 days109.72159.72 ———— $271.42 How tChelsea Bridge, embraced in the following Bills 1862Norton & Kendrick, Bill$42.50 1862Bisbee & Endicott, Bill24.20 1862Dows Bill25.00 1862V. D. Waters 4 days services20.00 1862Estimated cost splicing outer String piece$50.00 1862loss of Tolls 4 1/2 days109.72159.72 ———— $271.42 How the claim for damage was settled we cannot say, as the bill is not receipted. Evidently there was an interruption of