Your search returned 325 results in 27 document sections:

1 2 3
st railroad made in New England for public travel. Its cost was enormous, and its rails were all laid on granite blocks. These have been found to wear the Machinery of the locomotives and cars so rapidly as to induce a substitution of wooden sleepers. The longest freight-train, drawn by one engine, that has passed loaded over the road, numbered one hundred and sixty-three baggage cars. The Medford Branch Railroad was incorporated March 7, 1845; and the names of the petitioners are James O. Curtis, Henry L. Stearns, Jos. Manning, jun., Daniel Lawrence, Nath. H. Bishop, and Andrew Blanchard, jun. Jan. 22, 1845: The town passed the following: Resolved, as the sense of the people of Medford, that it is expedient that the prayer of the petitioners for a railroad to connect Medford with Boston be granted. By the act of incorporation, the capital stock shall not consist of more than one thousand shares at one hundred dollars each. The Act further stated, If the said railroad shall
ich we can insert, is that of 1850; and it is as follows:-- John Sparrell, Moderator. Jos. P. Hall, Town-clerk. James O. Curtis,Selectmen. Chas. Caldwell, Timothy Cotting, George W. Porter, Treasurer. Horatio A. Smith,Assessors. Samuel Joyish Committee. Amos Hemphill, Elbridge Teel, Henry H. Jacquith, Pound Keeper. John Sparrell,Surveyors of Lumber. Jas. O. Curtis, J. T. Foster, E. Stetson, J. Loring, S. Lapham, O. Joyce, J. Stetson, J. Taylor, P. Curtis, P. Cushing, E.. John Howe1829. John B. Fitch1830. John King1831. John Symmes, jun1832. Thomas R. Peck1834. Galen James1836. James O. Curtis1837. Galen James1838. Lewis Richardson1839. Thomas R. Peck1840. Alexander Gregg1841. Timothy Cotting1844. Alexander Gregg1845. Henry Withington1847. Peter C. Hall1849. James O. Curtis1850. Peter C. Hall1853. Benjamin H. Samson1855. Names of the treasurers. Stephen Willis1696. John Bradstreet1700. Samuel Wade1709. John Whitmore1714. Will
all1763. Benjamin Hall1770. Simon Tufts1772. Benjamin Hall1775. Thomas Brooks1776. T. Brooks, (under the Constitution)1780. Thomas Brooks1781. Aaron Hall1782. John Brooks1785. James Wyman1787. Thomas Brooks1788. Ebenezer Hall1789. Nathaniel Hall1800. Timothy Bigelow1808. Dudley Hall1813. Abner Bartlett1815. Turell Tufts1824. Thatcher Magoun1825. John B. Fitch1826. John Sparrell1831. Thomas R. Peck1833. Frederick A. Kendall1834. Timothy Cotting1834. John King1835. James O. Curtis1836. George W. Porter1837. Lewis Richardson1838. Leonard Bucknam1838. Alexander Gregg1840. Thatcher R. Raymond1843. Gorham Brooks1846. Joseph P. Hall1847. Thatcher R. Raymond1850. Joseph P. Hall1851. James M. Usher1852. Joseph P. Hall1853. Jonathan Oldham1854. Justices of the Peace in Medford. (from Massachusetts Records.) Thomas BrooksMar. 27, 1781. Benjamin HallMar. 27, 1781. Stephen Hall, 3dMar. 27, 1781. Edward BrooksMar. 27, 1781. Timothy FitchSept. 26,
cords the facts:-- When Built.location.building-Committee.master-workmen.cost. 1835.Primary, Union Street.Horatio A. Smith, Galen James, and Milton James.Caldwell & Wyatt.$1040.00. 1837.Primary, Park Street.Galen James, James W. Brooks, James O. Curtis, & Saml. Joyce.Oakman Joyce and John Sables.3454.64. 1840.High & Grammar, High Street.Oakman Joyce, D. Lawrence, and James O. Curtis.Charles Caldwell & Wm. B. Thomas.7568.77. 1851.Brooks, Brooks Street.John B. Hatch and James M. Usher.GeorJames O. Curtis.Charles Caldwell & Wm. B. Thomas.7568.77. 1851.Brooks, Brooks Street.John B. Hatch and James M. Usher.George A. Caldwell.2542.98. 1851.Primary, Salem Street.Geo. T. Goodwin, Henry Taylor, and M. E. Knox.J. J. Beaty and I. H. Bradlee.3375.41. 1852.Everett, Salem Street.Robert L. Ells, Samuel Joyce, and Henry Taylor.James Pierce.7166.57. The town proceeded immediately to the building of a new schoolhouse, on the spot where the Park-street house was burned. April 2, 1855, Messrs. Franklin Patch, Judah Loring, and Charles S. Jacobs were chosen a committee to produce a plan, publish proposals, a
GrayBoston551 267 ShipColomboJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisLombard & WhitmoreBoston578 268 ShipSwedenTurtisJames WilsonBoston140 349 ShipScotlandJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisFrench & CoffinNantucket367 3 PrattBoston687 366 BarkCeresJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisJ. A. McGaw & LincolnBoston387 367 ShipAlabincolnBoston400 369 BarkEdwinJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisWales & Co.Boston350 370 BarkHollanderT. Maiam LincolnBoston438 385 Sch.Joshua HamblenJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisThomas HopkinsChatham70 386 ShipHelen McGawJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisJ. A. McGawBoston590 387 ShipNiobeP. Curtis'sP. CurtisGeorgJ. P. MacyNantucket420 443 ShipJ. H. JarvisJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisSnow & RichBoston680 444 Shipatcher & SearsBoston1000 489 ShipEagle WingJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisTheo. ChaseBoston1200 490 ShipGeorge PeabodyJ. O. Curtis'sJ. O. CurtisW. F. Weld & Co.Boston1400 491 ShipDon QuixoteS. Lapham'sSJ. O. CurtisW. F. Weld & Co.Boston1400 491 ShipDon QuixoteS. Lapham'sS. LaphamJ. E. LodgeBoston1500 492 ShipSea FlowerJ. Stetson'sJ. StetsonB. C. WhiteBoston1061 493 Sh
. Chadwick, 509. Chairmen, Board of Selectmen, 126. Child, 315. Chubb, 509. Clark, 509. Cleaveland, 509. Clough, 509. Collins, 34, 36, 41, 42, 43, 93. Colman, 208, 221, 232, 304. Communion-plate, 265. Converse, 3, 36. Cooke, 36. Crackers, Medford, 388. Cradock family, 509, 510. Cradock, 2, 3, 14, 33, 39, 40, 41, 42, 44, 46, 47, 59, 83, 87, 88, 92, 410, 431, 480. Crimes and Punishments, 431. Crisp, 36, 43. Cummings, 510. Currency, 401. Curtis family, 511. Dady, 37, 44. Danforth, 36. Davidson, 37, 42, 59, 74. Daustin, 36. Deane, 36. Degrusha, 109. Dexter family, 510. Dexter, 36, 44, 139. Dill, 511. Diseases, 449. Distilleries, 390. Dix, 36. Dudley, 14, 30, 31, 33, 77. Edes, 511. Education, 275, 278. Eliot, 37, 511, 538, 562. Endecott, 30, 32, 83. Erving, 176, 570. Expenses, 117. Farwell, 511. Faulkner, 49. Felt, 36. Ferry, Penny, 6. Fillebrown family, 511.
ablished in 1803 by Thatcher Magoun; afterwards used by Curtis & Co., Paul & J. O. Curtis, F. Waterman & H. Ewell, and Hayden & Cudworth. 3. Yard on Riverside avenS. Lapham. 4. Yard off Swan street, site of present city stables. Here James O. Curtis commenced ship-building in 1839, and the yard was exclusively used by him ers9 John Sparrell1 Samuel Lapham20 Jotham Stetson32 Curtis & Co.2 P. & J. O. Curtis6 Waterman & Ewell51 Foster & Taylor22 Paul Curtis27 James O. Curtis78 GJames O. Curtis78 George H. Briggs1 Peter Lewis1 Henry Ewell9 John Taylor12 Joshua T. Foster42 Haydn & Cudworth39 B. F. Delano .2 Luther Turner.1 Isaac Hall1 — 568 decade.ship ever launched in Medford was the Ocean Express, of 2,000 tons, built by J. O. Curtis; and ships of more than 1,000 tons were built above, Cradock bridge. The Our secretary informs me that he was once present at a launch of one of James O. Curtis' ships. The vessel moved for a short distance and then stopped. A hawser
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., Some Unpublished School reports. (search)
will be farther advanced at eight, than those admitted at five. There are some two hundred scholars in the schools between four and eight years of age. Admit none under five, and you reduce that number about one quarter part, and will be able to accommodate the remainder for several years to come.— With these views, your Committee recommend as a matter of expediency to admit no scholars to the public schools, under five years of age.— Galen James, School Com. Samuel Gregg, School Com. James O. Curtis, School Com. Alexander Gregg, School Com. Martin Burridge, School Com. Medford, Nov. 7, 1840. Report of School Committee, accepted March 7, 1842. The School Committee report: That they have given earnest attention to their arduous trust. The experience of every month gives them a deeper sense of the importance of frequently visiting and carefully watching over the interests of the public schools. Accordingly they have not been sparing of time or labour. They have held re
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 4., First Universalist Society in Medford. (search)
nday, Jan. 19, 1834, and organized by choosing Messrs. Timothy Cotting and James O. Curtis deacons. It was publicly recognized Wednesday evening, January 29. Their care. At this time a committee was chosen, consisting of George Gay, James O. Curtis, and Mrs. Hepsibah Cotting, to draft a constitution and report at a subseq under the direction and assistance of the pastor. It is evident that Mr. James O. Curtis was the first superintendent, but there is no record to show how long heatter. List of names of the members, May, 1838. Elisha Stetson, Supt. James O. Curtis, Librarian. Mrs. Hebsibah Cotting, Asst. Supt. George Gay, Secretary. Rev. Hosea Ballou. Alanson Hadley. Miss D. Mansfield. Miss M. Keen. Mrs. James O. Curtis. Elbridge Teel. Benjamin Moor. Miss M. Wait. Miss E. Graves. Mrs. Jy. Mr. Stetson served as superintendent for one year. In June, 1839, Mr. James O. Curtis was again chosen superintendent, and was elected annually from that time
ed the Island, he afterward built and lived in the house next below Thatcher Magoun's (now Mrs. Reed's). In 1839 he moved to South street and in 1852 to East Boston. Mr. Curtis built twenty-seven vessels at Magoun's yard. In partnership with J. O. Curtis he built six, and continued building at East Boston. In all, his list of vessels reached a hundred. Waterman and Ewell succeeded Paul & J. O. Curtis at Magoun's yard. Mr. Foster Waterman was born in Barnstable, June 2, 1805. He entered tJ. O. Curtis at Magoun's yard. Mr. Foster Waterman was born in Barnstable, June 2, 1805. He entered the business of ship-carpenter, serving apprenticeship with the late Noah Brooks, of South Boston, from which place he came to Medford and lived in the house of Oakman Joyce. He formed a partnership with Mr. Henry Ewell. They built here fifty-one vessels. He died at Nantasket beach at his summer residence, July 22, 1870. His daughter is Mrs. R. H. Stearns, of Boston. His partner, Mr. Henry Ewell, born at Marshfield, Dec. 31, 1806, was apprenticed to Thatcher Magoun at the age of seventeen.
1 2 3