hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Admiral David D. Porter, The Naval History of the Civil War. 197 5 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 9. (ed. Frank Moore) 52 2 Browse Search
James Barnes, author of David G. Farragut, Naval Actions of 1812, Yank ee Ships and Yankee Sailors, Commodore Bainbridge , The Blockaders, and other naval and historical works, The Photographic History of The Civil War: in ten volumes, Thousands of Scenes Photographed 1861-65, with Text by many Special Authorities, Volume 6: The Navy. (ed. Francis Trevelyan Miller) 31 1 Browse Search
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865 31 1 Browse Search
Benson J. Lossing, Pictorial Field Book of the Civil War. Volume 3. 20 0 Browse Search
Southern Historical Society Papers, Volume 11. (ed. Reverend J. William Jones) 18 2 Browse Search
Oliver Otis Howard, Autobiography of Oliver Otis Howard, major general , United States army : volume 2 14 0 Browse Search
William Boynton, Sherman's Historical Raid 11 1 Browse Search
Robert Underwood Johnson, Clarence Clough Buell, Battles and Leaders of the Civil War: The Opening Battles. Volume 1. 9 1 Browse Search
Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events: Documents and Narratives, Volume 8. (ed. Frank Moore) 8 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865. You can also browse the collection for John A. Dahlgren or search for John A. Dahlgren in all documents.

Your search returned 16 results in 11 document sections:

1 2
force was a regiment of negroes and another of mulattoes. During the Revolution the British overran the island. On the next island to the south Lamar landed his last cargo of slaves from the Wanderer. St. Simon's had been fortified early in the Civil War; but in February, 1862, the armament was removed, and then the few remaining inhabitants went away. While the Fifty-fourth were enjoying the delights of St. Simon's, Brig.-Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore had relieved General Hunter. Admiral John A. Dahlgren was to replace Admiral Dupont. Tidings of these changes, of Lee having crossed the Rappahannock, the capture of Harper's Ferry, and the investment of Port Hudson, were received by the Harriet A. Weed, on June 23. Orders also came for the Fifty-fourth to report at Hilton Head. During the afternoon and evening of June 24, the regiment was taken in detachments on the Mayflower to the ocean steamer, Ben Deford, lying off Montgomery's camp, whence it sailed early the next day for Hi
s, loaded with troops, gunboats, and supply vessels, betokening an important movement made openly. General Gillmore's plans should be briefly stated. He desired to gain possession of Morris Island, then in the enemy's hands, and fortified. He had at disposal ten thousand infantry, three hundred and fifty artillerists, and six hundred engineers; thirty-six pieces of field artillery, thirty Parrott guns, twenty-seven siege and three Cohorn mortars, besides ample tools and material. Admiral Dahlgren was to co-operate. On Folly Island, in our possession, batteries were constructed near Lighthouse Inlet, opposite Morris Island, concealed by the sand hillocks and undergrowth. Gillmore's real attack was to be made from this point by a coup de main, the infantry crossing the inlet in boats covered by a bombardment from land and sea. Brig.-Gen. Alfred H. Terry, with four thousand men, was to make a demonstration on James Island. Col. T. W. Higginson, with part of his First South Caroli
avy were still beating down the walls of Sumter on the 23d, their shots sweeping through it. That day Colonel Rhett, the commander, and four other officers were there wounded. With Sumter in ruins, the breaching fire ceased that evening, and General Gillmore reported that he considered the fort no longer a fit work from which to use artillery. He then deemed his part of the work against Charleston accomplished, and expected that the navy would run past the batteries into the harbor. Admiral Dahlgren and the Navy Department thought otherwise, declining to risk the vessels in the attempt. Captain Partridge about August 23 applied for sick leave and shortly went north. In consequence Captain Emilio again became the senior officer and was at times in charge of the regiment until the middle of October. On the 23d the brigade was reviewed on the beach by General Gillmore, accompanied by General Terry. The latter complimented the Fifty-fourth on its appearance. That evening Captain
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. (search)
Chapter 7: bombardment of Charleston. Morris Island was ours; but no sooner had the enemy evacuated than Wagner, Gregg, and the intervening ground were daily subjected to a fire from the James and Sullivan's Island batteries. A heavy action on land and water occurred on the morning of September 8, occasioned by the grounding of the monitor Weehawken; and in the course of the day a magazine blew up in Moultrie, and the village of Moultrieville was set on fire by our shells. Admiral Dahlgren having demanded the surrender of Sumter, which was refused, a night assault was determined upon jointly by the army and navy; but differences arose regarding the command. When the time came, Gillmore's force was detained in shallow waters by the tide. Commander T. H. Stevens, with eighteen officers and some four hundred sailors and marines, embarked in thirty boats for the enterprise. The leaders landed at Sumter after midnight on the 9th. Major Elliott was prepared for and received the
that our point of attack would be unknown. But General Beauregard was aware of some movement, and notified General Gilmer at Savannah to prepare, and had troops ready to move over the railroads to the southward. He personally visited Savannah on January 16, returning to Charleston February 3. General Seymour, assigned to command the expedition, was to have a force of about seven thousand men. His transports were ordered to rendezvous at the mouth of the St. John's River, Florida. Admiral Dahlgren was to co-operate, with some naval vessels. It was most enjoyable voyaging down the coast. A few men were seasick, but soon recovered. The Maple Leaf arrived off the St. John's at 8.50 A. M. on the 7th, and the General Hunter at 9 A. M. Eleven steamers and smaller craft had arrived or were coming in; and as the transports passed one another, the troops cheered enthusiastically. There, too, the gunboats Ottawa and Norwich were found ready to escort the fleet. At about noon, the la
sioned by these departures of troops, probably to join Lee. General Gillmore, on May 1, formally relinquished command of the department to General Hatch. Admiral Dahlgren, who had been North, returned that day and records in his journal: Hatch says that Gillmore has taken off twenty thousand men, and leaves him no more than enough to hold on. On the 17th Dahlgren writes that Hatch had some fourteen thousand men remaining, which were barely sufficient for the defensive. No mails came to Morris Island for many days, while the steamers were all employed in transporting troops North. The infantry regiments went out in regular turn for grand guard, and the department. Hatch was considering a plan of moving up the Wando River in connection with the ironclads, and a foray at Murrell's Inlet and Georgetown. Admiral Dahlgren had convened another council of his chief officers when the project of attack on Sumter was again negatived. He was contenting himself with a sharp bombardm
Chapter 10: attack on James Island. Admiral Dahlgren on June 20 received a letter from the Navy Department, informing him that the enemy was preparing to attack his fleet, inside and outside, to facilitate the shipment of a large amount of cotton from Charleston. He conferred with General Foster, and it was arranged to engare his body, as the enemy was rapidly advancing with a company. Capt. Gustav Blau and his men of the Fifty-fourth New York relieved our force at 9 P. M. Admiral Dahlgren records that on the 4th, with General Foster, he reconnoitred the enemy's position from a point on John's Island across the Stono, right opposite Pringle, inof the enemy and so exhausting the garrison of Pringle as to require its relief. There was a conference that afternoon between Generals Foster and Hatch and Admiral Dahlgren, when it was decided that the enemy's force, in connection with their works, was too large to render further serious efforts profitable, and that General Hat
nth New York, Twenty-fifth Ohio, Thirtysecond, Thirty-fourth, and Thirty-fifth United States Colored Troops; Col. A. S. Hartwell's Second Brigade, of the Fifty-fourth and Fifty-fifth Massachusetts, Twenty-sixth and One Hundred and Second United States Colored Troops. Lieut.-Col. William Ames commanded the artillery, consisting of Batteries B and F, Third New York, and Battery A, Third Rhode Island. Capt. George P. Hurlbut, Fourth Massachusetts Cavalry, had a detachment of his regiment. Admiral Dahlgren formed a naval brigade of sailors and marines with some howitzers for duty ashore under Commander George H. Preble, and ordered the gunboats Pawnee, Mingoe, Pontiac, Sonoma, Winona, and Wissahickon to take part. Our regiment started on this expedition in light marching order, with Lieutenant-Colonel Hooper, commanding, Acting Major Pope, Surgeon Briggs, Assistant-Surgeon Radzinsky, Adjutant Howard, Quartermaster Ritchie; Company C, Captain Homans and Lieutenants Bridgham and Spear;
Emilio, Luis F., History of the Fifty-Fourth Regiment of Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , 1863-1865, Chapter 13: operations about Pocotaligo. (search)
e accessory, merely to take advantage of any let go. He did not wish the railroad broken until the latter part of the succeeding week. Should the enemy retire beyond the Edisto, then Foster was to cut the railroad on our side anywhere. Admiral Dahlgren should make demonstrations on February 1 and 2 in the Edisto and Stono, and the troops on Morris Island effect a lodgement, if possible, on James Island. Colonel Van Wyck's brigade, of Hatch's division, came to our vicinity on the 29th. maging the railroad. The Fifty-fourth was now divided up and stationed on picket at several points. General Gillmore had returned and relieved General Foster, whose old wound required attention. This change gave great dissatisfaction to Admiral Dahlgren, who disliked Gillmore, and he asked to be relieved. Our naval vessels were engaging the enemy's batteries in the Edisto. General Schimmelfennig on the 10th landed the Fifty-fifth Massachusetts, One Hundred and Forty-fourth New York, and T
s only the second payment of the enlisted men while in service. In Charleston the Masonic Lodge organized on Morris Island, of which First Sergeant Gray of Company C was the Master, met in the third story of a house just across from the Citadel. Sergeants Vogelsang, Alexander Johnson, and Hemmingway were among the members, who numbered some twentyfive or thirty. It is thought that the charter of this lodge was surrendered ultimately to Prince Hall Lodge of Boston, whence it came. Admiral Dahlgren departed for the North on the 17th, after taking leave of his squadron in orders. On the 18th an affray occurred on the Battery between a guard of the One Hundred and Twenty-seventh New York and some of the Thirty-fifth United States Colored Troops, when a few soldiers and civilians were wounded. A part of Jefferson Davis's and Beauregard's effects and correspondence brought into Jacksonville was turned over to Lieut. John W. Pollock, Assistant Provost-Marshal at Charleston, on the 2
1 2