Your search returned 37 results in 13 document sections:

1 2
Violent threats. --George W. Elam, a young man, appeared before the Mayor yesterday morning to answer the charge of threatening to assault, beat and kill Mary Davis. After hearing the evidence, George was required to give security to keep the peace and be of good behavior for the next twelve months, which he had not succeeded in doing when we left the Court-room.
Threatening. --Joseph Stockdale, arrested for threatening violence to Mary Davis, was before the Mayor and held to security to keep the peace.
[special Dispatch to the Richmond Dispatch.]another rumored proposition. Washington, Dec. 26. --It is stated on good authority, that Senator Seward, with Lincoln's authority, proposes to admit all the territory at once as States--all South of the Northern line of New Mexico to be slave States, and all North of that line to be free States. Senator Davis, of Miss., inclines favorably to this proposition; so it is said. Zed.
Police arrests, yesterday. --The following parties fell into the hands of the police yesterday, for the offences set opposite their names; John Wrenn, assaulting George Valentine; John Franklin, free negro, stealing $45 in bank notes from Isham Scott, and Jos. S. Martin, for personal violence to Mary Davis
ick and Pat O'Neal were examined and sent on to the Alderman's Hustings Court for the murder of Patrich Kelly and Wm. Downes. Francis Antoni. the party arrested under the name of "Frank," was discharged from complicity in the affair. The female witnesses, being mostly persons of abandoned character, were committed to appear, as they could not give security for so doing when wanted. Wm. H. Langford was discharged from the charge of "beating his wife." Sam Listy was dismissed from the charge of threatening violence to Mary Davis. The case of Hugh Bigely, for stealing a horse from Wm. Harris, valued at $260, was continued until the 27th inst. John Dolay, for assaulting H. H. Hutchinson, being unable to give bail, was sent to jail. Ann Edwards, charged with keeping a house of ill fame, was committed in default of surety for her good behavior. John Daley, arrested for breaking down the door of Mike Kearney's house, was sent to Gen. Winder, being a soldier.
Day of Fasting and Prayer. --All of the Ch es of the city were open on Friday, and divine service was performed in accordance with the recommendation contained in President Davis's proclamation. The stores were closed and no business was
sed — that if they did not, General Butler and staff would occupy it any how. We do not know what was the conclusion of the agent, but at 2 o'clock General Butler and staff, accompanied by H. M. Sammers, formerly of this city, but who, for some time past, resided on the Jackson Railroad, rode up to the hotel in carriages, accompanied by a guard. They went into the hotel and took possession. Meantime, an immense crowd of persons assembled around the hotel, and hurrahs for "Beauregard," "Davis," and "the South," and groaned for various parties who seemed obnoxious to them. A Federal officer left the hotel and processed to the Court-House; the chief rendezvous of the U. S. troops, and returned with a equal of soldiers, who formed a cordon around the hotel. Several arrests were made by Federal soldiers of citizens of the crowd for giving expression to their feelings. Among those was Mr. McDaniels Edwards, and old citizen, and proprietor of the large foundry on the levee. We
he arrest of all the parties found in the house. About 2 o'clock it was surrounded by the police and armed guard, and the inmates, male and female, marched off to the cage, as persons of evil name, fame, and reputation. The men gave the names of Wilson Williams, George Grase, Benedict Howard, John F. Peregey, Edward Lightfoot, John Harrison, and Frank Gillian. The women registered as A. E. Thomas, Mary Jones, Lissy Hodges, Maggie Clark, Lucretia Bywaters, (alias Sue Price,) Sarah Smith, Mary Davis, Emma Marsh, Nellie Porter, and Jenny Barnes. Early Sunday morning the cage being too crowded, most of the prisoners were sent to the city jail. The unfortunate man who was shot was known as Capt. J. O. Withmell, and hailed from Louisville, Ky. After being shot he was carried to his room at the Exchange Hotel, and Dr. Conway called in to attend him. The ball was found to have been received in the back, and was extracted from the surface of the abdomen, having passed through the body. Af
Didn't go to the window. Don't know who knocked.--Nellie called Mr. Hiltzhimer's name. Don't know any of those in the parlor. Don't know deceased. No gentleman was in witnesses' room that night.--Three men were in the house. Two went out. The one left was a captain. Lucretia Bywaters deposed: Had been sick. Was in my room asleep Had not been in the parlor for two weeks. Heard no pistol. Knew Mr. Hiltzhimer. He visits the house. Knew none of the parties who were with him. Mary Davis deposed: Went to bad at 11 o'clock. Heard the report of the pistol. Did not get up. Do not know what direction it was in. Did not know that a man was shot until next morning. Mary Jones deposed: Don't know anything about it. Went to bed at 11 o'clock. Heard no noise or knocking at the door. Did not look out. Had no curiosity. Heard no one making any observations. Have no recollection of having seen the deceased. Lizzie Hodges deposed, that she know nothing about the shooting.
e, was sent to jail. Mary alleged that Pot had beaten her without provocation. Wm. Padgett, a young white fellow, was arraigned for creating a disturbance, at the house of Elizabeth Hubbard, on Cary street — It appeared that he had knocked down a man named Tyson at Hubbard's, because the latter told one of Hubbard's boarders he was a trifling fellow and a "blast." Papert desired some of the women to be called as witnesses in his behalf, and accordingly Elizabeth Hubbard, Ross Kubler, Mary Davis, Ellen Blankinship and Mary Smith were brought into Court. Their testimony induced the Mayer to declare that they should be held to bail for keeping and frequenting a disorderly ace but he afterwards let them off on promise of amendment. Padgett, in reply to inquiries by the Mayor, said he came from Washington, D. C., and since his arrival here some months ago had done nothing for a support. He was required to give $500 to keep the peace, and falling was committed as a person of evil na
1 2