hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Col. J. J. Dickison, Confederate Military History, a library of Confederate States Military History: Volume 11.2, Florida (ed. Clement Anselm Evans) 3 1 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 3 results in 2 document sections:

llows: Gun-Corporal Craven Atkinson and Private M. B. Smith, killed; A. C. Mc-Cants struck by a fragment of shell and J. B. Lynn struck by a spent ball and B. Bishop wounded in hand, since returned to duty; J. D. Sauls and Wm. Bishop injured by gun carriage. I desire to commend specially for their coolness during the engagement Sergt. R. F. Phillips, Corporals J. R. Lewis and A. W. Mason, Privates James Lee, A. D. Cone, Thomas Neary, Dennis O'Connor, A. M. May, J. J. Smith and Brickle. Lieutenants Dyke and Gamble, chiefs of sections, and Lieut. J. N. Whitner, chief of the line caissons, rendered all the assistance in their power in handling the guns. First-Sergt. F. B. Papy was also active in the discharge of his duty. Two battery horses were killed and seven wounded. These accidents among the horses threw several teams into confusion, during which two limbers were badly injured. The trail of the 12-pounder howitzer was crushed during the action by the recoil of the gun, but firin
infantry and artillery marched across the country from Camp Milton through Georgia, by the most expeditious route to Savannah under the circumstances. On account of the removal of these troops from the State, the most vigorous preparations were made to so dispose of our forces that the middle and eastern portions of the State could be guarded and protected against raiding expeditions. Orders were issued to every department to be on guard and ready for every hostile demonstration. Lieut. C. B. Dyke was ordered to report at Camp Milton without delay with the section of Gamble's battery under his command, and Lieut. Mortimer Bates, with one section of artillery from Captain Dunham's battery, was ordered to report to Captain Dickison. Our forces at this crisis were scarcely sufficient for a vigorous defense against a large invading force, and the utmost caution and vigilance were required. Sections of Gamble's and Abell's batteries were held in middle Florida awaiting the attacks