hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman) 33 1 Browse Search
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 6 0 Browse Search
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 5 1 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 12. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 46 results in 15 document sections:

1 2
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Eliot, Charles William, 1834- (search)
Eliot, Charles William, 1834- Educator; born in Boston, Mass., March 20, 1834; graduated at Harvard University in 1853; was a tutor in mathematics at Harvard and a student in chemistry with Prof. Josiah P. Cooke, 1854-58; served as Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Chemistry, Lawrence Scientific School, Harvard, in 1858-63; when he went abroad, studied chemistry and investigated European educational methods. In 1865-69 he was Professor of Analytical Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and in 1869 became president of Harvard University. He is a Fellow of Charles William Eliot. the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the American Philosophical Society, etc. He has given many noteworthy addresses on educational and scientific subjects. He is the author of Manual of qualitative chemical analysis (with Prof. Francis H. Storer); Manual of Inorganic Chemistry (with the same); Five American contributions to civilization, and other essays; Educational reform, e
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Harvard University, (search)
. Rev. Henry Dunster1640 to 1654Forced to resign. Rev. Charles Chauncy1654 to 1672Died in office. Rev. Leonard Hoar1672 to 1675Obliged to resign. Uriah Oakes1675 to 1681Not formally in stalled untill 1680. Rev. John Rogers1682 to 1684Died in office. Rev. Increase Mather1685 to 1701 Rev. Samuel Willard1701 to 1707Vice-president untill his death. Rev. John Leverett1707 to 1724Died in office. Rev. Benj. Wadsworth1725 to 1737Died in office. Rev. Edward Holyoke1737 to 1769Died in office. Rev. Samuel Locke1770 to 1773 Resigned. Rev. Samuel Langdon1774 to 1780Died in office. Rev. Joseph Willard1781 to 1804Died in office Salary $1,400 a year. Rev. Samuel Webber1806 to 1810Died in office. Rev. John T. Kirkland1810 to 1828Resigned. Rev. Josiah Quincy1829 to 1845Wrote a history of the college upto 1840. Edward Everett1846 to 1849 Jared Sparks1849 to 1853 James Walker1853 to 1860 Cornelius C. Felton1860 to 1862Died in office. Thomas Hill1862 to 1868 Charles W. Eliot1869
rom the vicinity of Mount Auburn to East Cambridge. Along the west side of Brattle Square ran a small creek, which curved southwestward through marshes, inclosing Eliot and South streets, and emptying into Charles River near the site of College Wharf. This creek, deepened and widened into a canal, furnished access to the Town fro Harvard Square. Among its earliest productions were Peirce's New England Almanack, and the Bay Psalm Book, and there was afterward printed that monument of labor, Eliot's Indian Bible. The complaints of insufficient land led to extensive grants of territory, until from 1644 to 1655 Cambridge attained enormous dimensions, includen and red men were friendly. In 1644, these Mystic Indians voluntarily put themselves under the protection and jurisdiction of the English government at Boston. Eliot's first sermon to the Indians was preached in 1646 at Nonantum, south of Charles River, and at that time within the limits of Cambridge. More than 1000 Indians in
In 1882, a fine bronze statue of John Bridge, in Puritan costume, one of the most prominent of the early settlers of the town, selectman from 1635 to 1652, and representative for several terms in the General Court, and deacon of the First Church, was presented to the city by his descendant, Samuel J. Bridge, and erected in the northeasterly corner of the Common. It was dedicated November 28, after an interesting address by Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson and remarks by the mayor, President Eliot, and General Charles Devens. Each Memorial Day finds a large concourse assembled around the soldiers' monument with the members of the various posts of the Grand Army, to listen to eulogy and song, while the early flowers of spring are liberally strewed about it. As the throng passes from this interesting spot, the question is often asked: What is the history of these cannon that are grouped around the monument? These three huge war-dogs came into the possession of the city by a vot
e selected as architects. Ground was broken for the library on May 1, 1888, and on June 29, 1889, the keys of the building were transferred to the city government. The exercises of the dedication were held in the main hall-way of the building, and consisted of music; prayer by Rev. Alexander McKenzie, D. D.; presentation of deed of gift, by Francis J. Parker; acceptance of the same by the mayor, Hon. Henry H. Gilmore; remarks by Hon. S. L. Montague, president of the board of trustees, Charles W. Eliot, president of Harvard University, Samuel S. Green, librarian of the Worcester Public Library, and Thomas Wentworth Higginson. The building is of the Romanesque style of southern France, with exterior of Dedham stone, and dark sandstone trimmings. It has two divisions, one, partially fireproof, devoted to the convenience of the public, with waiting-hall, reading-room, reference library, and memorial and administrative rooms; the other division is for the storage of the books, and is
upon the one issue raised; (7) Hard work,—work as if one vote might decide the question. 9. Leaving now the resume which I have given of the most distinctive movement, in civic directions, which has marked our city from 1886 until this present, a few words require to be added about the relation of all this to the larger life of Cambridge. Let no man, then, suppose that there has been anything fanatical about this movement. It has been eminently rational, sane, and practical. When President Eliot, addressing an immense audience in Union Hall two or three years since, stated how radically in temperance theory he differed probably from most of those present, but proceeded to testify that he had for several years voted No, and was about to do so again, partly because a license policy could not, in the present temper of the city, be enforced, but more because the city had been educated up to the point where it could do without the saloon, he gave to our movement the highest praise,
lt of such endeavors; that parks will not wear out, that though bridges, public buildings, water-works, sewers, and pavements must be replaced, earth work, as President Eliot has well said, is the most permanent of all the works of men. They have known what breathing-space means to the people, to hard-working men, to weary motherd a few trees planted with little consideration of the whole effect, we are to have, under the wise direction of the noted landscape architects, Olmsted, Olmsted & Eliot, plots which shall be, for all, true retreats from the busy hum of city life. On Broadway Common this process of change may first be watched. Of this proposed improvement Olmsted, Olmsted & Eliot say: This small public ground contains two and six tenths acres. At the present time it is so cut up by cross-paths that its appearance is ruined. Neither is its present arrangement well adapted to serve the comfort of the women, children, and babies who frequent the place in summer. The plan
The Cambridge of eighteen hundred and ninety-six: a picture of the city and its industries fifty years after its incorporation (ed. Arthur Gilman), Harvard University in its relations to the city of Cambridge. (search)
Harvard University in its relations to the city of Cambridge. Charles William Eliot, Ll. D., President. The President and Fellows of Harvard College own at present (April, 1896) 82 364/1000 acres of land within the limits of the city of Cambridge, the total present area of the city, according to Paige, the historian of Cambridge, being about four and one-half square miles (2880 acres). The land now held by the President and Fellows has been acquired as a result of 107 separate negotiations, extending from 1638 to the present day. The following table shows the nature of these transactions; but in this table no account is made of transactions which did not relate to land now in possession of the university— 54separate purchases. 7separate re-purchases of land previously sold by the University. 8separate devises and gifts. 1gift or purchase (Bradish lot on Holyoke Street,—mode of acquisition uncertain). 25separate sales. 4separate sales of land, the whole or part of which w
d to pray. While there was irreverence sometimes, and though the Doctor was occasionally warned by a knocking on the pews if he prayed too long, yet the great body of the young men were reverent, and many of them entered devoutly into the service. Two things at least were impressive and affected the lives of the students, —the daily contact with the simple and pure character of Dr. Peabody and the hearty singing of the closing hymn. With the development of the elective system under President Eliot, the larger freedom in discipline and the greater maturity of the students, the old religious system gradually became discordant with the prevailing note of college life. Religious institutions are conservative. It was natural therefore that the proposition of a new method should make its way slowly into the confidence of the officers of the college and of the community. Formerly studies, recitations, and prayers had been considered as duties. Under the new regime, elective stud
services that they can render or not, without in any way interfering with their first obligations to the university. I am very truly yours, Arthur Gilman. President Eliot. The writer of the letter had a few weeks previously explained the plan to a member of the faculty, Professor James B. Greenough, because he was a neighbooman for instruction of the college grade. The favorable reception of the scheme by Professor Greenough was immediate and enthusiastic, and the permission of President Eliot was also given at once. The president called at my home the morning after the date of the letter, and expressed willingness that the experiment should be tried, for all felt that it was an experiment to graft the education of women upon the stock of a university nearly two centuries and a half of age. Mr. Eliot, like many others, thought it well worth effort. He was told that it was to be tried by a few ladies who were quite unorganized, so that if failure should be the result, Harvar
1 2