Browsing named entities in Lt.-Colonel Arthur J. Fremantle, Three Months in the Southern States. You can also browse the collection for Elliott or search for Elliott in all documents.

Your search returned 13 results in 2 document sections:

Lt.-Colonel Arthur J. Fremantle, Three Months in the Southern States, May, 1863. (search)
found that General Hardee was in company with General Polk and Bishop Elliott of Georgia, and also with Mr. Vallandigham. The latter (calledg a short time in the artillery, he had entered the church. Bishop Elliott, of Georgia, is a nice old man of venerable appearance and verya later period of the evening, they subsided into music. After Bishop Elliott had read prayers, I slept in the same room with General Hardee.r in his ambulance to Shelbyville, eight miles, in company with Bishop Elliott and Dr. Quintard. The road was abominable, and it was pouring present at a great open-air preaching at General Wood's camp. Bishop Elliott preached most admirably to a congregation composed of nearly 3,ble to exaggerate the respect paid by all ranks of this army to Bishop Elliott; and although most of the officers are Episcopalians, the majority of the soldiers are Methodists, Baptists, &c. Bishop Elliott afterwards explained to me that the reason most of the people had become diss
Lt.-Colonel Arthur J. Fremantle, Three Months in the Southern States, June, 1863. (search)
ved by General Hardee. The review being over, the troops were harangued by Bishop Elliott in an excellent address partly religious, partly patriotic. He was followe told me it was almost impossible for either side to stop the practice. Bishop Elliott, Dr. Quintard, and myself got back to General Polk's quarters at 6 P. M., whe Episcopal Church. The ceremony was performed in an impressive manner by Bishop Elliott, and the person baptized was no less than the commander-in-chief of the armthe Confederacy. I had intended to have left Shelbyville to-morrow with Bishop Elliott; but as I was informed that a reconnoissance in force was arranged for to-mpunity. The weather is now almost chilly. 3d June, 1863 (Wednesday). Bishop Elliott left for Savannah at 6 A. M., in a downpour of rain, which continued nearlyeople. At 2 P. M. I dined at the house of Mr. Carmichael, son-in-law to Bishop Elliott, who told me there were 2,000 volunteers in Augusta, regularly drilled and