hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 16. 6 0 Browse Search
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15. 2 0 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 8 results in 3 document sections:

Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The Society's work-papers and Addresses--Sixteenth year, 1911-1912. (search)
The Society's work-papers and Addresses--Sixteenth year, 1911-1912. October 16.—A Summer in Germany and Austria. Rosewell B. Lawrence. November 20.—The Attempted Rescue of Anthony Burns. George C. Tate. December 20.—Along the Banks of the Mystic in the Fifties. Elisha B. Curtis. January 15.—Annual Meeting. Short Addresses by Officers of the Bay State Historical League. February 19.—The Walnut Tree Hill Division of the Stinted Pasture. John H. Hooper. March 18. The Postmasters of Medford. Irving B. Farnum. April 15.—Laws and Courts of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Frank E. Bradbury of Dedham. May 20.—Libby Prison. Charles W. Libby. Manual Training in the Medford Schools. Joseph T. Whitney. With this issue the Register closes its fifteenth volume. We have tried to make it a distinctively Medford work of interest and value, and trust that our effort has not been altoge
Medford's postmasters. by Irving B. Farnum. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, March 18, 1912.] THE first post-office in Medford was established in 1797 and was on the site of the present City Hall. President John Adams appointed Samuel Buel as the first postmaster in September, 1797. Mr. Buel came to Medford from Somesbury, Conn., about 1796. In addition to serving as postmaster, he filled the position of town treasurer until 1798. William Rogers succeeded Mr. Buel on July 21, 1813, serving as postmaster for fifteen years, the office being continued in its original location. On May 17, 1828, Luther Angier was appointed postmaster, succeeding Mr. Rogers, and the office was removed to his drug store, in a building on Main street, at the rear end of Town Hall site. Mr. Angier later was in the coal business, building the first coal wharf in Medford. He later sold out the coal business to Joseph C. Chandler. On April 6, 1839, Samuel S. Green was appointed and se
As old residents say. Evidently Mr. Usher, from whose history of Medford Mr. Farnum secured data, omitted the name of Mr. Bixby,—— who must have succeeded Mr. Patch in the West Medford postal service. Mr. Bixby kept a small store, groceries mainly, in a one-story building on High street, nearly opposite the Whitmore elm, as early as 1857 and while the Mystic Hall Seminary was in operation near by. Several old residents are explicit in their testimony in relation to the office being k painted on both sides, was fastened to that corner of the building and projected toward the street. This was in plain sight of the railway cars and the remembrance of seeing it many times in the winter of 1865-6 and the absence of mention of this location by Mr. Farnum has led to our extended inquiry relative thereto. The most definite statements point to about 1861 as Mr. Bixby's incumbency. His appointment was probably caused by the change of administration and made by President Linc