does not speak truly when he says that Mr. Wright, in behalf of his Fells, naturally enough began to agitate and seek the assistance of thoseif they wished, by their own effort and generosity, to secure their Fells for themselves, and which, should they fail in so doing, would by imething almost human and wholly divine, and in no other part of his Fells had God blessed a spot with trees older and grander than in the Ravhis if they did not at least prove the saviours of their own little Fells brotherhood.
By 1882 he had obtained in his Forestry Law all the la series of yearly Forest Festivals, held in different parts of his Fells, that the able speaking which it was his care to procure might be s broadly beneficial Metropolitan idea, including as it did both his Fells and Blue Hills, would have made him supremely happy, and its carryiomain Club of 1884; and as Mr. Wright did not let the stones of his Fells cry out in vain, it is fitting, but it is not necessary.
To him th
ially appointed in behalf of a park or parks for Boston.
The paper he read was one which bears the name he had given his Fells, Mt. Andrew Park.
The outcome of the meeting which was held in December was the passage of a law in 1870 which allowed l in vulgar phrase, had cut her nose off to spite her face.
Mr. Wright, whose hope was for lungs,—large oxygen exhaling Fells and Blue Hills lungs,—wrote of this action April 26, 186: The well guarded park bill of last year, which submitted the who the purity of the air and the protection of water sources, it seemed all important to him that the entire 4,000 natural Fells acres should be taken at one time, and thus be under a wholly unitary control, and to this end his plan proposed to securpe, he determined those grand old saviors of mankind should perish only to save their brother trees, and his work for his Fells was redoubled.
He had already established Forest Festivals, which were held yearly and in different parts of the Fells,
the guv'nor's man in haste, And careless how they fed, His basket loaded with the cheese And quite forgot the bread. This fact so simple and so grand, To us they handed down; ‘cheese Rock’ they named that lovely hill, Those men of high renown. Some smaller men cut off the trees And then they named it ‘Bare’; And when the bushes wildly grew The spelled it ‘B-e-a-r.’ But nature still asserts her rights Against all vulgar spells, And cries aloud, “Restore the pines To these my favorite Fells. Mount Winthrop you may call this spot If you'll preserve the trees That canopied with winter's green The guv'nor's lunch of cheese!”
The Society's work-papers and addresses— fifteenth year, 1910-1911.
Its Motives, Methods and Goal.
Mr. John L. Sewell, Executive Secretary of Boston-1915.
November 21.—Days of the New England Primer.
Rev. Anson Titus of Somerville.
December 19.—Music in the Early Days of Medford.
Mrs. Elsie R. Perkin
ol in part of present Centre schoolhouse, a teaching staff of three, with occasional music teacher.
While Medford's population has increased seven times, the high school teachers are now twenty times and its graduates over thirteen times as many.
Then the two steam railroads gave good service to Boston, but there was no public conveyance within and to adjacent towns.
South Medford was mainly brickyards and trotting park, East Medford sparsely settled, and Wellington only a farm.
A swamp lay beyond Dudley street; the Fellsway unthought of.
No telephone then, no electric light or power, no library building, no parkways or Fells reservation.
But Medford had then two military companies, two brass bands, a big lumber yard, the old tide-mill, famous rum distillery, town hall,—also a low tax rate.
Automobiles, motor boats, movies and radio, heavy taxes—costly luxuries—are of today.
Let our Medford readers finish for themselves our contrasts and comments, here begu