Your search returned 9 results in 4 document sections:

iturgy of the Protestant Episcopal church was first used in public worship, in Medford, on Christmas Eve, A. D. 1847. About the same time, a hall was procured, and the services of a clergyman were engaged for a limited time, in the hope that it might be found expedient to form a parish. It soon became manifest that a sufficient number of persons were interested in the enterprise to justify this step, and a meeting was accordingly called ; and, on the 15th day of February, A. D. 1848, a parish was legally organized, under the name of Grace Church. In March following, the Rev. David Greene Haskins was chosen rector. In September, 1849, measures were taken for building a church. A convenient location was chosen, and a small but neat and beautiful edifice was erected, and, on the 11th of May, 1850, consecrated to the worship of God. Mr. Haskins retained the charge of the parish until February, 1852; when he resigned, and was succeeded by the Rev. Justin Field, the present rector.
arish64 Present number of communicants40 Whole number confirmed31 Whole number of baptisms60 Whole number of marriages10 Whole number of burials14 Mr. Haskins died in Cambridge May 11, 1896. He was succeeded in the rectorship by the Rev. Justin Field, who became rector on the fourteenth of September, 1852, and remained until December, 1859. During a portion of his ministry the parish was aided by an appropriation from the Diocesan Board of Missions. A vacancy in the rectorship existed for a year succeeding Mr. Field's resignation. The Rev. A. C. Patterson of Buffalo, New York, was invited, but circumstances prevented his assuming charge of the parish. The Rev. George Augustus Strong became rector in January, 1861, and remained until May, 1863. He was born in Norwich, Conn., in 1832. Mr. Strong writes: The larger part of my early life before entering Kenyon College, Ohio, in 1847, was spent in Cincinnati. The three years of my theological training in the Alexan
rett, who had kept the school he had attended—a circumstance he was fond of relating—and endeavored to have her recognize him without disclosing his identity. Not being able to do so, he asked her if she could recall the worst boy she had ever had in the school. Why, this is n't Horace Hall! and recognition immediately followed. He was married on November 16, 1853, to Miss Abbie Allen of Medford, daughter of Kingsley and Abigail Fuller (Smith) Allen, in Grace Church, by the rector, Rev. Justin Field, it being the first marriage solemnized by him after he assumed that position. Five children blessed this union, three of them being sons. At the age of twenty-one he went into the business of tea importer and dealer, with Robert B. Williams of Boston, under the firm name of Williams & Hall, a partnership which existed until after the death of his father, in 1868, when he retired from business, an action for which he frequently expressed regret. He died in Medford, December 28, 19
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 9., The Bradburys of Medford and their ancestry. (search)
e and Kate Walker of the same place. Charlotte married James G. Foster, who taught in the brick school back of the meeting-house (First Parish), July, 1838, to April, 1840. Ellen Blanchard; Helen Dudley, both little girls; Morgianna Bancroft; Miss Field; Carrie Stone, a relative of the Bradbury's, who married the father of Miss Field, and is living in Dorchester; Lydia M. Smith of Winchester, sister of the late Mrs. Nathan W. Wait of Medford; several young ladies from Cambridge, one of whom waMiss Field, and is living in Dorchester; Lydia M. Smith of Winchester, sister of the late Mrs. Nathan W. Wait of Medford; several young ladies from Cambridge, one of whom was the mother of our late Gov. William E. Russell; Mary Utley, and after the burning of the Ursuline Convent, August 1, 1834, her sister Abbie, who had been there, came here to school; Anna and Maria Wells, whose father, Charles Wells, was Mayor of Boston, 1832 and 1833; Miss Smith of Weston; Miss Parker of Boston; Harriet Bacon of Winchester; Pamelia Symmes; Susan Revere, and Susan Floyd, a relative of the family. Lydia Bishop, a pupil of Mrs. Rowson, was aunt of the Bishop children, who wer