Your search returned 102 results in 24 document sections:

1 2 3
can Review. Another of the Abolition editors was Rev. J. S. Lovejoy of Cambridgeport, of The Emancipator; while Rev. Thomas Whittemore of this town was editor of The Universalist Magazine and of The Trumpet. But the list of Cambridge men who have been prominently known as journalists and editors and writers for magazines strings out to a portentous length. Among many others there are Francis Ellingwood Abbott, Rev. Edward Abbott, Professor Charles F. Dunbar, Mr. Joseph Henry Allen, Francis Foxcroft, Professors Francis Bowen, Charles Eliot Norton, and Andrews Norton, Rev. William Ware, William Brewster, William D. Howells, Samuel H. Scudder, Horace E. Scudder, and Thomas Wentworth Higginson, who so gracefully links the younger and older generation of Cambridge writers. Yet with all this roll of Cambridge men famous in this sphere of work it remained for an obscure stranger to make the first venture in local journalism in our city. From 1842 until 1845 the residents of Old Cambr
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), The oldest road in Cambridge. (search)
and a single house on the north side marked Mr. Foxcroft's house. Francis Foxcroft belonged to anFrancis Foxcroft belonged to an old English family whose seat was at Leeds, in Yorkshire, near Kirkstall Abbey, whose magnificent r estate in Cambridge went to his daughter, Mrs. Foxcroft. In his description of his estate we haveor less, and is all fenced round about. Judge Foxcroft thus became a resident of Cambridge about t and Broadway no doubt belong to that day of Foxcroft grandeur. Would that we might still see the idge street, at a later day. The first Francis Foxcroft was Judge of Common Pleas from 1707 to 17ead. There are many mentions of the second Foxcroft in Paige's invaluable History of Cambridge. is probably what Mr. Holmes remembers. Judge Foxcroft the second had strongly requested his heir the preservation of the grove. The second Foxcroft, after giving up his public duties, seems to wo years and a half before his death:--I, Francis Foxcroft, of Cambridge in the County of Middlesex,
m, April 4, when one Mr. Winslow came from Virginia and brought a printed copy of the Prince of Orange's declaration. Upon his arrival, he was imprisoned by Justice Foxcroft and others, for bringing a traitorous and treasonable libel into the country, as the mittimus expressed it. Winslow offered two thousand pounds bail, but it , the Rev. Elders, almost throughout the whole country, are very much dissatisfied. Several of the late justices, viz., Thomas Graves Esq., N. Byfield Esq., Francis Foxcroft Esq., Son-in-law of Thomas Danforth. are much dissatisfied; also several of the present justices: and in particular, some of the Boston justices were resobenefit of the people. The closing scene is thus described by Judge Sewall in his Journal: 1699. Oct. 28. I visit Mr. Danforth who is very sick; his daughter Foxcroft tells me he is much troubled with the palsy. Was much indisposed the 22d instant, which was the beginning of his sickness; yet would go to meeting, which did hi
became the owner of all the upland and a large portion of the marsh in East Cambridge, which was confiscated by the State and sold to Andrew Cabot, of Salem, Nov. 24, 1779. Judge Lee had the northwesterly portion of the Phips' Farm, and Andrew Bordman had the southwesterly portion, extending from School Street to a point nine feet northerly from the intersection of the easterly lines of Windsor Street and Webster Avenue, and bounded south on the Jarvis estate, west on the Jarvis, Wyeth, and Foxcroft estates, and extending so far east as to include somewhat more than thirteen acres of marsh on the easterly side of North Canal. Such was the unimproved condition of the easterly and now most populous section of Cambridge, before West Boston Bridge was opened for public travel, Nov. 23, 1793. At that time, Rev. Dr. Holmes says: Memoir of Cambridgeport, appended to a sermon at the ordination of Rev. Thomas B. Gannett, Jan. 19, 1814. Below the seat of the late Chief Justice Dana, ther
the effect of opening the new Mount Auburn Street; this object was not accomplished until September, 1812, when that portion of Brattle Street was very properly laid out,—not by the town, however, but by the county, as a county road. What is now known as Cambridge Street was constructed in the interest of Mr. Craigie and his associates, the owners of Canal Bridge, almost the whole of East Cambridge, and a portion of Cambridgeport. In connection with William Winthrop and the heirs of Francis Foxcroft, they opened and graded the road from Canal Bridge to the Common, except about an eighth of a mile next eastward from Elm Street, where the land was owned by parties having an adverse interest. The owners were Henry Hill, Rufus Davenport, and Royal Makepeace, all largely interested in Cambridgeport lands. After other ineffectual efforts to have the road completed and established as a public highway, a petition was presented by Thomas H. Perkins and fifty-two others to the General Co
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register, Chapter 15: ecclesiastical History. (search)
this estate nearly half a century, having very much enlarged it by subsequent purchases, and at his death in 1699 bequeathed it to his daughter, the wife of Francis Foxcroft, Esq., whose descendants owned it more than a whole century afterwards. Among the disbursements up to 1645 (at which point there occurs a hiatus of more to the building of a new meeting-house, and in order thereunto, there was then chosen Capt. Andrew Belcher, Esq., Thomas Brattle, Esq., John Leverett, Esq., Col. Francis Foxcroft, Esq., Deacon Walter Hastings, Capt. Thomas Oliver, and Mr. William Russell, a committee to advise and consider of the model and charge of building said meses Richardson,8.12.0 Mr. Appleton,13.6.8 Ebenr. Bradish,14.10.0 Thomas Kidder,100.0 Jona. Hastings,20.0.0 Stephen Prentice,10.13.4 James Read,10.3.0 Fr. Foxcroft,18.13.4 Caleb Prentice,8.10.0 Saml. Hastings,11.15.0 Deacon Prentice,8.0.0 Eb. Wyeth,8.0.0 John Stratton,8.0.0 Seth Hastings,10.0.0 S. Thatcher,10.3.4 W
appeared; but other spacious edifices have been erected, so that, instead of the thirteen houses described in 1845 as having cost $32,646.67, besides individual subscriptions, or the sixteen houses, valued by the Committee on Finance in 1850 at $80,000, there are now in the city twenty-six school-houses, which have cost more than half a million dollars. The earliest record which I have found of the election of a School Committee is dated May 21, 1744, when it was Voted, That the Hon. Francis Foxcroft and Saml. Danforth, Esqs., Wm. Brattle, and Edmd. Trowbridge, Esqs., also the Hon. Jona. Remington, Esq., be a committee to inspect the Grammar School in this town, and to inquire (at such times as they shall think meet) what proficiency the youth and children make in their learning. Again, May 7, 1770, it was Voted, That a committee of nine persons be and hereby are fully empowered to chuse a Grammar Schoolmaster for said town,—the Hon. Judge Danforth, Judge Lee, Col. Oliver, Judge S
llors under the second Charter. Thomas Danforth, 1693-1699. John Leverett, 1706. Thomas Oliver, 1715. Died in office, October 31, or November 1, 1715. Spencer Phips, 1721-1723, 1725-1732. Jonathan Remington, 1730-1740. Francis Foxcroft, 1732-1757. Samuel Danforth, 1739-1774. William Brattle, 1755-1773. Negatived by the Governor in 1759. Edmund Trowbridge, 1764, 1765. John Winthrop, 1773, 1775, 1776. Francis Dana, 1776-1779. Mandamus Councillors, 1774.er, 1715, 1718-1721. Samuel Kidder, 1716, 1719-1721. Nath. Sparhawk, 1716-1724, 1726, 1727, 1730. Edmund Goffe, 1717, 1718. Samuel Bowman, 1722-1724, 1726, 1727, 1735-1743. John Bradish, 1725, 1729, 1730, 1732, 1735, 1736. Francis Foxcroft, Jr., 1725, 1728, 1734. Ephraim Frost, 1725, 1727, 1730, 1735. Nathaniel Bowman, 1726. Solomon Prentice [2d], 1728. Gershom Davis, 1728, 1729, 1731, 1732. John Cutter, 1728, 1736, 1741. William Brattle, 1729, 1731-1733, 1748-
663, d. 23 Aug. 1663; Elizabeth, b. 17 Feb 1664-5, m. Francis Foxcroft, 3 Oct. 1682, and d. 4 July 1721; Bethia, b. 21 June athan Hastings, the famous Steward and ardent patriot. Foxcroft, Francis, m,. Elizabeth, dau. of Dep. Gov. Danforth, 3 Oce government, for 20 Ap. 1689, it was ordered, that Mr. Francis Foxcroft be released from his present imprisonment, and be cone hand, and a mobbish plebian spirit, on the other. Judge Foxcroft occupied the paternal mansion, and in his will express chair and instantaneously expired, 2 July 1800, a. 53. Mr. Foxcroft was Justice of the Peace, and was Register of Deeds tenar its easterly angle, 30 Nov. 1715, which he sold to Francis Foxcroft and Thomas Foxcroft 30 Jan. 1727-8, and removed to Sus reputed among his contemporaries to be still older. Judge Foxcroft made a memorandum on the back of Mr. Rice's will,—Paul1702 the homestead, formerly of their grandfather, to Francis Foxcroft; it contained three acres, and was on the southeaster
on Phipps of Chs. July 1669, and Maj. Thomas Brown of Sudbury, 1 Mar. 1703-4, and was living as his widow in 1725; Samuel, b. Oct. 1652, grad. H. C. 1671, and d. unm. in England 22 Dec. 1676, of small-pox; Thomas, b. 16 Dec. 1654, d. young; Jonathan, b. 27 Feb. 1656-7, d. 20 Ap. 1657; Jonathan, b. 10 Feb. 1658-9, grad. H. C. 1679, d. unm. of consumption, 13 Nov. 1682; Joseph, b. 18 Sept. 1661, d. 2 Oct. 1663; Benjamin, b. 20 May 1663, d. 23 Aug. 1663; Elizabeth, b. 17 Feb 1664-5, m. Francis Foxcroft, 3 Oct. 1682, and d. 4 July 1721; Bethia, b. 21 June 1667, d. 21 Sept. 1668. Thomas the f. d. 5 Nov. 1699, a. 77; his w. Mary d. 26 Mr. 1697. Mr. Danforth inherited the homestead, which he sold in 1652, and removed to the northerly side of Kirkland Street near Oxford Street, where a number of elm trees recently marked the location of his house. Connected with his house he had about 120 acres of land, including nearly the whole lying between the estates of the late Dr. Holmes and Natha
1 2 3