Your search returned 71 results in 30 document sections:

1 2 3
Eliza Frances Andrews, The war-time journal of a Georgia girl, 1864-1865, chapter 3 (search)
table and his house is always full of people. Albert Bacon came in from Gum Pond and called in the afternoon, bringing letters, and the letters brought permission to remain in South-West Georgia as long as we please, the panic about Kilpatrick having died out. I would like to be at home now, if the journey were not such a hard one. Garnett and Mrs. Elzey are both there, and Mary Day is constantly expected. I have not seen Garnett for nearly three years. He has resigned his position on Gen. Gardiner's staff, and is going to take command of a battalion of galvanized Yankees, with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. I don't like the scheme. I have no faith in Yankees of any sort, especially these miserable turncoats that are ready to sell themselves to either side. There isn't gold enough in existence to galvanize one of them into a respectable Confederate. Jan. 27, Friday Mett and I were busy returning calls all the morning, and Mrs. Sims, always in a hurry, sent us up to dress
Eliza Frances Andrews, The war-time journal of a Georgia girl, 1864-1865, chapter 5 (search)
watching the antics of a squirrel up in the branches, when Gen. Elzey and Touch [name by which the general's son, Arnold, a lad of 14, was known among his friends] came to tell us that Garnett was wounded in the fight at Salisbury, N. C. Mr. Saile brought the news from Augusta, but could give no particulars except that his wound was not considered dangerous, and that his galvanized Yanks behaved badly, as anybody might have known they would. A little later the mail brought a letter from Gen. Gardiner, his commanding officer, entirely relieving our fears for his personal safety. He is a prisoner, but will soon be paroled. When I came in from church in the afternoon, I found Burton Harrison, Mr. Davis's private secretary, among our guests. He is said to be engaged to the Miss Constance Carey, of whom my old Montgomery acquaintance, that handsome Ed Carey, used to talk so much. He came in with Mrs. Davis, who is being entertained at Dr. Ficklen's. Nobody knows where the President i
ed gallantly forward and no bly accomplished the work assigned them. The First Maryland, which consisted of little more than a squadron, led by Lieutenant-Colonel Deems, charged first, but were met by fully a regiment of the enemy, posted behind the buildings and drawn up in the garden and orchard, and, after a spirited fight, were compelled to fall back. The First Pennsylvania, coming up, charged next. Col. Taylor, leading part of the regiment, struck the enemy in front, while Lieut.-Colonel Gardiner, with the balance, dashed on his flank next to the house, forcing him back at both points, cutting him off from the house, and gaining his rear, drove him from his cover into the open plain below, where he was again met by the First Maryland cavalry, which had rallied. Thus assailed on both sides, his force was completely scattered, a large number being killed, wounded or captured. The charge of the First New-Jersey on the battery in the rear of the house I led in person, aided by
ape, were exerted by General Cope and his brother officers, among whom was the Earl of Loudon, (afterward commander-in-chief in this country,) to regulate the disorder, but in vain. Neither the example nor the entreaty of the officers could animate the dastardly dragoons to the charge; the other body of dragoons joined in the flight; they opprobriously fled without wielding their swords, through the town of Preston. A portion of the infantry made a momentary resistance under the brave Colonel Gardiner, who, after the flight of the dragoons, dismounted and placed himself at the head of the foot, where he gloriously perished. Like the noble Lyon, the other day, in Missouri, seeing a detachment of infantry fighting without a leader, he exclaimed, These brave fellows will be cut to pieces for want of a commander, placed himself in their front, cheered them on, and was soon cut in two with a Highland scythe. Not above 170 of the royal infantry escaped, all the rest being killed or taken
ry, and J. S. Mosby, serving in the same regiment; privates Ashton, Brent, R. Herring, F. Herring, and F. Coleman, Co. E, Ninth Virginia cavalry. By command of General Lee, R. H. Chilton, A. A. G. Richmond Dispatch account. It being determined upon to penetrate the enemy's lines, and make a full and thorough reconnoissance of their position and strength, Gen. J. E. B. Stuart ordered the First, (Col. Fitz-Hugh Lee,) Ninth, (Col. F. H. Fitz-Hugh Lee,) and Fourth Virginia cavalry, (Lieut. Gardiner commanding,) to hold themselves in readiness. these regiments however, did not turn out more than half their usual strength, the Fourth not having more than four companies in the field. The Jeff Davis troop were also incorporated in the detail, as also two pieces of Stuart's flying artillery--a twelve-pound howitzer and a six-pound English rifle piece — the whole force not numbering more than one thousand four hundred men, if even the total reached that number. On Thursday, at dawn,
ounted infantry, Colonel Henry; the Independent battalion of Massachusetts cavalry, under Major Stevens; and the artillery, consisting of Captain Hamilton's, Captain Langdon's, and Captain Elder's batteries, as well as a section of the Third Rhode Island artillery. In all, the force amounted to about twenty cannon, four hundred cavalry, and four thousand five. hundred infantry. This was intended to operate against an enemy whose strength was reported to be thirteen thousand men, under General Gardiner, (or Gardner,) who was said to have recently arrived from Georgia in order to defend the pasture-yard and shambles of the Confederacy from the invasion of the Union army. On the morning of the twentieth, at about nine o'clock, the troops set out to find the enemy, moving in three lines, almost parallel to the road. It was intended to reach Lake City the following day, unless the enemy should dispute the way. The route was through the unvarying pine forests of the country, over immen
that every consideration should be disregarded which involved the loss of time in our operations, and the general systematic attacks upon the works of the enemy were executed at the earliest possible moment after the necessary preparations had been made. The siege lasted forty-five days, of which twenty-one days was incessant and constant fighting. It was conducted constantly with a view to the capture of the garrison, as well as the reduction of the post. When the proposition of General Gardiner to suspend hostilities with a view to consider terms of surrender was received, there were six thousand four hundred and eight officers and men on duty within the lines, two thousand five hundred in the rear of the besieging forces, and on the west bank of the river opposite Port Hudson, and twelve thousand men under Generals Greene and Taylor, between Port Hudson and Donaldsonville, who had, by establishing their batteries on the west bank of the river, effectually cut off our communic
its participation in the engagement by Lieutenant McKendree, commanding, is transmitted herewith. I am much indebted to my regimental officers, Captains Nadenbousch and Colston, acting field officers of the Second Virginia regiment; Lieutenant-Colonel Gardiner and Major Terry, Fourth Virginia regiment; Lieutenant-Colonel Williams and Captain Newton, Fifth Virginia regiment; Lieutenant-Colonel Edmondson and Major Shriver, Forty-seventh Virginia regiment, and Colonel Lee, Thirty-third Virginia regiment, for the exhibition of great gallantry, skill, and coolness in the discharge of their duties. Lieutenant-Colonel Gardiner, after having passed unhurt, and distinguished for his gallantry, through all the battles of the campaign, (Port Republic, Richmond, Cedar Mountain, Manassas, and Sharpsburg,) fell, at the head of his regiment, severely, if not fatally, wounded. To Adjutant C. S. Arnall, Fifth Virginia regiment, acting as my assistant adjutant-general, the highest praise is due f
; d. May 23, 1851. Georgianna I., b. Sept. 8, 1836. Winslow W., b. Oct. 2, 1840. William E., b. Mar. 19, 1845.-1Gardiner, b. Jan. 9, 1726.  2Elizabeth, b. Dec. 7, 1727.  3Mary, b. Apr. 25, 1734.  4Stephen, b. Aug. 5, 1736.  5Rebecca, b. ER Greenleaf m. Catharine Thompson, Jan 21, 1748, who died Apr. 8, 1768, aged 38. He died Nov 21, 1808, leaving--  1-13Gardiner, b. Aug. 20, 1748.  14Rebecca, b. Sept. 25, 1750; m. Benjamin Floyd, Apr. 30, 1770.  15Mary, b. Oct. 11, 1752; m. Samuharine, b. May 23, 1756; m. E. Thompson, May 21, 1778.  18Hannah, b. Mar. 3, 1758; m. Francis Tufts, June 12, 1785.  19Gardiner, b. July 14, 1765.  20Abigail, b. Apr. 1, 1768. 1 Hepzibah had, by Gardner Fifield,-- George G., b. Oct. 27, 182m. May 1, 1821.  29Harriet, b. Nov. 14, 1794; m. Henry Rogers. 1-13GARDINER Greenleaf, m. Lydia----, and had--  13-30Gardiner, b. May 5, 1789. 1-16Jonathan Greenleaf m. Joanna Manning, May 5, 1778, and had--  16-31Jonathan, b. Feb. 16, 17
James Barnes, author of David G. Farragut, Naval Actions of 1812, Yank ee Ships and Yankee Sailors, Commodore Bainbridge , The Blockaders, and other naval and historical works, The Photographic History of The Civil War: in ten volumes, Thousands of Scenes Photographed 1861-65, with Text by many Special Authorities, Volume 6: The Navy. (ed. Francis Trevelyan Miller), The birth of the ironclads (search)
uilt with the propelling machinery below the water-line, and embodied a number of Ericsson's inventions — among them a new method of managing guns. At the time Ericsson laid his plans for the Monitor before the Navy Department, there existed a strong prejudice against him throughout the bureaus because his name had been unjustly associated with the bursting of the Princeton's 12-inch gun, February 28, 1844, by which the Secretary of State, the Secretary of the Navy, Captain Kennon, and Colonel Gardiner were killed. The Naval Board nevertheless had the courage to recommend the Monitor, and this last great invention of Ericsson brought him immortal fame. Ie died in New York in 1889. His body was sent back to his native land on board the U. S. S. Baltimore as a mark of the navy's high esteem. vessel that was virtually an ironclad. She accomplished nothing but successfully running ashore, and was captured by the Spaniards, who regarded her as a curiosity. John Stevens, of Hoboken,
1 2 3