Your search returned 46 results in 17 document sections:

1 2
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8., Medford Amicable Singing Society. (search)
onstitution M. A. Singing society, with the names subscribed, and the following is a list of names who have had billets of invitation to Join the society by the unanimous vote of the said society, who have accepted the invitation as we the subscribers understand. Namely Benjamin Pratt, Jr. John Kimball Nathl Fessenden James W. Brooks John Phipps Mr. Fisk Galen James Thos. Floyd Levi Frost George Brown Noah Kimball Ladies. Miss Perkins Emaline Wyman Sally Baldwin Sally Gleason Esther W. Merrill Tryphena Tufts Nancy Clark Mariah Butterfield Esther Tufts Eliza Withington Almyra Turner S. Turner making in all forty nine 12Tenor 22Bass 15Trible — 49 To the selectmen of the Town of Medford Gentlemen— We the subscribers, a committee chosen from the within named M. A. S. society for the purpose of making a statement, of the intentions and situation of said society as well as a statement of the assistance they think they must have to enable them
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 8., Papers and addresses, 1904-5. (search)
Papers and addresses, 1904-5. October 17.—Opening Night. Vacation Experiences. Rev. H. C. DeLong. November 21.—The Taverns of Medford. Mr. John H. Hooper. December 19.—Genealogy-Heraldry. Mr. George S. Delano. January 16.—The Whitmores of Medford and Some of Their Descendants. Miss Alice C. Ayres. February 20.—Picturesque Medford. Illustrated. Mr. Will C. Eddy. March 20.—Captain Isaac Hall. Mr. Hall Gleason. April 17.—The Loyalists of Medford. Miss Grace L. Sargent. May 15.—A Tour in Mexico. Mr. G
Captain Isaac Hall. by Hall Gleason. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, March 20, 1905.] ISAAC Hall, son of Andrew and Abigail (Walker) Hall, was born at Medford, January 24, 1739, in the house now standing at the corner of High street and Bradlee road. His father died when he was eleven years of age, and he continued to live there with his mother, who took the estate as part of her dower. The estate is described as bounded southerly by the country road, westerly on Henry Fowle's land, easterly on land of Thomas Seacomb and Joseph Thompson. Thompson was a royalist at the time of the revolution and his estate was confiscated by the state and sold to Thomas Patten. The dower estate is also described in a later deed from Benjamin Hall, who acquired the property, to Ebenezer Hall, his brother, who bought of him the estate lately owned by Mrs. Thomas S. Harlow. In this deed the five foot passageway between the houses, as it now exists, is described. Isaac was em
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 10., Medford Historical Society. (search)
er. David H. Brown. Charles H. Loomis. Miss Annie E. Durgin. Moses W. Mann. Membership. Elisha B. Curtis, Chairman. Edward C. Ellis. Mrs. Ellen M. Gill. Charles R. Byram. Mrs. Julia W. Dalrymple. Papers and addresses. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. David H. Brown. Henry E. Scott. Charles H. Morss. Historic Sites. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Leonard J. Manning. Frederick H. Kidder. Francis A. Wait. Charles N. Jones. Hall Gleason. Genealogy. George S. Delano, Chairman. Rev. Clarence L. Eaton. Miss Eliza M. Gill. Miss Hetty F. Wait. Mrs. James E. Cleaves. Heraldry. Fred H. C. Woolley, Chairman. John Albree. William A. Thompson Charles B. Dunham. Orrin E. Hodsdon. Library and Collection. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln, Chairman. Wm. Cushing Wait. Miss Mary E. Sargent. Benjamin F. Fenton. Miss Ella A. Leighton. George S. Delano. Miss Eliza M. Gill. B. Frank Bullard. Henry Brooks.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., Story of Songs from the Medford Woods. (search)
uiet and thoughtful girl, it was not surprising that some of her thoughts should seek expression even at sixteen years, at which age this poem was written. The verses were read one day by a friend, Mrs. E. P. Marvin, the wife of the Orthodox minister in Medford, who asked the privilege of showing them to her husband. He also admired them, and after some persuasion Miss Smith allowed him to publish the poem anonymously in the Boston Recorder. This was in 1856. Later they were printed in Gleason's Monthly Companion, a magazine published during the years between 1850 and the ‘60s. As Carrie Smith was very retiring in nature, the poem appeared always without her signature. Other papers copied the verses, and the poem became almost a household friend. Some years after, the poem, greatly changed, appeared in the little volume named Child Life, edited by the poet, John G. Whittier. Friends immediately recognized it, however, as the thoughts of Carrie Smith, as she was familiarly
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., Something about Capt. Isaac Hall. (search)
later issue of the Register (Vol. VIII, page 100) appeared the address of Mr. Hall Gleason before the Historical Society prior to the erection of this memorial by th On page 100, Vol VIII, of the Historical Register, appears an article by Mr. Hall Gleason on Capt. Isaac Hall He is described as a son of Andrew and Abigaimislaid and forgotten and has but recently come to light. It conflicts with Mr. Gleason's statement in but one particular, that of the date of Captain Hall's death,f death November 24, 1789. The above work was shown us by Mrs. Annie (Hall) Gleason and is doubtless the basis of Mr. Hall Gleason's statement. By the courtesy, Mr. Hall Gleason's statement. By the courtesy, also, of Mrs. Gleason, we have examined the old family Bible in which are recorded the marriage of Andrew Hall and Abigail Walker, and the births and deaths of their Mrs. Gleason, we have examined the old family Bible in which are recorded the marriage of Andrew Hall and Abigail Walker, and the births and deaths of their large family. This Bible record is, Isaac Hall born January 24, 1739 died November 24, 1805. Just what reason Mr. Stimpson may have had for assigning the 13th as th
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24., Medford Historical Society. (search)
Willard Dalrymple. Julia W. Dalrymple. Charles T. Daly. Annie P. Danforth. Louise G. DeLong. Edward B. Dennison. Jessie M. Dinsmore. Henry B. Doland. Frederick H. Dole. Lucy E. Draper. Charles B. Dunham. Annie E. Durgin. John A. C. Emerson. Will C. Eddy. Wilton B. Fay. Wilson Fiske. George O. Foster. Blanche Foster. Viola D. Fuller. George S. T. Fuller. Ella J. Fuller. Frederick W. Fosdick. Eliza M. Gill. Adeline B. Gill. Frank S. Gilkey. Sidney Gleason. Hall Gleason. J. H. Googins, Mrs. T. P. Gooding, Mrs. Charles M. Green, Dr. J. N. Gunn. Charlotte B. Hallowell. Velma L. Hamlin. Catherine E. Harlow. Life Member. David R. Harvey. Samuel C. L. Haskell. George S. Hatch. Charles M. Hayden. Martha E. Hayes. John H. Hooper. E. V. Hooper. Elizabeth W. Howe. D. Webster Johnson. Philip A. Jerguson. Charles S. Jacobs, Mrs. Frances E. Jackson. George H. Lane. Carolyn R. Lawrence. Life Member. Rosewell B. Lawrence. Life Member.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24., The Indians of the Mystic valley and the litigation over their land. (search)
The Indians of the Mystic valley and the litigation over their land. Hall Gleason, following the research of the late Daniel A. Gleason. The renowned sachem of the Pawtuckets was Nanepashemit, who removed from Lynn in 1615, and took up his abode on Mystic river where he was killed in 1619. During his short and eventful residence in Medford his house was placed on Rock hill, where he could best watch canoes in the river. So says Medford's historian. Other histories show him as living in Medford not far from the river or from the pond and on the tops of hills. This eminent grand sachem was the father of Sagamore John of Mystic, Sagamore James of Lynn and Sagamore George of Salem. George finally became sachem of the Pawtuckets. Their chief enemies were the Tarratines on the Penobscot, who at harvest would come in their canoes and reap the fields in this neighborhood. One hundred of them attacked Sagamores John and James August 8, 1631, by night and wounded them and killed
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 25., Old ships and ship-building days of Medford. (search)
rovincetown, with the brig Hope. He was pursued and fired upon, but escaped to St. Lucia, where he sold the vessel and cargo of fish for twenty-five thousand dollars. He brought his Spanish doubloons home sewed into his clothing. Morison. Maritime History of Massachusetts. Jefferson signed the repeal of the embargo on his last day in office. Immediately there ensued a tremendous boom in shipping to Mediterranean, Russian and Oriental ports, which continued until the war of 1812. Hall Gleason. Medford journalism. Journalism in Medford dates back to the winter of 1857—nearly sixty-six years. Not that there were not editors, publishers and printers who had homes in Medford,—there were several of each in earlier days whose journalistic effort was confined to Boston, Cambridge and other places. Among these were Samuel Hall, Elizur Wright and James M. Usher; also Galen James and Rev. Elihu Marvin, whose efforts were with the religious press. Not until 1857 did ther
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 26., Old ships and ship-building days of Medford. (search)
or lack of evidence. Peter Conly. Early Northern Pacific Voyages. The British cruisers arrived before Fort Astoria with great expectations of booty, and great was their disappointment when they found their prize had slipped through their fingers by transfer to British subjects. Hunt, in the Pedlar, took on board a few Americans who had not joined the North West Co. and preferred a sea voyage to the overland trip and sailed for New York. He is said to have reached his destination after a tedious voyage. One event of the voyage was the brig's capture at San Luis Obispo by a Spanish vessel. The charge of smuggling could not be substantiated and she was released. The story told at the investigation was that she had entered San Luis because she mistook her captor for a Russian ship to which a part of her cargo was to be delivered. She had both American and Russian passports. The departure of the Pedlar forever closed the business of Astor on the Pacific. Hall Gleason.
1 2