hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 239 results in 90 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The Society's work. The published History of Medford is the work of Rev. Charles Brooks, 1855, reprinted with some omissions and little addition by Mr. Usher in 1885. Twenty years later (in the necessarily limited space of ninety pages allotted him by the publishing committee) Mr. Hooper covered the entire period of Medford's existence in a concise and interesting compilation of historic facts. These he combined with some results of his own research and illustrated it by maps. Ten years before this, however, the Historical Society was formed, one of its objects being to gather such facts relative to Medford history, near and remote, as were likely to be lost or forgotten. It has sought to do this by papers and addresses, many of which have appeared in the Register. During the past season they have been as follows:— October 21.—Distinguished Guests and Residents in Medford. Miss Eliza M. Gill. November 18.— The Roman Catholic Church in Medford. Mrs. Louise F. Hunt.<
and as the western section wanted more on July 5, the selectmen settled the matter by directing Captain Russell to fire with both guns at the center. The guns and equipment were housed somewhere temporarily until late in the year, when a building was erected for the town by William Stetson, at an expense of $600, upon the Swan lot, known as the Pit, where is now Governors Avenue. The company preferred this location to one on Union street, and the matter was left to the discretion of selectman Hooper, who foreseeing possible exigencies, there placed it, the highway men building the foundation therefor, thus securing a storage place beneath for some of their apparatus. It was a serviceable structure, and the selectmen reported that in the latter respect it would prove an entire success. A view of it may be found in the Medford Mercury. The company were given leave to finish a room in its second story at its own expense. This was fitted up as a gymnasium, for the men were well dril
ed the farm owned by Mr. Dudley Hall), and expressed a wish that some one would write up the house. I do not think that much more can be said regarding the house than has already been said in the paper above referred to, but a few facts may be stated in regard to the farm that may be of interest. Under date of November 21, 172, a portion of the estate of Capt. Peter Tufts, who owned and occupied the so-called Cradock house, was set off to Dr. Simon Tufts, one of his sons, and was bounded on the Malden road (Salem street) about sixty-five rods, the line extending from near Park street to Spring street. No mention is made of any building on the estate. After the death of Dr. Tufts there was set off to his widow, Abigail Tufts, as a part of her dower, forty-eight acres of land, with house and barn. This house is identical with the Otis house, and was built subsequent to the year 1721, probably within a few years after the farm came into the possession of Dr. Tufts. —John H. Hooper
many changes during its existence, but the original portion must have been built by Jonathan Nutting soon after the land came into his possession. The highway on the northerly boundary was the way to John Albree's farm and mill. In the year 1720 John Albree purchased of Percival Hall the following described estate, Thirty-two acres of land with house and other buildings bounded westerly on land formerly of Deacon John Willis; north on woodland laid out to Major Jonathan Wade's heirs; east on land of John Bradshaw; south on land of Ebenezer Nutting, excepting one-fourth of Mill. This estate comprises a considerable portion of the Lawrence farm being that portion upon which the farmhouse and other buildings connected therewith are located. Marble, or Meeting-house brook runs through the southerly portion of the estate, and the mill of John Albree, weaver, must have been located upon this brook near the location of North Winthrop street (formerly Purchase street). —John H. Hooper
yrus Cutter, and the land was described as follows: One acre of marshland, bounded southwest on Mystic river, southeast on James Cutter, northeast on Deacon John Larkin, together with all the mill privileges if there be any belonging to the said parcel of land on the north side of the river. It is on the westerly end of this land that the remains of the old mill were found. Mr. Robbins called his meadow Bunker's meadow. Why it was so designated is a mystery, as no person by the name of Bunker ever owned the land. The meadow land known as Bunker's Meadow was on the south side of the river, bounded east on Alewife brook and north on Mystic river. The name of Deacon John Larkin (formerly of Charlestown) puts one in mind of the horse ridden by Paul Revere in his famous ride to Lexington on the morning of April 19, 1775. He rode Deacon Larkin's horse. These meadow lands on the north side of the river in Medford are now included in the Metropolitan Park System. John H. Hooper.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., An old-time Public and private School teacher of Medford, Massachusetts. (search)
An old-time Public and private School teacher of Medford, Massachusetts. by John H. Hooper. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, January 18, 1915.] AARON Kimball Hathaway, born in Grafton, Mass., December 21, 1809. Married August 29, 1836, Mary Ann Hale, daughter of Deacon Daniel Hale of Byfield Parish (now South Byfield), Newbury, Mass. He was fitted for college at Dummer Academy, South Byfield, and entered Dartmouth College, where he remained one year, then went to Amherst College and graduated in the year 1836. He became principal of Warren Academy in Woburn, Mass., and remained there until the year 1842, when he went to North Carolina for his health, where he remained about one year. On his return he came to Medford and taught the West Grammar School, then located in the old brick schoolhouse on the rear of the Unitarian Church lot on High street. (The high school was also in the same building.) His connection with this school commenced in August, 1843, and termi
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., Pine and Pasture Hills and the part they have Contributed to the development of Medford. (search)
N-by the crest, [i.e., of the hill]. Wanted, II. A history of the Medford industry in dark granite and red gravel. The papers received contain a series of queries, raised by a careful reading and review of The Ford at Mistick, by J. H. Hooper, Vol. IV, p. 1, register. One paragraph of the papers sent, is:— Medford was a spectacle town. A very high, bulky and red nose stuck up between the glasses. Later this was about the best part of Medford, but neither streets nor lots yequare to Brooks' corner was known as the road to Woburn, until it received its present name. That portion of the street from Brooks' corner to the Arlington line was called by several names: the way to the wears, the highway from Brooks' corner to the wears, the road to Menotomy, and the road to West Cambridge. Woburn road was extensively travelled after the construction of Cradock bridge, it being the most direct route from the northern settlements to Charlestown and Boston. —John H. Hooper
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., The Tufts family residences. (search)
Brooks' history, and all are repetition to a greater or less extent thereof, save those of Mr. Cushing, Judge Wait and Mr. Hooper in Vol. I, No. 4, and Vol. VII, No. 2, of the register, the proofs submitted before alluded to. And so we answer our House (Wellington) unto Charlestown Commons and Meadford House. In the register article, Wellington was supplied by Mr. Hooper to locate the mansion referred to in that deed, which is the old Blanchard-Bradbury-Wellington house still standing. But the writer in the Globe misrepresented the matter by saying— The word Wellington is inserted by Mr. Hooper to show that the old brick house in Wellington was recognized as early as 1657 at least as the Cradock mansion above all others. Today however Mr. Hooper has forsaken the old idea entirely and bows down before the Cushing theory. Possibly it might surprise the Globe writer were he to be told that the Mansion House was not of brick, was not the so-called Cradock mansion, Medfo
first two query subjects were thus portrayed in pageant by various actors. If this is correct, by all means let it be added to existing history, which heretofore has been silent thereabout. It is a source of gratification that the Royall house has been preserved, and this because of the wide-spread interest taken in the matter by members of historical and patriotic societies. The old house guards its secrets well, but no one has done better in truthfully seeking its evolution than has Mr. Hooper, See register, Vol. III, p. 137. former president of the Medford Historical Society. Four years since a poem read within its walls found place in the register. It contained one line savoring strongly of poetic license: The bricks shall be brought from over the sea to which the editorial dissent was then made in a foreword. And now comes the House Beautiful, August, 1915, with superb illustrations of the house and pageant, and extended description of the former. We cannot quite
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 18., The Society's meetings, season 1914-1915. (search)
to the Hawaiian Islands. Mr. Lawrence's interesting story was made the more vivid by numerous views, most of which were secured by his own camera and shown by Mr. Brayton. On December 21 another of our members, Mrs. Augusta Brigham, favored us with her story of Ten Soldier Brothers in the Revolution, an uncommon occurrence, and the story most interestingly told. At the January, or annual, meeting the reports were made and election of officers took place, prior to which former president John H. Hooper read the highly interesting account of A. K. Hathaway, An Old Medford Schoolmaster, who was known to the older members of the society. The speaker on February 15 was Mr. George G. Wolkins of the Old South Historical Association, and his subject The Old South Meeting-house. The speaker dealt with the earlier history of the church more particularly; also at less extent, with the meetinghouse, and the means by which it has been preserved. The same was replete with interest, and a
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9