Your search returned 30 results in 8 document sections:

am for the Republican party and its worthy nominees; and that with the eagle and the mules he was sure his canvass would not be in vain. For six weeks we travelled from place to place, being at last obliged to take the train, and send the mules home, as we went farther North and the distance increased. The farther North we went the greater the crowds and the wilder the excitement, convincing General Logan long before the election that Illinois could safely be counted for Lincoln and Johnson. Pathos and comedy followed each other in such quick succession during that memorable trip that we were constantly vibrating between tears and laughter over the grave and comic scenes we witnessed. We tried to be cheerful and to think that the worst of the war was over, but when the hour came for General Logan to return to the army it was with many forebodings that we bade him good-by. He was ordered to report to General Grant at City Point, Virginia, as before mentioned. I was ad
of cool heads soon regained the mastery, and order was maintained. In the country the people were overwhelmed with grief, and with folded hands presented sad pictures of despair, the strongest not ashamed of their tears. They even suspected Mr. Johnson, who was born on Southern soil. Their faith was only firm in the army and its great commanders. General Grant could have made himself dictator had his ambition prompted him to such daring. His timely support of Johnson and his assurance thaJohnson and his assurance that the will of the President should be obeyed by the army did much toward quieting the excitement. In the mean time the army was gradually nearing the capital for the grand review and disbandment. Every day after the assassination of President Lincoln the news which came to the army was of a succession of disasters to the Confederacy and its faithful adherents, till the last armed foe had to surrender. Even those remote from the armies were eager to hear of the final capitulation. Feeling
Logan elected commander-in Chief Subsidiary societies disaffection of President Johnson transfer of Booth's remains to Baltimore Johnson's attempt to remove StJohnson's attempt to remove Stanton impeachment of the President Logan one of the House Managers social Washington during the winter, 1867-8 Dickens's readings reception at the Grants' elecons or awkward coupling of guests. The grandchildren of President Johnson, Frank Johnson, Andrew Stover, Sallie and Lillie Stover, were all very attractive. Mrs. Ssion. The hours were from six to eleven. It was nearly seven o'clock when Frank Johnson and Sally Stover headed the procession, keeping time to the lovely music. ghter rang out above the strains of delightful music. At the proper time President Johnson, surrounded by fairy queens, led the way to the state dining-room, where ration of General Grant and Schuyler Colfax as President and Vice-President. Mr. Johnson, his family, and cabinet longed to be released from the continual bickerings
. Fifty-Ninth Virginia.--Lieut. Walker, slight, in the leg; George Collin, severe, in elbow; Thos. Robbins, company B, severe, in knee; William David, severe, in thigh and abdomen; John Ray, flesh wound, in hand; Lieut. Edgar Miller, slight, in shoulder; John Lawson, in arm; James A. Snell, in arm; Dennis Cussick, finger shot off; John Smith, severe, left eye; William E. Quigley, in head; Lieut. Isadore Potier, in leg. Forty-Sixth Virginia.--Frank Gamble, company A, wounded in leg; Frank Johnson, company A, wounded in leg; Henry Adler, severe fracture, thigh; G. W. Jarvis, flesh wound, in foot; Lieut. Frederick Carter, slight wound, arm; William Nute, slight, in leg; Robert Thomas, company I, slight, in neck; Charles H. Thompson, slight, head; Benjamin Burgess, right knee; David Bishop, right shoulder, with fracture. Thirty-First North-Carolina.--J. W. Wards-worth, in lungs, probably mortal; William H. Werner, right arm. Eighth North-Carolina.--Corporal J. H. Anderson, fin
was taken at Watkin's Park, Nashville, in the latter part of May, 1861, just after the battery was mustered in. The cannon for this battery were cast at Brennon's Foundry, at Nashville, and consisted of four 6-pounder smooth-bore guns, and two 12-pounder howitzers. During the first year of the war the battery took part in several engagements and two notable battles — Mill Springs, or Fishing Creek, and Shiloh. The officers here shown from left to right, starting with the upper row are: Frank Johnson, George W. Trabui, Jack B. Long, James C. Wheeler, E. T. Falconet, A. M. Rutledge, Joe E. Harris, George E. Purvis, J. P. Humphrey, J. Griffith, and M. S. Cockrill. Three of the officers in this picture — Falconet, Rutledge, and Cockrill — were promoted. Captain Rutledge was promoted to be major of artillery and assigned to duty on the staff of General Leonidas Polk. First-Lieutenant Falconet became a captain in the cavalry service, and Second-Lieutenant Cockrill was appointed first-lie<
against his nonpaying tenants in a lawful manner, and held him to bail to keep the peace, especially as to the complainant, in the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars. The surety was immediately forthcoming, and Mr. Phealan was discharged.--Frank Johnson, Michael Burke, John Dunnavant, and John Strahan, were arraigned upon the charge of having, between ten and eleven o'clock Friday night, broken the door and windows of the dwelling-house of Susan Barker, and beaten Sydnor Alexander, besides hamination of them by the parties implicated, all of whom protested that they had gone into the house as peace makers, having heard much commotion therein, and two of whom appeared to be less guilty than their comrades, the Alderman discharged Frank Johnson and Michael Burke with a word of admonition, and committed John Dunnavant and John Strahan to jail.--Jordan Miller and Augustus Miller were called up to answer the charge of having unlawfully broken a window and a door in the house of J. L. M
ely wounded, and are reported killed. Major Lawson, of Col. Henningsen's regiment, is wounded and a prisoner. Lieut. Miller, of the Jackson Guard, is shot through the shoulder. Gen. Wise was confined to his bed from pneumonia at Nag's Head. He and his staff are safe. Col. Richardson is also safe. Major Fry, Capt. Wallace, Capt. Dickinson, Lieut. Carter and Lieut. Bigger are prisoners. Capt. Farish, and Burr and Levy, of the Richmond Light Infantry Blues, are safe. Frank Johnson a prisoner, unhurt. Dr. W. O. Shepherdson, well known as "Bohemian," correspondent of the Dispatch, was captured. Col. Henningsen and his artillery are safe at Elizabeth City. All our guns in the batteries were spiked before surrendering to the Yankees. Our loss in killed is slight; that of the enemy is very heavy. J. H. Prance. Norfolk, Feb. 9--P. M.--A steamer arrived to-night with intelligence that the Federal captured Roanoke Island yesterday afternoon at 4 o
d....16 Wounded. Fifty-ninth Virginia.--Lt. Walker, slight, in the leg; Geo. Collin, severe, in elbow; Thos. Robbins, Co. B, severe, in knee; William David, severe, in thigh and abdomen; John Ray, flesh wound, in hand; Lt. Edgar Miller, slight, in shoulder; John Lawson, in arm; Jas. A. Snell, in arm; Dennis Cussick, finger shot off; John smith, severe, left eye; Wm. E. Quigley, in head; Lt. Isadore Potier, in leg. Forty sixth Virginia.--Frank Gamble, Co. A, wounded in leg; Frank Johnson, Co. A, wounded in leg; Henry Adler, severe fracture, thigh; G. W. Jarvis, flesh wound, in foot; Lt. Fred. Carter, slight wound, arm; Wm. Nute, slight, in leg; Robert Thomas, Co. I, slight, in neck; Chas. H. Thompson, slight, head; Benj. Burgess, right knee; David Bishop, right shoulder, with fracture. 31st North Carolina.--J. W. Wardsworth, in lungs, probably mortal; Wm. H. Werner, right arm. 8th North Carolina.--Corporal J. H. Anderson, finger shot off; James W. Haney, flesh