hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry 24 4 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Browsing named entities in Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry. You can also browse the collection for John S. Kidder or search for John S. Kidder in all documents.

Your search returned 14 results in 8 document sections:

Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry, Chapter 1: the organization of the 121st New York Volunteers (search)
. Captain, John D. Fish; 1st Lieut., D. M. Kenyon; 2d Lieut., Charles E. Staring. Company E. Captain, Douglas Campbell; 1st Lieut., Theodore Sternburg; 2d Lieut., Harrison Van Horn. Company F. Captain, Nelson 0. Wendell; 1st Lieut., Byron T. Peck; 2d Lieut., Frank G. Bolles. Company G. Captain, Edwin Park; 1st Lieut., Charles T. Ferguson; 2d Lieut., J. D. Clyde. Company H. Captain, John Ramsey; 1st Lieut., W. F. Doubleday; 2d Lieut., Marcus R. Casler. Company I. Captain, John S. Kidder; 1st Lieut., John D. P. Douw; 2d Lieut., Delavan Bates. Company K. Captain, Sacket M. Olin; 1st Lieut., Andrew E. Mather. By order of the Commander in Chief (Signed) Jno. Hillhouse, Adjutant General. The regiment was mustered into service under the above named officers, and for a week occupied Camp Schuyler, numbering 30 officers and 946 enlisted men. Besides these there had been enlisted 117 men who on August 20th were discharged by the Surgeon's certificate for disability.
s newly ordered and cleaned up, inspections were more rigid, and the officers were promptly taken to task for any slackness on their part. When orders came on the 30th of October to march on the next day at 6 o'clock a. m., Company C was in command of 2d Lieut. Bradt, Captain Campbell was the only commissioned officer in Company E. Company I was in command of Orderly Sergeant J. W. Cronkite. The following named Company Officers were unfit for duty and in hospital: Captain Moon, Fish and Kidder; Lieutenants Bates, Van Horn, Cameron and Quartermaster Story. Lieut. J. P. Douw had previously been detailed to duty as Ordnance Officer of the Division. The movement ordered for the 31st of October was the beginning of a campaign under General McClellan to force General Lee back from the line of the Potomac. It was conceived and begun under the principle that had controlled all of General McClellan's strategy up to this time, viz., that military success consisted in strategic movement
Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry, Chapter 9: under Grant in the Wilderness (search)
ant George W. Quackenbush, on special duty with Ambulance Corps. Company D. Captain John D. Fish, A. A. Gen. on Brigade Staff, First Lieutenant Daniel D. Jackson, commanding company. Company E. Captain James W. Cronkite, Second Lieutenant James W. Johnston. Company F. Captain A. M. Tyler, on Division Staff, First Lieutenant Silas E. Pierce, commanding company. Company G. Captain Frank Gorton. Company H. Captain Charles A. Butts, Second Lieutenant H. C. VanScoy. Company I. Captain John S. Kidder, First Lieutenant Frank W. Foote. Company K. Captain John D. P. Douw, First Lieutenant Lewis C. Bartlett on Brigade Staff, Second Lieutenant Sheldon J. Redway. The many vacancies among commissioned officers were fully compensated by the character and efficiency of the non-commissioned officers, who in the coming campaign were destined and proved capable of upholding the honor and reputation of the regiment. The 6th Corps as reorganized, under the command of General Sedgwick
Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry, Chapter 10: the tenth of May (search)
shed all that could be expected of brave men. They went forward with perfect confidence, fought with unflinching courage, and retired only on receipt of a written order, after having expended the ammunition of their dead and wounded comrades. In this engagement the 121st had one officer and thirty-two men killed and a large number wounded. Captain Butts was wounded in the advance upon the works, and while being assisted to the rear was again hit and instantly killed. Major Galpin, Captains Kidder, Jackson and Cronkite and Lieutenants Foote, Johnson and Tucker were wounded. Lieutenant Foote was wounded while trying to turn the guns of the battery just captured upon the enemy. He fell into the hands of the enemy, and was for a long time supposed to have been killed. Lieut. Jas. W. Johnston, on mounting the parapet, had a bayonet thrust through one of his thighs when raising his sword to strike down the Confederate who had thrust the bayonet through him. The Rebel begged for mer
Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry, Chapter 18: back to Petersburg and winter quarters (search)
At this point in his narrative Colonel Beckwith gives a very amusing account of his experiences while on furlough granted on the 25th of April, which he managed to prolong to the 14th of March. During the winter an effort was made to fill up the regiment so that the officers who had been commissioned, but could not be mustered in, because the number of enlisted men was below the required standard, might receive their full rank. These were Lieutenant Colonel Olcott, Captain Cronkite and Captain Kidder, who had been commissioned respectively Colonel, Lieutenant Colonel and Major. Several recruiting officers were sent home to Herkimer and Otsego Counties to obtain recruits, but their efforts did not avail to fill the regiment and the 1st of March found the regiment still deficient in numbers. Application was then made to the Secretary of War for the assignment of four hundred recruits to the regiment. This application was endorsed as follows: By General McKenzie, commanding the brig
Isaac O. Best, History of the 121st New York State Infantry, Chapter 20: Appomattox and after (search)
saved country, a triumphant flag. But the 6th Corps was not permitted to see the surrender of the Confederate Army. It was marched back through Farmville and thence to Burksville Junction on Richmond to Danville railroad. There the 121st received the 400 drafted men and substitutes that had been promised it, and the officers that had been holding commissions for over a year were mustered into the service. Lieutenant Colonel Cronkite immediately resigned his commission in order that Major Kidder might be commissioned as Lieutenant Colonel. The itinerary of the march from Appomattox to Burksville was as follows: April 11th through New Store and Curdsville to the vicinity of Little Willis River, April 12th through Farmville to Sandy River. April 13th past Rice's Station on the South Side railroad to Burksville. It was at Rice's Station that the battle was being fought at the time of our fight at Sailor's Creek, and being won by our forces, and which cut off any possible escape
to March 24, 1863; E. Olcott, April 10, 1863 to April 19, 1865; John S. Kidder, May 22 to June 25, 1865. Majors: E. Olcott, August 23, 1862 W. Cronkite and Henry M. Galpin. Majors: Lewis C. Bartlett, John S. Kidder, Francis W. Morse and Robert P. Wilson. Company a Captainstrong, February 10 to June 25, 1865. Company I Captains: John S. Kidder, August 18, 1862 to June 22, 1865. First Lieutenants: J. D. casions: Major James W. Cronkite to be Lieutenant Colonel; Captains John S. Kidder, James W. Johnston, Daniel D. Jackson and Hiram S. VanScoyion, and he appointed a temporary committee, consisting of Comrades John S. Kidder, James W. Cronkite, Clinton Beckwith, Douglas Campbell, Frrmanent Gettysburg memorial committee was appointed as follows: John S. Kidder, James W. Cronkite, Clinton Beckwith, Timothy Dasey, Andrew Davrganized by electing as officers, President J. W. Cronkite, Treasurer J. S. Kidder, Secretary Frank E. Lowe, Corresponding Secretary J. M. Lov
Company I Captains: John S. Kidder, August 18, 1862 to June 22, 1865. First Lieutenants: J. D. Douw, August 23, 1862 to April 23, 1863; D. Bates, May 4, 1863 to March 15, 1864; F. W. Foote, March 16 to September 24, 1864; J. H. Heath, December 24, 1864 to February 17, 1865; P. R. Woodcock, February 22 to June 25, 1865. Second Lieutenants: D. Bates, August 18, 1862 to May 4, 1863; F. W. Foote, July 20, 1862 to March 16, 1864; J. A. Taft, April 29 to June 25, 1865.