Your search returned 20 results in 8 document sections:

d antiquities, National museum, Stockholm, Sweden, is on the exchange list of the Reg-Ister. Medford was never formally incorporated as a Town. The first reference to Medford in Records of the State is 1630. Colonial Records, vol. 1, P. 59. Members. Life, members since the annual March meeting:— Gilbert Hodges. Andrew F. Curtin. Hon. Samuel C. Lawrence. Mrs. Carrie R. Lawrence. Hon. Charles S. Baxter. Hon. William Cushing Wait. Miss Zipporah Sawyer. Hon Daniel A. Gleason. Hon. Daniel A. Gleason. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Walter F. Cushing. David H. Brown. Hon. Lewis H. Lovering. Edward P. Boynton. Leonard Tufts. New members since the annual March meeting:— Charles M. Ludden. Mrs. Charles M. Ludden. Harry Highley. James Mott Hallowell. George W. Mills, M. D. James C. D. Clark, M. D. Samuel C. L. Haskell. George C. Tidden. Francis H. Bridge. Frederick W. Gow. James Morrison. Wm. H. Couch. William P. Martin. George W. Nichols
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., The Lawrence Light Guard.—Continued. (search)
izens, High School Cadets, and Fire Department. The week was no play-time, for the weather was wet and stormy, and the regiment was exercised in war-time drills. A sharp but unrewarded watch was kept for the Spanish fleet. Orders were received that on the last day of June the Light Guard was to march to South Framingham and be mustered into the United States service. On the evening of June 29, the Opera House was packed to suffocation. Ex-commander George L. Goodale presided. Mayor Lewis H. Lovering made the opening address. Members of the City Government and the Grand Army, clergymen and officers of the company spoke words of inspiration and enthusiasm. Col. Whitney spoke in his quiet way, and stated that Co. E was the first in the regiment to report its ranks full (106 men). The most affecting scene was when Capt. Hutchins, at the close of his remarks, grasped the hand of Col. Whitney, who had enlisted under him, a boy, in 1862. Together they had been through terrible ba
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 15., The story of the West Medford Baptist Church. (search)
The story of the West Medford Baptist Church. by Frank Woods Lovering. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, April 17, 1916.] THE life-story of the West Medford Baptist Church spans a f, notably with Mr. and Mrs. George E. Crosby, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin E. Stevens, and Mr. and Mrs. Lewis H. Lovering. A committee was selected to examine definitely into the matter of a church site, and ae church. The committee bought the parcel of land which Mr. Spaulding agreed to sell, and Lewis H. Lovering purchased from the society the two lots adjoining the parsonage lot on the east. There no and later make a contract. The drawings of architect G. Leslie Nichols were adopted, and Lewis H. Lovering was selected as builder. Work on the parsonage was begun immediately, and when completed he following Wednesday afternoon. The Rev. George C. Lorimer, late pastor of Tremont Temple, Mayor Lovering the builder, and other men of prominence made addresses at a banquet later in the day. At th
After twenty-five years. The gathering on Jan. 4 (1918) of fourteen members of Medford's first city government, with the auditor and collector who have served continuously, was surely a pleasant and notable occasion. That so many have survived the stress of the years and enjoyed the reunion, is worthy of notice in Medford annals. They were Aldermen William Cushing Wait, Walter F. Cushing, Lewis H. Lovering and J. R. Teel, with Richard Gibson, E. C. Ellis, George T. Sampson, Herman L. Buss, William H. Casey, Allston H. Evans, N. E. Wilber, E. F. Kakas, Charles H. Loomis and E. I. Langell, of the council. As their former clerk Langell called the roll, fitting notice was taken of Those who answer not, however we may call. Auditor Cummings and Collector Hayes were guests of the evening. After the dinner came the smoke talk with everybody in it and a final word by chairman Loomis to close the First Session. Judge Wait presided over the Second Session opening court (?) with words
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 24., Medford Historical Society. (search)
arlow. Life Member. David R. Harvey. Samuel C. L. Haskell. George S. Hatch. Charles M. Hayden. Martha E. Hayes. John H. Hooper. E. V. Hooper. Elizabeth W. Howe. D. Webster Johnson. Philip A. Jerguson. Charles S. Jacobs, Mrs. Frances E. Jackson. George H. Lane. Carolyn R. Lawrence. Life Member. Rosewell B. Lawrence. Life Member. William B. Lawrence. Life Member. William Leavens. Emma D. Leavens. Agnes W. Lincoln. Life Member. Charles H. Loomis. Lewis H. Lovering. Life Member. Frank W. Lovering. Clara C. Lovering. Moses W. Mann. Elizabeth J. C. Mann. Leonard J. Manning. Martha J. Martin. George B. Means. J. C. Miller, Jr. Ernest B. Moore. Grace M. Moore. Warren T. Morse. Frances W. McGill. Frank L. Mason. Thomas H. Norton. Winthrop I. Nottage. Joseph E. Ober. George W. Parsons. Joseph W. Phinney. Life Member. Priscilla C. Phinney. Melvin W. Pierce. S. U. Prescott. Life Member. Edward S. Randall. George H. Re
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 28., The beginning of a New village. (search)
pal) and the West Medford Congregational Churches were organized, and in ‘73 erected their houses of worship, the latter completed and dedicated late in ‘74. These two church buildings were the first structures to be erected on the two plots of land between the railroad and Boston avenue. The next was the four-story brick block on Harvard avenue in ‘75. This was begun by J. C. McNeil in the summer. He failed to complete it and the land owners had to take it over and finish it. Then Lewis H. Lovering opened a meat and provision store in November, and George Spaulding a grocery in it. Six five-room tenements were above the stores, but slow in occupancy. The land company had in ‘72 added to its holdings and also burdens, by purchase of the Osgood estate at the Hillside, and had sold some twenty-five lots to a number of men styled the Quincy Associates, but six of whom erected houses on Adams street. By 1875 very little building was in progress and times were very hard. Not til
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Medford Historical Society. (search)
n. Mrs. T. P. Gooding. Mrs. J. H. Googins. Dr. Charles M. Green. J. N. Gunn, New York City. George J. Hackett. Miss Charlotte B. Hallowell. Life MemberMiss Catherine E. Harlow. David R. Harvey. Samuel C. L. Haskell. George S. Hatch. Miss Martha E. Hayes. Life MemberMrs. Charles S. Jacobs. Philip A. Jerguson. D. Webster Johnson. J. Stevens Kadesch. George H. Lane. Edward H. Larkin. Life MemberHon. William B. Lawrence. Mrs. Emma D. Leavens. Life MemberHon. Lewis H. Lovering. Frank W. Lovering. Mrs. Clara C. Lovering. Moses W. Mann. Mrs. Elizabeth J. C. Mann. Frank L. Mason. George B. Means. Mrs. Mabel W. Meloon. Joseph C. Miller, Jr. Ernest B. Moore. Mrs. Grace M. Moore. Winthrop I. Nottage. Joseph E. Ober. Miss Edith R. Orne. George W. Parsons. Life MemberJoseph W. Phinney. Mrs. Priscilla C. Phinney. Charles H. Phinney. Melvin W. Pierce. Life MemberMrs. Mary Gertrude Prescott, Lexington. George H. Remele, Palo Alto, Cal
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 29., Development of the business section of West Medford. (search)
ilroad, whose second station house, in 1854, was closely in the acute angle west of the tracks, where, until 1876, a flagman guarded the crossing. In July, 1875, an adventurer, McNeill, began the erection of the four-story red brick block on Harvard avenue, but before completing it left for parts unknown, leaving some to mourn their losses. Then the former land owner finished the same. In this were two stores and six five-room tenements. G. H. Spaulding & Co. opened a grocery and L. H. Lovering a market in December, 1875. A two-story building in the rear of this housed blacksmith Dean, wheelwright Morey, and upstairs, for several years, Clarkson made tinware and steam cookers. In 1875 S. S. Holton, Jr., had built a somewhat sizable stable of elaborate appearance on Holton street near his home. In this Cunningham, who had started an express line to Boston and omnibus line to Medford, and Lovering's market teams had quarters. It had not long been completed when he followed