Your search returned 63 results in 22 document sections:

1 2 3
ng have been added to membership in the Society since April 1st, 1901:— Mrs. Lizzie D. Ayer. William S. Beekman. Andrew Curtin. Charles E. Finney. Walter D. Hall, M. D. Mrs. Eugenie Hatch. Rev. Elijah Horr. William B. Lawrence. Moses W. Mann. Warren T. Morse. George B. Preston. John M. Preston. Edgar A. Thomas. Mrs. Edgar A. Thomas. Forgotten industries and enterprises. by Moses W. Mann. IN almost every town or city may be found traces, faint, perhaps, yet bearing siMoses W. Mann. IN almost every town or city may be found traces, faint, perhaps, yet bearing silent testimony of pursuits once followed or perhaps of enterprises abandoned. All such have had their effect, beneficial or otherwise, upon the community; and upon investigation prove of interest, as showing what spirit of improvement has been rife in the past. Medford is no exception, and while the Historical Society is doing good work, in its memorials of the more ancient matters, possibly some of those of the earlier half (or later) of the last century may be forgotten. The passer-by on
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 5., Medford Historical Society. (search)
enton. Recording Secretary. Herbert A. Weitz. Corresponding Secretary. George S. T. Fuller. Standing committees. Publication. Helen T. Wild, Chairman. David H. Brown. C. H. Loomis. George S. T. Fuller. H. A. Weitz. Moses W. Mann. Membership. Rosewell B. Lawrence, Chairman. John H. Hooper. Mrs. Ellen M. Gill. Calvin H. Clark. Jessie M. Dinsmore. Walter F. Cushing. Frank W. Lovering. Lily B. Atherton. C. B. Gleason. E. D. Brown. Papers and Addressesman. Walter H. Cushing. Charles H. Morss. John H. Hooper. William Cushing Wait. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Historic Sites. L. L. Dame, Chairman. L. J. Manning. Miss Hetty F. Wait. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Mrs. J. M. G. Plummer. Moses W. Mann. Samuel Cushing. Genealogy. Geo. S. Delano, Chairman. Miss Helen T. Wild. Miss Ella S. Hinckley. Miss Eliza M. Gill. David H. Brown. Miss Hetty F. Wait. Gilbert Hodges. Frederick H. Kidder. Heraldry. Benjamin P. Hollis
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 5., Medford Historical Society, Seventh year, 1902-1903. (search)
Medford Historical Society, Seventh year, 1902-1903. October 20.—Time-keeping in a Medford Home two hundred Years Ago. Mr. John Albree, Jr., Swampscott, and Social Meeting. November 17.—Medford in 1847. Mr. Charles Cummings. December 15.—The Middlesex Canal. (Illustrated.) Mr. Moses W. Mann. January 19.—The Environment and Tendencies of Colonial Life. (Illustrated.) Rev. George M. Bodge of Westwood. February 16.—The Baptist Church of Medford. Mrs. Amanda H. Plummer. March 16.—Annual Meeting. April 20.—Rev. John Pierpont: His Life and Work. Rev. Henry C. DeLong. May 18.—The 39th Massachusetts Regiment in the Civil War. Hon. C. H. Porter of Quincy. Committee on Papers and Addresses. David H. Brown. Walter H. Cushing. Charles H. Morss. John H. Hooper. William Cushing Wait. Miss A
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 6., Medford Historical Society. (search)
responding Secretary. George S. T. Fuller. Librarian and Curator. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Standing Committees. Publication. Miss Helen T. Wild, Chairman. David H. Brown. Henry M. Begien. George S. T. Fuller. H. A. Weitz. Moses W. Mann. Membership. Rosewell B. Lawrence, Chairman. John H. Hooper. Mrs. Ellen M. Gill. Calvin H. Clark. Miss Jessie M. Dinsmore. Miss Lily B. Atherton. Walter F. Cushing. Clifton Loring. A. M. Stickney. Mortimer E. Wilber. PercyChairman Walter H. Cushing. Charles H. Morss. John H. Hooper. William Cushing Wait. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Historic Sites. John H. Hooper, Chairman L. J. Manning. Francis A. Wait. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Mrs. J. M. G. Plummer. Moses W. Mann. Frederick H. Kidder. Genealogy. Geo. S. Delano, Chairman Miss Ella S. Hinckley. Miss Eliza M. Gill. David H. Brown. Miss Hetty F. Wait. Gilbert Hodges. Mrs. Emmie N. Cleaves. Heraldry. Benjamin P. Hollis, Chairman. F.
ear ending March, 1907. President. Will C. Eddy. Vice-Presidents. Rosewell B. Lawrence. George S. Delano. Moses W. Mann. Frederick H. Kidder. Treasurer. Benjamin F. Fenton. Recording Secretary. Percy W. Richardson. Corres. Miss Helen T. Wild, Chairman. David H. Brown. Miss Annie E. Durgin. George S. T. Fuller. Charles H. Loomis. Moses W. Mann. Membership. Percy W. Richardson, Chairman. Rosewell B. Lawrence. Leonard J. Manning. Mrs. Ellen M. Gill. ard W. Teele. Elisha B. Curtis. Edward H. Balcom. Charles R. Byram. B. Frank Bullard. Papers and addresses. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. David H. Brown. Charles H. Morss. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Rev. Frank I. Paradise. Henry E. Scott. Historic Sites. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. Leonard J. Manning. Francis A. Wait. Hall Gleaso N. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Frederick H. Kidder. Charles N. Jones. Genealogy. George S. Delano, Chairman. Miss Eliza M. Gill. Rev. Clarenc
Hingham. December 18.—Russia and the Russo-Japanese war. Rev. H. W. Stebbins of Boston. January 15.—Tufts College. Rev. F. W. Hamilton, D. D., Acting President. February 19.—Lemuel Cox, (1743-1806) Medford Bridge Builder and Inventor. Mr. Walter K. Watkins of Malden. March 19.—Annual Meeting. April 16.—Side Lights on the Stamp Act and the Boston Tea Party. Charles G. Chick, Esq., President Hyde Park Historical Society. May 21.—Ye Olde First Meeting House of Medford. Mr. Moses W. Mann. Supplementary course. December 2.—Japan and the Japanese-Russian war. Marshall P. Thompson, Esq., Boston. January 6.—The Metropolitan Park System. Illustrated. Mr. John Woodbury, Sec. of Commission, Boston. February 3.—Medford in 1865. Hon. Fred Gowing of Belmont. March 3.—The Election of 1860. Mr. J. H. Carfrey, Supt. of Schools, Wakefield. April 7.—The Bradbury Family. Miss Eliza M. Gill. May 5.—Charles Brooks and his work for Normal Schools.
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 10., Medford Historical Society. (search)
ecretary. George S. T. Fuller. Librarian and Curator. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. Custodian of real estate. Moses W. Mann. Standing Committees. Publication. Miss Helen T. Wild, Chairman. George S. T. Fuller. David H. Brown. Charles H. Loomis. Miss Annie E. Durgin. Moses W. Mann. Membership. Elisha B. Curtis, Chairman. Edward C. Ellis. Mrs. Ellen M. Gill. Charles R. Byram. Mrs. Julia W. Dalrymple. Papers and addresses. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss AMoses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss Agnes W. Lincoln. David H. Brown. Henry E. Scott. Charles H. Morss. Historic Sites. Moses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Leonard J. Manning. Frederick H. Kidder. Francis A. Wait. Charles N. Jones. Hall Gleason. GenealogyMoses W. Mann, Chairman. Miss Ella L. Burbank. Leonard J. Manning. Frederick H. Kidder. Francis A. Wait. Charles N. Jones. Hall Gleason. Genealogy. George S. Delano, Chairman. Rev. Clarence L. Eaton. Miss Eliza M. Gill. Miss Hetty F. Wait. Mrs. James E. Cleaves. Heraldry. Fred H. C. Woolley, Chairman. John Albree. William A. Thompson Charles B. Dunham. Orrin E. Hodsdon.
ss. December 17.—The Royall House and its people. Miss Helen T. Wild. January 21.—The Restoration of the Flag to Sumter. Illustrated. Capt. D. Eldredge of Boston. February 18.—Some letters of Miss Lucy Osgood. Rev. Henry C. DeLong. March 18.—Annual Meeting. How I found the spinning Wheel. Mr. F. H. C. Woolley of Malden. April 15.—Women in the Civil War and now. Mrs. Sarah E. Fuller. May 20.—The first Methodist Episcopal Church in Medford. Mrs. Abby D. Saxe. Supplementary course. December 1.—Russia of the Past and of the Future. Prof. Leo Wiener of Harvard University. January 5.—Present Day Aspects in Latin America. Senorita Carolina Holman Huidobro of Boston. February 2.—Over Boston Neck to Mystic (Medford). Mr. Walter K. Watkins of Malden. March 2.—Rambles in the Western Wilds. Illustrated. Mr. Moses W. Mann. April 6.—From the Equator and Beyond. Mr. Sylvester Baxter of Malden. May 4.—Medford Fifty Years Ago. Mr. Charle
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 11., Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. (search)
Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. by Moses W. Mann, West Medford. [Read before the Medford Historical Society, May 5, 1906.] TWO hundred and ten years ago there was erected in the eastern border of that thriving portion of our fair city that is known as West Medford an humble building our fathers called there meting-house. As far as is known not much has been written in the way of narrative about it (at least for a half century), yet its building marked an era in the history of our peculiar (town), that was founded in 1630. It may seem singular, yes, peculiar, that no house for the purpose of public worship was erected in Medford for sixty-five years, when we recall that in other places the church was gathered when the town was planted. Perhaps it was logical to do the planting first and the gathering afterward. Such was the case in 1642 on our northern border in the settlement of Woburn. One of its founders records the fact that it was unnatural for a right N. E. man t
Medford Historical Society Papers, Volume 11., Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. (search)
Ye olde Meting-House of Meadford. by Moses W. Mann, West Medford. [Continued from Vol. II, No. 2.] THE seats in the pews were hinged, and turned up on edge as the people stood during the long prayer. This concluded, they were turned down again, and the result was like a fusillade of musketry all over the house. Mr. Porter's pastorate was all too short, as he died after serving the church and town nine years, and was succeeded by the Rev. Ebenezer Turell in 1724. He, like his predecessor, took unto himself a wife soon after coming to Medford. Still more room was needed for the accommodation of the people, and after much discussion the town built a new and much larger meeting-house just beyond the brook, and on August 21, 1727, worshipped in the subject of our sketch for the last time. The selectmen were directed to sell it, for the best advantage for the town. I find no report of their doings in the matter on the record; but upon the treasurer's book under date of J
1 2 3